Old 12 Aug 2008, 19:49 (Ref:2268046)   #1
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
minifox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Caterhams

hi everyone.
ive been looking at the caterham series and was wondering if you guys could answer some questions,
i would like to know which series would be good for a young novice driver?
and also a budget for these
i have seen that the graduate and academy do not allow pro teams but i have no way to prepare or run the car myself so is there a way round this rule?
thanks alot
lewis
Old 12 Aug 2008, 20:05 (Ref:2268054)   #2
Eddy V
Veteran

Belgium
Belgium & UK
Eddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridEddy V should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I guess you best send graeme a PM, he is heavily involved in the Caterhams.
Old 12 Aug 2008, 21:32 (Ref:2268096)   #3
SimonY
Rookie

SimonY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Best series for a novice driver Academy, Supergrads, Roadsport B. Do not recommend Roadsports A or Megagrads for novice. [Classic Grads would also be a good place to start (and the cheapest) but the cars are a bit long in the tooth and the grids a little thin]

No team support in any of these three, but you can get the car completely prepared between races if you wish and just pick it up. All of the above series have good support from either Caterham (Academy, Roadsports), or McMillan (Grads) at the circuit, and everyone is very helpful.

Grads series I suppose are more club orientated, RS is a little more serious.

Typical budget? Very approx 10k per season for Supergrads, Roadsports with reasonable amount of testing. Used cars 10-14k.

Therefore total budget first year 22-25k for Academy, Supergrads, Roadsport B.

Last edited by SimonY; 12 Aug 2008 at 21:38.
Old 14 Aug 2008, 09:04 (Ref:2268887)   #4
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
graeme should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lewis. The "no teams" rule is to keep the costs down. The cars at this level need no significant preparation - I put my Classic in the garage after each race and take in back out to go to the next - if I remember, I might check the brake pads. Once or twice a year I take it for a full service at McMillan Motorsport, but to be honest if I wasn't so lazy I could do it myself (and I'm fairly mechanically inept).

You could do a season in Classics for £5k with no testing or significant damage. Most of that is entry fees (£2.5k?). You'd only get through one set (maybe two) of tyres a season, and they are only £160 a set. There's even cheap membership for new Classics (£100 - which cover technical support at races and catering) to encourage numbers up from the mid-teens we're getting at the moment. There's 3 front-running cars for sale on the Grads website at the moment at £8. - 9k, so you could do a first season for £13k; maybe £15k if you did some testing. And you could always halve your running costs by only doing half the races...

Super-Grads would be a bit more - £3 or 4k more for the car and a bit higher running costs for tyres, etc.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 10:12 (Ref:2290726)   #5
Jen-MSAR
Advertiser
Rookie

United Kingdom
Jen-MSAR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Another Classic Grad racer, and pretty much a novice, I think it is a very good place to start as the grid sizes are a little smaller, so not as daunting for a beginner, but you always have someone to race against. Its fun and a great low cost place to start. once you have the confidence you can move up to the other classes if you choose to do so.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2290773)   #6
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Don't want to hijack the thread, but you could try Locost - much slower, but much cheaper. And they look the same as Caterhams.

Large grids can be daunting, but entry fees are cheaper. Always someone to race against as is a large range of drivers. Entry fees cheapest as run by 750MC. Cheaper to repair.

As cars, they are very similar to the Caterham at the front, but have a live rear axle.

Good second hand car would be £3000-5000, cost to run for a season, barring accidents, upto £3000ish, depending on how many testing sessions you do of course. Tyres are about £40 each, I used the same set for more than one season, although I was a bit c**p.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2290816)   #7
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
And they look the same as Caterhams

Quote:
but have a live rear axle.
...as do Caterham Classics

Quote:
Tyres are about £40 each
A539s? - same as Classics again
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2290823)   #8
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Sorry - I forget I'm not on a Caterham forum here

Perhaps "they look a bit like a Caterham" would be better
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:13 (Ref:2290872)   #9
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
after a chat to someone in the know with caterhams iv decided that it isnt really the way to go because of lack of exposure. which also definatly rules locost out.
thanks for all the replies

lewis
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:43 (Ref:2290899)   #10
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Good to know there's no-one in the know here...
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2290903)   #11
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by graeme
Good to know there's no-one in the know here...
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:50 (Ref:2290962)   #12
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:

...as do Caterham Classics

A539s? - same as Classics again
Fair points all!!

Well, they do look like Caterhams!!! My body work appears to have been made by taking moulds of one!
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:53 (Ref:2290966)   #13
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by minifox
after a chat to someone in the know with caterhams iv decided that it isnt really the way to go because of lack of exposure. which also definatly rules locost out.
thanks for all the replies

lewis
Lack of exposure? If you want exposure (are you talking TV?), then you'll need a bigger budget than Caterhams for any of the classes you can see during the daylight hours!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2290973)   #14
graeme
Veteran

United Kingdom
Macclesfield
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH
Well, they do look like Caterhams!!! My body work appears to have been made by taking moulds of one!
Sorry! - I've seen some real sheds of Sevens - maybe they were Robin Hoods or the like
Old 15 Sep 2008, 20:47 (Ref:2291244)   #15
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
sorry i took all your points on board too but spoke to someone about it and decided against it.
i have increased my budget accordingly to reach a championship with more exposure etc
thanks anyway
Old 16 Sep 2008, 18:59 (Ref:2292019)   #16
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You'd have to up your budget by a lot lot more to join the Ginetta's as I don't think I have ever seen a G20 with complete bodywork!!
Old 17 Sep 2008, 07:01 (Ref:2292300)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Could just buy a roll of fibreglass and big tub of resin. I had to do that for Locost......and they only have 4 small wings and a nosecone to repair!!!
Old 17 Sep 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2292302)   #18
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
Quote:
Sorry! - I've seen some real sheds of Sevens - maybe they were Robin Hoods or the like
Here's mine - looks a bit Caterhamesque...

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w...ng%20Pictures/
Old 17 Sep 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2292699)   #19
minifox
Racer

England
milton keynes
if you want a very good example of a locost then paul presgraves car is immaculate.
thanks for all the help again guys.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2293170)   #20
h_____
Rookie

h_____ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exposure? I guess thats why there are 2 caterham racers guesting in the Carrera Cup this weekend, and a couple I keep seeing on TV in GTs now.