Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

View Poll Results: What do you personally think about the fin .
I like the fins , as they make the cars look wonderful 4 5.26%
I dislike the fins as they make the cars look like a disgrace 36 47.37%
I really dont mind either way 17 22.37%
I don't really like the fins, but the teams are doing a good job with their liveries - so deal with it! 19 25.00%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 Jun 2012, 09:15 (Ref:3089991)   #1
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
BHF poll ...... the fin debate .

As there seems to be a lot of debate as to weather the fin looks good , bad or what ..... might be interesting to have a poll and get the figures on what people think and why .

This discussion is about the fin , not the holes .

Ive already said my bit on what I think about this in other threads .

I feel they are taking away from the cars , they are an aero screw up , and something needs to be done fast as Im loosing interest by the bucketfull very fast .

Yes , I have actually seen them and they are hideous .

Someone phrased it quite well . they said basically that they used to be able to tell the chassis from the shape , but now its more the livery that sets the various chassis apart .....

I couldnt have put it better myself .

I understand the ACO/Fia have admitted as much by saying they thought the fin didnt do the cars justice and would address the issue .

So , cast yer votes and opinions people .

Last edited by The Badger; 13 Jun 2012 at 09:23.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 10:35 (Ref:3090031)   #2
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No option for me, the closest would be "don't mind either way", but that's not really true. I think the cars would look better without them, but it's not that big a deal for me. It also seems to work as intended - it might be an aero screwup, but is there really a way to accomplish the same thing without forcing everyone to design and buy completely new chassis?
Old 13 Jun 2012, 10:41 (Ref:3090035)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Insufficient options G, so I added one (just because I can..... )
Old 13 Jun 2012, 10:48 (Ref:3090040)   #4
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
I don't buy into the whole "the fin makes the cars look the same" logic at all.

Would the R18 and the TS030 look more or less similar than they do now with the fins removed? I don't think so.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 11:24 (Ref:3090067)   #5
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Insufficient options G, so I added one (just because I can..... )
There is a name for people like you .....

Hope your having an excellant over there mate , wish you a nice sunny race with the odd shower just to spice it up a little ..... looking forward to hearing your story when you return . All the best to James too .
Old 13 Jun 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3090092)   #6
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
Poll lacks "don't like, but rather have them than flying cars" option.

Autosport (March):

Old 13 Jun 2012, 13:10 (Ref:3090130)   #7
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
No option for me, the closest would be "don't mind either way", but that's not really true. I think the cars would look better without them, but it's not that big a deal for me. It also seems to work as intended - it might be an aero screwup, but is there really a way to accomplish the same thing without forcing everyone to design and buy completely new chassis?
They're going to be forced to in 2014 anyway, so they may as well deal with it properly then and get rid of the band-aid fixes.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 13:53 (Ref:3090148)   #8
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by deggis View Post
Poll lacks "don't like, but rather have them than flying cars" option.

Autosport (March):

I would have gone for this one.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 23:00 (Ref:3090462)   #9
gregtummer
Veteran

gregtummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hopefully they eliminate it in 2014.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 23:11 (Ref:3090464)   #10
fiend540
Racer

United States
East Aurora NY
fiend540 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find the BHH worse than the BHF, but both are terrible looking hopefully there is a solution that will let them look like proper race cars again.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 23:31 (Ref:3090469)   #11
ForzaPorsche
Rookie

Finland
ForzaPorsche should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Strangely the BHH don't bother me nearly as much as BHF do. On a coupe the fins look passable, but on a open proto they are truly an eyesore IMO. Personally I think that the 908 was the best looking "fin car", and even that was down to the good livery design.

I hope that come 2014, the powers that be can come up with a more "elegant" solution to this dilemma.
Old 13 Jun 2012, 23:46 (Ref:3090474)   #12
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Having stood and watched them for 6 hours today, frankly, I really don't care that much. I barely notice them.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 03:54 (Ref:3090511)   #13
pach233
Veteran

United States
Greenville, SC
pach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpach233 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I honestly think they look terrible. The holes I don't mind as much as you don't really notice them as a spectator in person. Rebellion's cars looked so beautiful at Sebring without the fins that looking at them now is sad. As for not being able to tell cars apart. I've been a fan of the sport for 20 years and have never had as much trouble telling cars apart as I did with the P2s (all with fins) this year at Sebring. I think the fins are so overpowering that they make all the subtle distinguishing features of the chassis irrelevant. Between silent P1s and the BHFs this is the least attractive batch of cars to the senses we've ever had in my opinion. Please find another solution other than this eyesore band-aid.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 05:15 (Ref:3090517)   #14
miatanut
Veteran

United States
Seattle
miatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmiatanut should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is there any rule that says they can't be clear plastic? They would gradually get dirty. They would weigh more and that's weight way above the center of gravity, but if they bother so many people that much, maybe that would help.

I think they look just fine on the coupes, and I've always far preferred the coupes to the spyders. The only spyder I've ever liked was the Gulf Kremer K8.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 10:46 (Ref:3090699)   #15
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post
.....but if they bother so many people that much, maybe that would help.

But do they? Do they really? Yes, we'd all like to see the cars without them, but 19 people (so far) on an internet forum hate them. Plenty of others really don't care that much now we've got used to them and plenty of others agree that if they provide additional safety for the driver, that's good enough reason. We'd all love to have a less visually intrusive solution, but in the scheme of things, it matters little. I'd love to see F1 cars return to 60's style without wings, but who am I......
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:01 (Ref:3090718)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

No comment ..... Im really biting my tongue here
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:09 (Ref:3090727)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
We'll draw blood from you yet......

Hell, you're entitled to your opinion, but 'hills' and 'beans' come to mind. I've been a grumpy old man for a long time, working for whom I do makes that inevitable, but one thing I've learned the hard way over the last 5-6 years is that expending energy on things over which you have zero influence is a total waste of time and effort.....

(It doesn't stop me moaning about the run down to The Esses though.... ).
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:14 (Ref:3090736)   #18
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
but one thing I've learned the hard way over the last 5-6 years is that expending energy on things over which you have zero influence is a total waste of time and effort
How else do you think the ACO are aware that public opinion doesnt really like the barge boards and are addressing a more pleasing formula ?

From people harping on about it ..... what else . But I have refused to comment further , for fear of becoming a grumpy old man !!! ..... and your just drawing me out and winding me up to comment LMAO .
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:15 (Ref:3090738)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
So, which member here is the senior official from the ACO.......?

Just because Audi, Rebellion etc. etc. read our comments doesn't mean the ACO do as well - but I guess it
anything's possible.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:22 (Ref:3090747)   #20
The Badger
Veteran

How else do they know that they are not that pleaseing to the eye ..... public opinion .

Thats it ..... Im not discussing this anymore , your really trying me ..... lol

Now , stop winding me up and go watch your emulsion dry with James .
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:23 (Ref:3090750)   #21
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
OK mate, I'll leave you gently simmering....

We're off to the circuit in 5 mins for a wander and then to find a nice spot to watch - Lancias!!!
Old 14 Jun 2012, 11:40 (Ref:3090770)   #22
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
OK mate, I'll leave you gently simmering....

We're off to the circuit in 5 mins for a wander and then to find a nice spot to watch - Lancias!!!
Hope they have put BFF on them for ya !!! Have a good one .

Oh , whats the weather doing , and what are they saying for later ?
Old 14 Jun 2012, 15:11 (Ref:3090888)   #23
cdsvg
Racer

Australia
cdsvg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ayse, bringing some balance to the debate is fine, but I think you are understating it a bit...even the ACO and FIA say they are "totally unaesthetic"!
Old 14 Jun 2012, 16:10 (Ref:3090929)   #24
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
MulsanneMike has said the fins are a band-aid, and he's an aerodynamicist!

Even with a good livery, I lose the shape of the car in a lot of cases, and from a lot of angles. The aesthetics, and the differences between the different cars, are a significant part of what turned me on to sportscars in the first place. The fins diminish these aspects markedly, and I don't watch the ALMS or Le Mans to see what look like breadvans in profile running around the track.

Maybe you guys who don't think it matters so much should look at the Ferrari 250 GTO Breadvan (funny the first few times, but the humor wears off), or the Porsche 928 Wagon (it's at the Porsche Museum, and it's a real car, not a model). And I almost forgot the Volvo P1800 Estate. You get the idea.

And it's kind of telling when the "don't like's" are around 70%.
Old 14 Jun 2012, 16:17 (Ref:3090932)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I can only respond on looks:

I can NOW see past them and notice them very little since all cars currently have them on the car.

In the end, an LMP sportscar is still the sexiest vehicle on the planet, even with the fin.