Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 12 Feb 2007, 04:14 (Ref:1838993)   #1
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dick Johnson interview in the Sunday Mail....

There was a very interesting interview with Dick Johnson in the Sunday Mail yesterday in the financial section...it would interest any DJR fan...

If you would like to read this article email me at vortexgoldathotmaildotcom and I will send it to you...

Just note that I'm having a bit of PC trouble at the moment and it might take some time to send it.

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 05:15 (Ref:1839005)   #2
thetormentor
Racer

Australia
Central Coast NSW
thetormentor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Link for that story
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...3-3122,00.html
Old 12 Feb 2007, 06:28 (Ref:1839022)   #3
scramble
Rookie

scramble should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by retro
There was a very interesting interview with Dick Johnson in the Sunday Mail yesterday in the financial section...it would interest any DJR fan...

If you would like to read this article email me at vortexgoldathotmaildotcom and I will send it to you...

Just note that I'm having a bit of PC trouble at the moment and it might take some time to send it.

He got a bit defensive when she was asking how much money he had, I am sure she had no idea of the troubles he has been through over the last couple of years. Still even in print you could tell he was gritting his teath with every answer.
Old 12 Feb 2007, 06:33 (Ref:1839024)   #4
retro
Veteran

Australia
....Qld....
retro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridretro should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetormentor
...Thanks mate...

»-(¯`v´¯)-»........................The retro report........................©®»-(¯`v´¯)-» ê¿~

Disclaimer; the above is pure speculation and only posted for entertainment purposes!!!
Old 12 Feb 2007, 12:04 (Ref:1839241)   #5
Forda
Veteran

Forda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The article doesn't seem to paint too rosier a picture for Dick.

Bills to pay, credit card purchases, units for sale.

Reading between the lines, the team could be for sale as long as Dick had something to do, presumably in an advisory role or similar.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 06:19 (Ref:1839991)   #6
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Reading between the lines, the team could be for sale as long as Dick had something to do, presumably in an advisory role or similar.
I remember him say years ago that everthing is always for sale. At the right price of coarse.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 09:27 (Ref:1840189)   #7
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
$4.5 millon was the price in either 1999 or 2000.....
Old 13 Feb 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1840294)   #8
sizzle
Veteran

Australia
Darwin
sizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridsizzle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Are you a saver or a spender?

Well, I'm not big on leaving an inheritance, because I've got nothing to inherit. I'm not a huge spender, I'm not a spendthrift. I try not to buy things I don't need, but I like to buy things that we will enjoy – like a boat."

I guess Stevie had better get paid a shedload of dosh while he is driving then because it looks like he won't get much more than a boat!!
Old 13 Feb 2007, 11:36 (Ref:1840296)   #9
Driver TBA
Veteran

Driver TBA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah but have you seen the boat!
Old 13 Feb 2007, 21:58 (Ref:1840764)   #10
lowdown
Racer

lowdown should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If you were in Dicks position would you truthfully tell some chick from the paper your life financial story. Gee he must be in deep crap if he uses a credit card to pay his bills. No one has ever done that. Image the loyalty points the race team would accrue.
Old 13 Feb 2007, 22:34 (Ref:1840790)   #11
Boxy
Veteran

Australia
Beautiful one day - bloody hot the next
Boxy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver TBA
Yeah but have you seen the boat!
I have actually. Me and the old man almost hit it one day (or he nearly hit us ) whilst cruising the Broadwater It certainly shaded our 15 footer.
Old 14 Feb 2007, 10:31 (Ref:1841084)   #12
Henry
Veteran

Australia
hero to zero in two seconds flat
Henry should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown
Gee he must be in deep crap if he uses a credit card to pay his bills. No one has ever done that. Image the loyalty points the race team would accrue.
Perhaps not in V8Supertaxis, but most Formula One teams outside the Top 10 run on someone's credit card...
Old 14 Feb 2007, 23:17 (Ref:1841751)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I think you might find that it happens in some parts of V8Supercar too... in the development series perhaps

It is quite scary to think that the team has had millions of dollars a year wash through its hands for 20 years... and none of it has stuck to the sides...
“Everybody Lies” - Dr Gregory House, House
“Trust But Verify” - Commissioner Frank Reagan, Blue Bloods
Old 14 Feb 2007, 23:40 (Ref:1841767)   #14
racin jason
Rookie

racin jason should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Who are any of us to speculate on Dick's personal finances?
I thought some of the questions were fairly invasive and he was quite right to be a little cagey about his answers. The truth is that noone here knows **** about Dick's finances. I hardly think that having units for sale is any reason to speculate that he is short of cash, they may be investment units in a recently completed development.

Looks like just another case of the good old tall poppy syndrome!
Old 15 Feb 2007, 00:09 (Ref:1841776)   #15
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin jason
Who are any of us to speculate on Dick's personal finances?
I thought some of the questions were fairly invasive and he was quite right to be a little cagey about his answers. The truth is that noone here knows **** about Dick's finances. I hardly think that having units for sale is any reason to speculate that he is short of cash, they may be investment units in a recently completed development.

Looks like just another case of the good old tall poppy syndrome!
What a lovely first post.

This whole thread is in response to an article in a newspaper that was purported to be contributed to in some detail by Mr Johnson himself.

If he chooses to expose his finances to scrutiny by talking about them in public in the media, then the subject becomes open for discussion by the greater world.

They didnt ask Joe Bloggs, street sweeper to discuss the intricacies of his financial dealings.. they asked Tricky Dick.. and hoped to get readership by having that person there, and by asking the questions they asked....
Old 15 Feb 2007, 02:42 (Ref:1841811)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
From my understanding, they would investment properties on Ephraim. Crickey, how many appartments can one person live in?

I wish I were selling appartments on Ephraim at the moment, I haven't seen too many of them go for under a million in recent times. Good on him for getting in early and buying some in the first place!
Old 15 Feb 2007, 05:07 (Ref:1841848)   #17
roverboy
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
roverboy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowdown
If you were in Dicks position would you truthfully tell some chick from the paper your life financial story. Gee he must be in deep crap if he uses a credit card to pay his bills. No one has ever done that. Image the loyalty points the race team would accrue.
I know a now retired team owner paid the majority of his team and business bills on the credit just to get the rewards points. Earned enough points to fly the team around and get an overseas holiday every year!!! Pity the tax man put a stop to this practice.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 06:36 (Ref:1841873)   #18
888_Fan
Racer

888_Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have no doubt a few of the true "privateer" teams in the Fujitsu Series operate with the budget of the limits on their Credit Cards.

But I am quite surprised to hear a person with the status of Dick Johnson give an interview stating his financial situation is as shakey as it sounds.

Or maybe it's all smoke and mirrors.... Wouldn't be the first time for Dick to use smoke and mirrors....
Old 15 Feb 2007, 07:15 (Ref:1841888)   #19
naughtymutt
Racer

naughtymutt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i am surprised how you guys can read into that article that Dick is in some kind of financial trouble... all i read was that he was a Fitter and turner turned mechanic. no where did i read he was in any financial trouble and i suspect dick is doing OK.

It was hardly a probing interview into dicks financial position.
Old 15 Feb 2007, 08:39 (Ref:1841943)   #20
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by naughtymutt
i am surprised how you guys can read into that article that Dick is in some kind of financial trouble... all i read was that he was a Fitter and turner turned mechanic. no where did i read he was in any financial trouble and i suspect dick is doing OK.

It was hardly a probing interview into dicks financial position.

Exactly.
Like Dick's gonna give out all his $ info to the Sunday Mail.

He'll be fine for a long time - he's no idiot as most well know
Old 15 Feb 2007, 11:17 (Ref:1842037)   #21
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Dick still likes the "battler" tag, and doesn't really want to flash around how much he is worth.

As for selling units on Ephriam Island, Dick's been into property development since he teamed up with Alf Grant in the 1980's. He's probably always buying and selling somewhere or other, we just don't hear about it.

When I see the boat getting re-posessed, then I'll beleive he's in financial trouble.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 01:46 (Ref:1842756)   #22
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaz170
I think Dick still likes the "battler" tag, and doesn't really want to flash around how much he is worth.
Exactly, because then people will say why don't you fund the team out of your pocket rich man? It's better to act penniless in a position such as his. I'm sure the guy will never starve.
Old 16 Feb 2007, 01:53 (Ref:1842760)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71
Exactly.
Like Dick's gonna give out all his $ info to the Sunday Mail.

He'll be fine for a long time - he's no idiot as most well know
So if all the Tricky Dick financial dealings are private, then why would Mr Johnson subject himself to an interview about financial dealings??

Is it just me or is that silly?
Old 16 Feb 2007, 02:38 (Ref:1842770)   #24
Also a Believer
Veteran

Also a Believer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its you
Old 16 Feb 2007, 03:10 (Ref:1842776)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Thank you kindly AAB