Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Bike Racing

Old 9 Jun 2005, 09:01 (Ref:1323765)   #1
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Smart axed by Rizla Suzuki

After his disappointing results so far this season, Scott Smart has been dropped by the team. To be honest I can't help but thinking that he's a convenient scapegoat, sacked to make it look like the team are getting on top of their problems, which were really caused by Reynolds' injury and the departure of Paul Denning (notice that the MotoGP Suzuki team has improved since he arrived). Replacing a rider mid-season is unlikely to make the key difference.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 10:36 (Ref:1323811)   #2
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
bet he wishes he never left kawasaki....
Old 9 Jun 2005, 14:11 (Ref:1323953)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's not the first rider to switch teams and have things not working out for him. Personally I think his championship position last year was flattered by a few circusmtances - Glen Richards being injured, Emmett under-performing, Kiyonari ahving to learn the bike and the tracks, Yamaha not having a top-class rider on the bike for the whole season, Dean Thomas being new, and suchlike. He's not relaly the 4th best rider in the series, but that said he is cpaable of getting the job done.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 19:01 (Ref:1324216)   #4
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Think ou are being a little tough on Scottie there Boots, Scott won races fair and square last year and was a podium threat a most rounds. Agreed Glen was crocked for most of the year but JR, Rutter and Yuki werent hanging about and Scott still had the beating of them didnt he.
I think he was a fool to leave Hawk as he was a real close partner in the team, helping out wih the electronics and that, obviously knew the setup real well and got the best results anyone has ever got on a ZX10.
I think he has been made a scapegoat but then again Rizla are the onl major Suzuki team to be struggling so much this year! So whose fault is it!
Who are they gonna get as a replacement, Haydon! A guy with so little time on the bike he will struggle just as much!
Old 9 Jun 2005, 20:16 (Ref:1324302)   #5
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As has been said by myself in another thread Chunder, Shane Byrne to me anyway would be the obvious choice. Hes experinced and still relativly young and extremely fast. IMO he would be the best choice.
Old 9 Jun 2005, 20:36 (Ref:1324327)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
It'd be a shame if Shaky left KR midseason - long-term that team has real potential and he could be in on the ground floor of something very impressive. I don't think he's got any guarantee of jumping on that bike and winning races - he could do his reputation more harm than good by leaving MotoGp for this ride. Haydon seems ideal, he has at least done some races on the bike and showed fairly well.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1324832)   #7
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shaky's situation at KR appears to be, um, shaky, and we don't know whether he's really getting on with them. Missing China, while a good idea at the time, was a shame, as that race could've played into their hands. I want to see him succeeding in MotoGP, but a return to BSB might actually be a good short-term solution, even if the title chance is long gone.
Old 10 Jun 2005, 20:26 (Ref:1325072)   #8
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Just received this from Rizla Suzuki press office.

Quote:

JAMES HAYDON will join British Superbike Champion John Reynolds and Team Rizla Suzuki for the remainder of the 2005 British Superbike Championship.

James agreed terms with Rizla Suzuki today. The 30-year-old Andorra resident already has experience with the team after racing at Oulton and Mondello Park on the GSX-R1000 while substituting for an injured JR earlier in the season. Prior to that, he took five Superbike race wins for Crescent Suzuki in 1998 and 1999.

It was at Oulton Park on May 2nd that James recorded the team's best result of the season so far with a 4th place finish. That impressive performance matched to a professional approach to racing meant he was first choice to join the team following the departure of Scott Smart.

"I am honoured to have been asked to join Rizla Suzuki and want nothing more than to repay that faith in me with race wins," enthused James.

"Racing for the team for two rounds earlier in the year really whetted my appetite. The approach of the team to racing is so professional and positive - I really enjoyed myself and this is a dream come true.

"I have missed too many rounds to challenge for the title in 2005, but I have been tasked with winning as many races and scoring as many podiums as possible in the second half of the season. That's my only aim now and with a bike as good as the Rizla Suzuki, I can't wait to get started."

James joins the team immediately at Donington Park for a two-day test on the 14th and 16th of June, where he will reacquaint himself with the Rizla Suzuki GSX-R1000 and spend time working on his set-up in readiness for the races. He will be joined by JR at the test and is looking forward to working with the Champion.

James said: "This is a great opportunity for my long term career and I don't intend to let anything get in my way. JR and I have been team mates before and we bring the best out in each other on track and I am looking forward to us motivating each other to go faster and win races. This is my dream team and I am the happiest man in Superbikes! Roll on the test at Donington!"

Rizla Suzuki Team Manager Robert Wicks said: "It was a pleasure working with James earlier in the season and we are delighted to have him on board. His talent is beyond question and he has already shown what he can do with very little practice on the Rizla Suzuki. With the next test under his belt he will be able to go to the seventh round of the Championship at Knockhill - where he won a race and took a second place in 2004 - ready to challenge at the front for race wins.

"With James in the team and a revitalised and fit JR returning to racing, I think this is the turning point of the season for Rizla Suzuki. There is a tangible optimism in the team now and it is only a matter of time before everyone's hard work is rewarded with podium results."

For more news, visit www.rizla-suzuki.co.uk now!
Interesting choice, will be interesting to see how he goes.
Old 11 Jun 2005, 11:55 (Ref:1325536)   #9
N I Tram
Veteran

N I Tram should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Haydon's too good to be out of a ride, and maybe he'll fight for the 2006 title for the team? Their form has been pretty embarassing so far consdiering the WSBK situation, but it's probably too late to salvage anything other than pride and the odd win now.
Old 12 Jun 2005, 00:32 (Ref:1326000)   #10
pink69
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire / Nottingham
pink69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I agree, Honda are too good this year. Only Airwaves will challenge them but I think will be too strong. Glad Haydon's got the Suzuki seat, he's the kind of rider thats really helpful in developing a bike. If he can step onto the bike and get the teams best result in his first outing for the team, must have been the logical choice. If he'll be there next season is another question entirely! I hope so tho, he deserves a decent shot at the title and Rizla should be that team.
Old 14 Jun 2005, 20:29 (Ref:1328715)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
Smart's joined Vivaldi for the rest of the season, as a third bike, which is better than nothing for him, and certainly good for Wilson and Palmer to learn from.