Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 Feb 2004, 15:34 (Ref:865520)   #1
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
racing dollars

just curious about the OWRS formula. It appears to me that OWRS will bring the cars provided they get $5 mil guarnteed. I am not sure of the length of the guarntee - 3 -5 years is my guess. However, if, Seoul or Durban has provided this guarntee, why do we not get some confirmation from the promotors? A gag order until Feb 12th?
Old 6 Feb 2004, 15:48 (Ref:865536)   #2
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Doesn't seem to be a gag order for anyone else. Long Beach, the Canadian races, Road America, etc., have announced dates and are selling tickets. Forsythe's interview said Gentilozzi and Clare were going to Seoul next week to see if a race could be run in '04. All we have on South Africa is a story from down there that says they want to have a race, none of the plans, no deal, no quote from Gentilozzi, no source of funding, etc.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 15:52 (Ref:865540)   #3
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.torontostar.com/NASApp/cs...=1044529387291
Quote:
Gentilozzi said Champ Car will release a full race and television schedule within days after the takeover of CART assets is legally concluded Feb. 12.
Welcome to 10/TENTHS, racinginthestreets!

Last edited by Dov; 6 Feb 2004 at 15:55.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 16:10 (Ref:865560)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

indycool, what do you think the vision is for hosting a race? It is obvious that the owners of OWRS are not going to financially support the promotors. They have enough financial burden getting the required cars and teams. What is the guarntee that they are looking for? Also curious as to what the guarnteed purses will be. It will be nice to be able to look at the results in the next day papers and see what the payout was to each team. PG said that was the only support the teams will be given by OWRS - the purse money.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 16:16 (Ref:865567)   #5
indycool
Veteran

indycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridindycool should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think there are multiple visions in play among the three OWRS principals, and with each statement, something changes. Gentilozzi and Kalkhoven talked merger and buddy-buddy with TG until TG made a bid. Then they turned around. Forsythe said in a recent interview "at some point" he'd like to see 50/50 U.S. and international races on the schedule. The Vegas question between LVMS and a street race has been hanging for months.

I think the "vision" is gulping money wherever and whenever it happens to roll up to OWRS in someone's wheelbarrow. Anything else is way down the priority list. Notice you're from Wenatchee, so you know what's happening in Portland.

By the way, welcome to the fourm.......
Old 6 Feb 2004, 16:41 (Ref:865589)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As well it ought to be. The only game you are guaranteed to be allowed to enter, with mandatory support from other peoples' pockets, is parenthood. Otherwise, the business of business is business, not charity.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 16:46 (Ref:865593)   #7
racinthestreets
Racer

Thanks for the welcome. I love Portland, but cannot find anything out. GI Joe's was waiting for the courts ruling, but, they are not as eager to bring the "wheelbarrow". Some discussion between PIR and IRL too, although I think it is not serious. I have been a CC addict since the old ABC tape delay days from Indy. When Danny Sullivan did the 360 and won the race - I was hooked for good. I find a way to get to all the West Coast races - Long Beach, Laguna Seca, Portland, Vancouver (have not missed one of these) and the 500 in Fontana. I am anxious and excited about the possibilities for the series under the new ownership - although, it will come down to sponsors, promotors with guarnteed money, and millionaires willing to prop up their teams until the economies allow more corporate spending. Reality is, the series needs a sound TV package to attract the sponsors.