Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racing Technology

Old 12 Nov 2004, 15:50 (Ref:1151690)   #1
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
brake pad selection

I have been using Mintex 1144s and 1155s since I started racing and find they don't seem to have a lot of bite and tend to glaze after a while. I dont seem to get any problems with fade though and wear rate is good at about 15 to 20 races per set.
What do you use and what would you recommend by way of a trial.
My car is about 250 bhp and weighs just over a ton, it's a replica D-type Jaguar
Suggestions please.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 16:37 (Ref:1151735)   #2
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Lack of 'bite' & glazing suggests that the pads you are using may be harder than you need. Changing to a softer (higher-friction) compound will help with this, at the risk of running into fade problems.
Old 12 Nov 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1151804)   #3
graham bahr
Veteran

England
cambs
graham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgraham bahr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
15-20 races a set??? thats amazing my beemer does about 5!

its not speed thats dangerous, just the sudden lack of it!
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:13 (Ref:1152287)   #4
schomosport
Racer

schomosport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
About 350 racing miles for my Formula Vauxhall Lotus using Mintex 1166. Discs were new all round, I'm not the fastest FVL pilot by any stretch of the imagination and was a bit surprised at what I think is quite a high wear rate.
Old 13 Nov 2004, 10:29 (Ref:1152298)   #5
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by schomosport
About 350 racing miles for my Formula Vauxhall Lotus using Mintex 1166. Discs were new all round, I'm not the fastest FVL pilot by any stretch of the imagination and was a bit surprised at what I think is quite a high wear rate.
Maybe if you are not the quickest you could be braking earlier and longer than you need to. Braking for a long time and with not quite as much pressure does more damage to pads and discs than short heavy braking as they don't get as long to cool.
Old 21 Nov 2004, 22:24 (Ref:1160316)   #6
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferodo 4003 compound is what i have found to be good. They come in very quick and have no problems with brake fade etc. These are fitted to an F3 monoposto and the rears last about 4 races and the fronts about 5-6
Old 21 Nov 2004, 23:00 (Ref:1160343)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Jaguar XJS, 1400kg.
I use 1155s and like them. Tried a few pads until we settled on these. Tried 1177s, but these didn't really go with a standard braking system and had little feel for negligible improvement in braking. The front 1155s probably last 6 or so races, but then the car is heavier than your 'D'. The rears last longer.

Ideally we want to fit a totally new braking system. It is quite under-braked compared to some.

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Nov 2004 at 23:01.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 02:00 (Ref:1163421)   #8
Red Dog
Racer

Red Dog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a light car on slicks, 360kgs exc driver, and have been using Ferodo 4003. At first, mostly cos I was rubbish, I did not brake hard enough and they did not seem very good. Then one fine day (it was hardly going to be in the wet) I had cause to press them a bit harder (actually a lot harder) and there was a marked improvement and they just got better and better. Did 18 races on that set. Discs are holding up very well 2,000+ race/quali miles so far.

The only snag is I have to do the green flag lap with my left foot on the brakes to get them warm for the race, or I have nooo brakes at the first corner. You only do that once!! Had to do my own laundry afterwards! I did try some softer ones but they were useless. You might try the harder grade - engine power is not such an issue but weight/tyre grip/cornering speed is.

Do bed them in properly. 3 or 4 laps gentle, 3 or 4 medium pace and 2 to 3 really quick, then stop/coast back and let them cool entirely. Same for new rotors. You can use the pads down to a couple of mm or even less and they work fine, they just heat up bit quicker.
Old 25 Nov 2004, 21:37 (Ref:1164332)   #9
Lola
Veteran

England
Nr Worcester
Lola should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Found that too red dog