Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 2 Apr 2004, 11:23 (Ref:927283)   #1
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Got away with it?

I'm just wondering what is the most outrageous thing you have ever gotten away with under the watchful eyes of the law?

One that spring's to mind was me flinging my old scooby around a bend on a small country road on a lovely peaceful summer's day. I was in full Colin Mcrae mode, opposite lock, rear wheel cutting the grass at the edge of the road (I'd like to say I was in full control but in truth I had overcooked the bend completely and kept the car on the road more by the grace of god than through any skills I may or may not possess) and a policeman sat in his car in a gateway just up the road. He raised his head from his newspaper, shook his head at me and then carried on reading.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 19:21 (Ref:927781)   #2
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i was bombing down the fast lane on the m1 the other night, and i saw a police car following me. i slowed down, moved into the middle lane and it went past.

phew.
Old 2 Apr 2004, 20:04 (Ref:927819)   #3
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was driving down twisty Farm to Market Road #726 just west of East Mountain, Texas when I passed a Suzuki Samurai parked on the shoulder. I was doing just under 90 mph in my Honda CRX Si. Just as I passed it I noticed the star decal on the door. City of East Mountain Police! I crested the next hill just as he was pulling on the road way and I never let up. I figured if he wanted to catch me he was going to have to earn it. Being that he was in a Samurai, he never caught up and I went on my merry way.

The Suzuki police vehicle was the butt of jokes in town and the surrounding county for years. The city bought it second hand to pursue kids through the woods that would trespass on the Mountain in dirt bikes and four-wheelers. They never caught any of them either that I ever heard of.
Never forget #99
Old 2 Apr 2004, 21:15 (Ref:927865)   #4
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
last year, i forgot to put my clock forward an hour.

housemate knocks on my window with the thermos mug saying we need to be 55 miles away at Caerwent 'like now'

we made it averaging around 100mph down the motorway in my mates Mk1 with a minute or two to spare. saw one half of a digital camera pair and a police car dropping down onto the motorway but never heard any more.

it dropped the big end again on the way back though

Last edited by imull; 2 Apr 2004 at 21:17.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 12:52 (Ref:929504)   #5
pplater
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
pplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpplater should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
life is just.
Old 4 Apr 2004, 21:12 (Ref:930208)   #6
beefy
Racer

United Kingdom
Cornwall
beefy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Overtook a car on the M4 at about 90. Looked to my left and saw a traffic policeman smiling and waving at me. Swore. Pulled in front of the policecar. And waited. And waited. Not sure how I got away with it!
Old 5 Apr 2004, 03:09 (Ref:930451)   #7
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I ran a red light on a one-way street with a police car right in front of me. Luckily, the policeman was more concerned with the guy who turned into the street going the opposite direction, pulled over, and proceeded on foot.
Old 5 Apr 2004, 14:49 (Ref:931132)   #8
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
how about getting pulled over doing 110mph or so...then the cop proceeded to get outta the car walk halfway to mine stop run back to his car and speed off....I thought (and prolly shoulda) that I was going to jail

Hey Fish_Flake:

you never see an escalator out of order sign, you only see "escalator temporaily stairs" sorry for the convienience
Old 5 Apr 2004, 22:12 (Ref:931620)   #9
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My "personal best" to date is being followed by a patrol car for seven miles doing a touch under 90 in a 60mph zone. After a swift chat, they let me go without a fine or any points.
My boss drove past one of those truevelo cameras at about 105mph on the A14 a couple of weeks back, and seems to have got away with it. Although he got a ticket for 35mph in a 30 zone this weekend, so there is some justice!
Old 6 Apr 2004, 06:38 (Ref:931860)   #10
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I had a close one last year on the M1/A1 link road heading for Croft for the Formula Renualt Winter Series. I was in the middle lane doing about 95 and then what do I see parked up on the hardshoulder but a plod with speed gun in hand. So I backed off, but I thought he had got me, luckly a bloke in Jaguar XJS came passed me doing about 110. Guess which of use got pulled.........
Old 7 Apr 2004, 10:25 (Ref:933237)   #11
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My other favourite was when I'd rammed a Metro up the rear and written it off (I bodged my old Strada back together for £400), a policeman turned up and started talking about "Due care and attention charges". He took the innocent Metro owners name and address and turned and asked for mine. I told him mine and he paused without writing anything and said "Are you Paddy's brother?" I confirmed that I was indeed Paddy Spanners brother to which he grinned, put his notebook away and said "No ones hurt, I dont think we need to take this any further" and cleared off. It turned out he played Rugby with my big bro'
Old 12 Apr 2004, 03:18 (Ref:936948)   #12
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
once got caught by a police car suddenly appearing out of a side street, i was doing 40mph with the brake lights on as i crossed in front of them! It was 1am and i had just finished work and was trying to get home before my tea got cold. They pulled up beside me at the traffic lights and promptly let me off when they realised that I serve them beer at their local every Friday night!!!!
Old 15 Apr 2004, 19:48 (Ref:940824)   #13
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not sure if I have gotten away completely with this one, although I think I have, as the offense is about a year old...

I was trying to figure out exactly how fast my Toyota rental car would go , and figured straight, slightly graded, ~25km long tunnel under the mountains near Aurlands on the E16 would be a good test location, and ~9km after I planted my foot on the accelerator at 183km/hr (in 4th gear, I could only get it up to ~174ish in 5th...), out of the darkness there was a huge flood of light and a red blinking '80km/hr' sign flying by the passenger window. Stoooopid automatisk traffikkontroll!!!

I have yet to receive a charge from the rental car agency, though, so maybe all those lights and the bright flash I assumed to be a camera were in fact a guise...
Old 19 Apr 2004, 11:51 (Ref:944041)   #14
G Halls
Rookie

G Halls should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The best one i had was in 95,picture this; 17 years of age just passed my test Citrine yellow XR3I (with loud exhaust high lift and twin40's) On a twelve mile stretch of b road towarda saffron walden, As usual was late to pick up a girlfriend so the race was on! i was happily flying along at 100mph+ overtaking anything that dared get in my way in any way possible(blind bends, crests,30 limits etc) after about three miles i glanced in the mirror to see a lowered megane overtaking the cars i had just passed and closing up on me, Right then mr company car lets see what you got! so i went for it in a big way toe and heel cutting corners getting airborne basically on the very edge of insanity, so i arrive in the 3o limit of saffron walden and glance back to see where the megane is and he is a bout 1/4 mile back but coming on strong so i slow down to 35 to let him catch up so i can waste him again! He catches up but has these funny blue strobe lights flashing under his grill!
so after my pants filled i pull over visions of court and a horrible judge telling me i was a dangerous and plague of society and they would lock me up and throw away the key flashed by, i was in it up to my neck!
so i get ordered in to the back of laguna and shown my antics on T.V! copper looks pretty peeved with me and lists all the laws etc i have broken during our little race, By now everything is a blur as i invision my parents reaction the inpending court case and loss if licence, Then copper asks me for an excuse as to why i was driving so fast:
And the only chance i have is the black eye i had recieved two days earlier! iam so sorry but i am on my way to newport to pick up my girlfriend and am running late and you see she is a bit handy and has a short fuse and this is the result of me being late the last time, (points to black eye) copper looks at me and hard face begins to crack into a smile, It worked he gave me a good lecture on the dangers of speeding reckless driving etc and told me to take the car on a track if thats how i wanted to drive and sent me on my way!(very slowly of course)Ohhave calmed down now still too fast on the roads but not quite as reckless!!
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:49 (Ref:944468)   #15
avsfan733
Veteran

ROFL!! that is the single most awesome thing I have ever heard of methinks
Old 19 Apr 2004, 17:57 (Ref:944486)   #16
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A picture to go along with my tale...
Shouldn't have had the flash on, though, as it made the gauge hard to see...
Attached Thumbnails
180kph2.jpg  

Last edited by shiny side up!; 19 Apr 2004 at 17:58.
Old 19 Apr 2004, 18:03 (Ref:944495)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One of the most surreal bits of incar video I've seen was a German M5 Owners Club trip - on the autobahn, with the video showing an indicated 290 km/h, camera pans left slightly to see two tuned M5's cruising by at a good 30 km/h quicker...
Old 22 Apr 2004, 01:10 (Ref:947386)   #18
avsfan733
Veteran

Anyone ever seen the "MIschief 3000" DVD?
Old 22 Apr 2004, 01:41 (Ref:947399)   #19
ysofast
Racer

ysofast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After slowing down to about 170k from about 200 for an area near banff that is bad for deer. I passed a parked car, thinking the driver was sleeping as it was 1am. Long story short the police car caught up to me and laughed at my plate and told me to slow down. He was hunting for drunks and I did not qualify. Good thing he wasn't parked a few k's west.(ysofast is my plate)
Old 23 Apr 2004, 17:55 (Ref:949280)   #20
Icycool
Rookie

Icycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Working for the Local Authority on one of the most notorious housing estates in Wales, I know a lot of the police, one day whilst driving around met one of the traffic team, got talking, over heard his radio to attend a call at a property that was one of ours, told him I would meet him there and shot off, I arrived at the scene and could not find the him, he turned up,20-30sec later. Told me that if I ever drove like that again he would book me and pop goes the license. He went and grabbed the offending people, on walking past, told me that I took a corner to wide and praised my parking at speed. !!!
Old 23 Apr 2004, 18:34 (Ref:949334)   #21
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In the good old days before speed cameras were invented bombing up the old A74 to Glasgow in the early hours on my GPZ 550 doing just over the ton. Nothing else on the road.
Damm near **** myself when I got passed by a police bike - thought there goes my licence. It did even look round.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 18:46 (Ref:949350)   #22
Grahame West
Racer

Scotland
Fife
Grahame West should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bad typing last line of my previous post should read Police biker didn't even look round.

You know you are getting old when...

Heading out in my RS mexico the other weekend, not long left my house when gets pulled by a very young PC. PC concern over my smokey exhaust. When I told him its okay its on the choke - PC looks at me blankly. I realise PC does not know what a choke is. So the next 20 minutes is taken up with PC checking all my documents etc and me explaining what a choke is.
Old 23 Apr 2004, 22:09 (Ref:949541)   #23
imull
Veteran

imull has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Turn off the Edinburgh Bypass, take the A702, slot through West Linton onto A701 to Moffat. Averaging over 60mph down there and came round a corner totally on the limit to find a van on its side and a cop standing in the road.

Do best to look in control and slow down (lorry had spilled hay so it was slippy) and carry on. Just before Moffat when back on the mile a minute round another corner (just before a really narrow bridge), loads of downshifting and screaching sounds to look up and there is more cops looking at me and the lorry that dropped the hay.

never heard anything except for my Dad laughing as I said to him that we must be having a lucky day
Old 27 Apr 2004, 12:44 (Ref:953494)   #24
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A novel idea when next pulled over-

If the car is deemed unroadworthy by the officer of the law-worn/bald/damaged tyres, general neglect, wiper blades!!!, lights, obvious structural rust, then the offence/fine still stands.

If the vehicle is in good order, totally roadworthy, then the offence is declared null and void, 'cos "speeding" in a bomb/wreck is more dangerous than in a car with good tyres, properly inflated, with working lghts, horn, wiper blades that actually wipes efficiently and a solid rust-free body.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 28 Apr 2004, 06:35 (Ref:954184)   #25
hgmonaro
Racer

hgmonaro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought I'd give my car a good squirt one day out in the middle of nowhere (lot of that here in Oz) and was just the other side of 200kp/h and accelerating when I saw a glint off a windscreen of a car parked half under a tree in the distance. I nailed the brakes thinking... go to jail, do not go home... and sailed past the car with a guy, probably a rep, catching 40 winks! phew!

One where an actual copper was involved was a wet night where I was testing out the roundabouts. I'd been going round and round in big 4 wheel drifts and fish-tailing up the road on exit. Anyway I exited one and a copper coming the other way saw my antics. On go the lights so I pull over. Copper gets out in pouring rain and I wind my window down. He asked what was the problem... I said the road was very slippery He told me to be careful in the future... so I guess he didn't see my full repertoire