Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: Have VESA now and in the past deliberately influenced championships?
Yes 66 70.97%
No 27 29.03%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:22 (Ref:1744652)   #1
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Race Control vs Lowndes (Merged a few times)

It is difficult to understand the decision to impose a drive thru for #888 in race 3. It was my belief that if the driver addressed the stiuation within the balance of the lap , which Lowndes did then all would be OK. Race control imposed the drive thru within 30 seconds of the incident, surley any drive must be given some time to set up the situation where he can allow the car past without allowing say a second car to take advantage.
What's the view out there???
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:26 (Ref:1744656)   #2
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They obviously thought Lowndes didn't redress the situation at all or at least not quickly enough. In other times I've seen drivers back off immediately to redress. What exactly do the rules state in terms of how long you've got after the incident ?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:35 (Ref:1744664)   #3
TSR
Veteran

Australia
Sutherland Shire
TSR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
There will be more to come out of this, but it comes back down to the IPO
2015 V8Supercar Champion #5 PDA Mark Frosty Winterbottom
To Finish First, First you must Finish
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:40 (Ref:1744665)   #4
observer
Rookie

Australia
australia
observer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ungall had the corner, Craig should have let him through.
A bit silly from Craig i think, considering he had a good lead in the champs.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:42 (Ref:1744666)   #5
The Hrt Kid
Racer

The Hrt Kid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
those who watched the champ car race will notice the same thing happened to paul tracey. he had to give up his place to tags. He took as long if not longer to allow tags pass and there was No drive through for him.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:43 (Ref:1744667)   #6
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I didnt see if Lowndes readressed, he said he did but i havent seen any proof. Either way, it seemed race control didnt need much time to think about it. Im sure theres been plenty of instances before where theyve taken their sweet time, but in this instance they seemed to have no tolerance.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 07:51 (Ref:1744670)   #7
platinum motors
Rookie

Australia
Perth, WA
platinum motors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
Ungall had the corner, Craig should have let him through.
A bit silly from Craig i think, considering he had a good lead in the champs.
I agree that Russell had the corner and Craig should have backed off and let him through. I don't know whether there is a time limit set by race control as to how soon the driver must re-address the situation.

In my view Craig should have been given a lap to re-address the pass. If this is not done then a drive through should happen. However this was not done.

In my opinion ( valued or not ), I think Craig let Russell past soon enough and there should be no penalty.

Cheers

Neil
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:01 (Ref:1744673)   #8
dsg
Veteran

Thailand
Chonburi
dsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddsg should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I have had a look at the tape and Craig did let Russell back through. The incident occurred at chicane 1 and Craig re-addressed the situation before they crossed the control line on the same lap.

Craig was complaining a lot but I believe the IPO jumped the gun.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 08:03 (Ref:1744675)   #9
mongrelpunt
Rookie

mongrelpunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
But Skaife received a drive through in race 1 (i think) for shortcutting a chicane.

Were they just following precedent, or just jumping the gun?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:09 (Ref:1744726)   #10
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Craig didn't let Ingall past until the penalty was given. By then it's too late. They tried to secondguess the officials when it was plain to see that Lowndes gained advantage by shortcutting the chicane - he gained significant distance on Ingall by shortcutting. Lowndes was always in the wrong on that one, and it pains me that he didn't immediately concede the corner, or redress on the exit. Instead he drops back down the field and has his Champioship lead cut substantially.

Also, what ChampCar does has nothing to do with V8Supercars.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:16 (Ref:1744733)   #11
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
doesnt mean that we cant take some of the good things about champcar and use them
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1744736)   #12
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In regards to the race 3 Lowndes drive-thru, when channel 10 went back to Lowndes in car camera as the penalty was ordered, Ingall was in front of Lowndes then. It would be interesting to see the TEGA camera from the car and if it shows the stewards are wrong i bet they will not show the footage. In the Champ Car race Paul Tracy had the same problem as Lowndes he had to let Tagliani past and it took Tracy about 1&1/2 laps to re -address that problem and he did'nt get a drive-thru!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 09:53 (Ref:1744763)   #13
v8man
Racer

v8man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO
I didnt see if Lowndes readressed, he said he did but i havent seen any proof. Either way, it seemed race control didnt need much time to think about it. Im sure theres been plenty of instances before where theyve taken their sweet time, but in this instance they seemed to have no tolerance.
Considering that it took them all night to work out the CL and JC were warming their tyres up after turn 12 in the first race but can then make an instant decision on an incident that can be redressed
Does make you wonder, but then again the leader of the series come the same race last year received penalties as well, can't have someone as the winner of the series before the last round now can we
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:19 (Ref:1744803)   #14
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can vaguely remember at last years Gold Coast event that if a driver went through one of those chicanes, they had to come to a complete stop before re-entering the track. I wonder if that rule still applies and if it had something to do with the drive through?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:32 (Ref:1744812)   #15
leaso
Racer

leaso should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shame to see it happen but all I can say is the Ford teams need to work together in the intrest of winning a championship. SBR would know that Russel is in no situation to beat Rick Kelly at this stage in the points hunt and same applies to FRR would know that Brighty has no chance so the ideal solution to see ford retain the championship would be to give room to the runaway points leader.

Maybe that is something that only Holdern has worked out. Lokk at the HRT?HSV cars all worked together to help Rick. Also in my views Jason Richards maybe getting a little bonus at the end of the year from Uncle Tom to.

Anyway how does one go about obtaining a copy of the Supercars rules?

Seems that the rules are fudged a bit on both side so that they get the championship/race they want to a degree
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1744822)   #16
barney551
Veteran

barney551 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaso
Shame to see it happen but all I can say is the Ford teams need to work together in the intrest of winning a championship. SBR would know that Russel is in no situation to beat Rick Kelly at this stage in the points hunt and same applies to FRR would know that Brighty has no chance so the ideal solution to see ford retain the championship would be to give room to the runaway points leader.

Maybe that is something that only Holdern has worked out. Lokk at the HRT?HSV cars all worked together to help Rick. Also in my views Jason Richards maybe getting a little bonus at the end of the year from Uncle Tom to.

Anyway how does one go about obtaining a copy of the Supercars rules?

Seems that the rules are fudged a bit on both side so that they get the championship/race they want to a degree
I reiterate ... neither side shoud be working ntowards a contrived result in the championship ... each driver should win it on their own merits.

Reading the rules isnt the only thing ... what we the average punter dont see or hear is what goes on in the driver.managers and team owners meetings which happen at every track and set down the driving standards expected at particular parts of each circuit. This also includes penalties like redressing the situation and time limits for doing this etc.

its only whwn someone like Crompton bothers to tell us that we are aware .

In short its not all in the Rule book.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1744823)   #17
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FPR would more than likely be thinking of Winterbottom
Old 22 Oct 2006, 10:54 (Ref:1744836)   #18
kosher_pig
Rookie

kosher_pig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Supercar rules......u got to be joking?? They've got seperate rules depending on whether its morning or afternoon on each seperate day.....
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:14 (Ref:1744863)   #19
bahodie
Racer

Australia
Dreamworld
bahodie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
...and of course the two penalties Lowndes copped this weekend would have nothing to with making the race for the championship all the more tighter
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1744869)   #20
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I find it hillarious. 1-2-3 years ago, Marcos and Rusty WHINGED like a scalded dog about other fords not helping... yet, Rusty just buckets on through...

Rocks in glass houses?
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1744875)   #21
SkaifeHRT
Racer

Australia
Melbourne, Victoria Australia
SkaifeHRT has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hrt Kid
those who watched the champ car race will notice the same thing happened to paul tracey. he had to give up his place to tags. He took as long if not longer to allow tags pass and there was No drive through for him.
Comparing the Champ Car race to V8s is completely irrelevent, they have nothing to do with each other.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:34 (Ref:1744877)   #22
stmorri
Veteran

stmorri should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lowndes didn't have any option but to shortcut the chicane at that point and as has been said in another post FPR would have been thinking of Winterbottom as he has a chance of winning the championship.
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:43 (Ref:1744892)   #23
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmorri
Lowndes didn't have any option but to shortcut the chicane at that point
But he did, all he had to do was admit Russell had the corner, roll off the throttle and lose a couple of points not a masssive amount.
Ego's are a wonderful thing!
Old 22 Oct 2006, 11:45 (Ref:1744896)   #24
grange54
Rookie

Australia
Victoria
grange54 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Have just viewed the tape of the race and noticed "Aussie Bernie" in the background when Rick was being interviewed on the podium. AB has a smile on his face big enough to be part of a double act with the enterance to Luna Park.
You could just about hear a Hommer Simpson esk voice saying "points gap much closer, points gap much closer, points gap much closer" or was it "must thank Tim, must thank Tim, must thank Tim".
Old 22 Oct 2006, 12:21 (Ref:1744922)   #25
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep appalling. Quite sad that it has come to this. Lowdnes correctly feels ripped off, so should the fans.

Hold your head in shame V8SA.