Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 11 Apr 2003, 09:39 (Ref:566019)   #1
Ginger1
Rookie

Ginger1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie set to lose F1?

You have probably all seen this before but I couldn't find it anywhere.

http://www.sport.telegraph.co.uk/spo...1/smfone11.xml

"Bernie Ecclestone's grip on Formula One appeared to be loosening last night when all 10 teams on the grid signed an "operational agreement" to work with the leading carmakers on plans to set up a rival Grand Prix World Championship in 2008.

The teams met representatives of the GPWC, formed by carmakers Ford, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and Renault in 2001, in Munich yesterday with the entire grid signing a memorandum of understanding for the proposed new championship."

If this is old news I apologise, If new - yay to me!

Phil
Old 11 Apr 2003, 10:38 (Ref:566085)   #2
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The withdrawl of all the teams connected with Ford, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Ferrari and Renault will cause the grids in the 2008 season to be slightly depleted .Spectator numbers at most Grand Prixs could be down a little too,but at least with no cars actually racing when the TV coverage goes to an ad break you wont miss any of the action.
It will also stop farcical situations like the Brazil GP happening because with no cars actually racing there will be no accidents to warrant using the red flag.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 13:14 (Ref:566283)   #3
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's about time. Perhaps Bernie should take his billions and consider retirement.....

The rumors of Bernie and Chris Pook at CART scare me to death.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 13:27 (Ref:566290)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceFreak
The rumors of Bernie and Chris Pook at CART scare me to death.
You and me both. Too bad we're in the minority.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 13:42 (Ref:566309)   #5
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The thought of Bernie being in charge of anything scares me...I think he should definately retire!!!
Old 11 Apr 2003, 14:42 (Ref:566368)   #6
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bernie has done more for F1 than anyone - ok, so he's made a bucketload of cash out of it, but that is just capitalism. If any of you guys can suggest a better way I'd like to hear it.
Old 11 Apr 2003, 15:06 (Ref:566397)   #7
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agress with u there glen but i think that maybe his time is coming to an end...think it is time to let somebody else have a go!
Old 11 Apr 2003, 15:16 (Ref:566407)   #8
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, you could put me in charge. I can guarantue the show would rock people's socks of technical minded, safety conscious, beer drinking, driver involvement loving, overtaking starved, manufacturer loyal, personality starved, eclectic types all over.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 12 Apr 2003, 02:16 (Ref:566939)   #9
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It REALLY annoys me when someone says 'bernie has done heaps for f1'
ANY idiot could have made money off f1!!
Bernie hasn't done anything significant at all
Old 12 Apr 2003, 03:12 (Ref:566954)   #10
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie HAS done lots for F1... I remember standing around in the pits of the Canadian GP in 73, having a conversation with Francois Cevert. Nice guy, not pretentious. All the teams would be in town drinking beer in the evening. Quite approachable. I even interviewed for an engineering job with Colin Chapman right there.

Then Bernie left Brabham and the rest is history; now.... just try to get close to the action. No chance.

All B.E.'s interested in is money. Period. That's why the teams are rebelling. Wait till 2008 and the secret covenants of the Concorde Agreement are revealed. I bet it'll become much clearer then...
Old 12 Apr 2003, 03:19 (Ref:566956)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RaceFreak
Bernie HAS done lots for F1... I remember standing around in the pits of the Canadian GP in 73, having a conversation with Francois Cevert. Nice guy, not pretentious. All the teams would be in town drinking beer in the evening. Quite approachable. I even interviewed for an engineering job with Colin Chapman right there.

Then Bernie left Brabham and the rest is history; now.... just try to get close to the action. No chance.

All B.E.'s interested in is money. Period. That's why the teams are rebelling. Wait till 2008 and the secret covenants of the Concorde Agreement are revealed. I bet it'll become much clearer then...
AMEN!!!!!

Bernie did the TV package, the marketing... Big whoop to those of us who'd be watching anyhow!
Old 12 Apr 2003, 12:36 (Ref:567198)   #12
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Bernie set to lose F1?

Quote:
Originally posted by Ginger1
all 10 teams on the grid signed an "operational agreement" to work with the leading carmakers
10 teams??? I wasn't sure that Honda and Toyota were part of the GPWC... Did the BAR and Toyota teams sign up here?
Old 12 Apr 2003, 14:05 (Ref:567242)   #13
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Re: Bernie set to lose F1?

Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
10 teams??? I wasn't sure that Honda and Toyota were part of the GPWC... Did the BAR and Toyota teams sign up here?
No-one said they were - the teams that aren't a part of the GPWC have signed an agreement to work with the manufacturers who are organising it...