Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

View Poll Results: How Good was the Race on a 1-5 Scale?
5 - Excellent 4 5.13%
4 - Good 39 50.00%
3 - Average 26 33.33%
2 - Bad 5 6.41%
1 - Pathetic 4 5.13%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 5 May 2003, 01:09 (Ref:589685)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How Good Was the Race?

On a scale of 1-5, how good was the race? I'd rate it a 3.5. San Marino was a 2, but I quite enjoyed this race. We saw Fernando's great drive, keeping the prancing horse honest, Firman, da Matta and Webber opening their points balance, some impressive racing between Ralf/JPM, Alonso/Ralf (that was a great scrape), and even between Firman/Fisichella (anyone notice Firman overtake Fisi?). Not a bad race at all.

If that was the worst F1 races could be, then I'd be happy.

Last edited by DNQ; 5 May 2003 at 01:11.
Old 5 May 2003, 01:34 (Ref:589696)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I give it a 4! Kimi was a non-starter unfortunately but the battles in the mid-field were good fun to watch and the pace of the Renault was excellent. It almost reminded me of those classic Mika-Michael battles.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 5 May 2003, 01:40 (Ref:589700)   #3
Speed
Veteran

Panama
Panama, Rep. of Panama
Speed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Better than average I think... 4 !
Old 5 May 2003, 01:49 (Ref:589704)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A 4! Great action with alot of passing, just the way it should be! Loved to watch Ralf lock em up, Alonso was terrific, points for DaMatta, and Firman, but best of all, TGF and Ferrari on top again!!

A real good one, keep em coming!!

Danica Patrick
Old 5 May 2003, 02:04 (Ref:589708)   #5
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think it was pretty good even though a Ferrari won.

Battles throughout the field, a superb drive by Alonso, Ralf 'Mobile Chicane' Schumacher, Jordans battling Minardis, da Matta scoring, Webber doing well, incidents, action.

Good stuff.
Old 5 May 2003, 05:42 (Ref:589763)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Average to poor.
Old 5 May 2003, 06:21 (Ref:589776)   #7
bcobbus
Racer

bcobbus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like others I voted for it being a GOOD race. It was actually entertaining, but nothing to really put it in the history books...
Old 5 May 2003, 06:46 (Ref:589790)   #8
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jacques' car fails again... what a surprise!

On second thought it wasn't that bad.
Could someone possibly change my 'Bad' vote to 'Average'?
Old 5 May 2003, 06:48 (Ref:589793)   #9
ozrevhead
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide, Australia
ozrevhead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it was great - 4 id give it

alonso was great and would of won if RALF handn't blocked him!

as for mark webber - WHHHHHHHHOOOO HOOOOOOOO! Great to see him rewarded for a great start to 2003!
Old 5 May 2003, 06:57 (Ref:589797)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd give it a 4, i thought it was the best F1 race in Spain for a long time.
Old 5 May 2003, 07:57 (Ref:589828)   #11
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah that's the thing, 1991 and 1996 have been pretty much the only oustanding races at this circuit, so it was nice to see a good race with a bit of passing, strategy, etc. I enjoyed it.
Old 5 May 2003, 08:24 (Ref:589840)   #12
badoer fan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
badoer fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was good. Not excellent, but I've seen much worse, and better. I think it often depends on what happens to 'your' drivers. For me, I had Fernando going really well, and both Minardis still running.

However, thew highlight of the race was turning over to 3-day eventing during the adverts and seeing a woman fall head first into the lake
Old 5 May 2003, 08:31 (Ref:589847)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I very much enjoyed it. Quite a few nice battles and Alonso's efforts to try to keep with Schu was great. It would have been that little bit more entertaining to watch Kimi battle through as well but we can't have everything. If you didn't enjoy that race I'd say stop watching because you won't get much better in the dry these days.
Old 5 May 2003, 08:53 (Ref:589864)   #14
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Great drives from Michael, Fernando, Cristiano, Webber and Firman!
Old 5 May 2003, 09:01 (Ref:589867)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Justin's was pretty good too, Mac.

Although I'll no doubt get castigated for this, I also thought Ralf's drive in wayward Williams displayed competitiveness, a lack of which he has been often criticised for.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!
Old 5 May 2003, 09:18 (Ref:589876)   #16
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was excellent to good. Why? It was bone dry, on supposedly the most predictable, over tested track and yet it produced some top racing action. I was expecting to switch off half way once I saw what strategies where being used.

Top jobs by Renault and Toyota. Their cars have come a long way. Williams put in a good team performance, with 2 finishers. We had Wilson fight drive like a devil whenever he could to gain places and hold onto it like a man possesed, Firman do the same to hold Button and Heidfield down, Ralf under pressure do the same against DaMatta who pulled himself off the bottom to prove his worth and make some nice moves on a super defensive Ralf, nearly making some stick but I'd say pulling out to keep his points.
(2 in the hand worth more than three before YOU'RE in the bush)
And of course, Michael doing a top job, and Rubens doing a good job but not getting his setup right.

Overall a damn good show.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 5 May 2003, 09:58 (Ref:589889)   #17
gringottsdirect
Racer

United Kingdom
50 Rue St Georges Paris
gringottsdirect should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I voted 4, best Spanish dry race for a while.
Old 5 May 2003, 10:49 (Ref:589919)   #18
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nothing Special
Old 5 May 2003, 12:38 (Ref:589973)   #19
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would have been better if they had just restarted the race rather than sending the safety car out.
Old 5 May 2003, 12:51 (Ref:589982)   #20
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I voted for GOOD its a good as Spain can get really . A few stand outs like
Webber lonely solid drive , Da Matta ( if he was going to have a good race it was always going to be a spain), Alonso good solid drive , Ralf again put in a good drive , as to Firman & Wilson .
Ferrari not as shock & awh as we all though but a faily easy win from MS in any count. RB's car looked very skatey
Old 5 May 2003, 13:55 (Ref:590027)   #21
Lee Yue Yang
Racer

Singapore
Singapore
Lee Yue Yang should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Pretty good although it was a shame that they did'nt restart the race and give Kimi a chance to start the race in the spare car...
Old 5 May 2003, 14:11 (Ref:590043)   #22
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
*yawn*

Apart from DaMatta and Alonso...
Old 5 May 2003, 15:11 (Ref:590073)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I gave it a 4. There was lots of close racing, the strategies played out interestingly, and Alonso really starred. Great drives by Da Matta, Wilson and Firman added to the fun.
Old 5 May 2003, 15:27 (Ref:590089)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ok, now I'm confused. 63% votes went to a good race.

So what makes a race great (or boring)? Is the new rules? Hmmm.... lemme think, Kimi Raikonnen was forced to start last because he made 1 mistake. He raced 10 meters, 0.05 seconds worth. Certainly that did not improve entertaining.

Should be the track then. I'm even more confused. Quite indeed, that track does not have chicanes and is not designed by Tilke. Then again, that track it's renowned for being a dull track.

Work with me guys, why was Imola boring, and Barcelona was a good race? I'm not interested in "crashes" or "overtakings". Pretend I'm Maximillian Rufus Mosley and I'm trying to find a perfect receipt for a perfect Formula 1 race. So, what happened? What can be changed? (yeah-yeah: don't even bother with "ban refuelling". Funny races happened when 3 pitstops are a norm, and you will soon see 4 pitstop strategies and by the end of season 5 (five) pitstops.
Old 5 May 2003, 15:35 (Ref:590105)   #25
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I gave it a 3. No real changes at the front, but a good amount of tension, and some good action.

Last year's was a 1.