Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 2 Feb 2009, 20:36 (Ref:2386893)   #1
Elford68
Rookie

Elford68 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART 1987

Hello

I am planning an article about 1987 CART season and I would like o ask if anyone have photos and info about the season, please.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 20:48 (Ref:2386903)   #2
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elford68
Hello

I am planning an article about 1987 CART season and I would like o ask if anyone have photos and info about the season, please.
http://privateermotorsports.blogspot...rand-prix.html

Here's my point of view on the season opener Long Beach, with videos.

The Chevy-badged Ilmor debuted in 1987 and broke Cosworth's 7-year-long run of consecutive victories in the series. Lola surpassed March as the car of choice.

Very much a "have or have not" year. The "haves" were Mario Andretti with Newman-Haas, Michael Andretti with Kraco, Roberto Guerrero with Granatelli, the Pat Patrick cars of Emerson Fittipaldi and Kevin Cogan (sponsored by Marlboro), Al Unser Jr. with Shierson, Rick Mears with Penske, and Bobby Rahal with Truesports. Past this point the drivers were pretty much cherry pickers.

Al Unser Sr. shocked by jumping in a Penske showcar stationed at a hotel as a substitute for Danny Ongais who crashed badly in practice and won the Indianapolis 500 after runaway leader Mario Andretti developed a turbo wastegate problem and Roberto Guerrero stalled his car in the pits. The surprise win was the last of his career and tied him with A.J. Foyt with 4 wins at Indy. The car was sponsored by my employer and it is currently located at their corporate office building's lobby.

Tom Sneva and Johnny Rutherford pretty much retired this season save the one-off afterward. It was the last gasp for Al Unser Sr. as far as being a competitive driver for race wins. John Andretti ran his first races as a rookie this season. Guerrero had a great season challenging Rahal for the title and then he got in a huge accident later on and he never was able to reach that level again in his career. It was the last good ride in Cogan's career as he stumbled and was struck by poor reliability race after race. A.J. Foyt only raced selected ovals.

Last edited by Flyin Ryan; 2 Feb 2009 at 20:55.
Old 2 Feb 2009, 21:03 (Ref:2386919)   #3
Flyin Ryan
Veteran

United States
Carolina del Norte
Flyin Ryan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyin Ryan
Very much a "have or have not" year. The "haves" were Mario Andretti with Newman-Haas, Michael Andretti with Kraco, Roberto Guerrero with Granatelli, the Pat Patrick cars of Emerson Fittipaldi and Kevin Cogan (sponsored by Marlboro), Al Unser Jr. with Shierson, Rick Mears with Penske, and Bobby Rahal with Truesports. Past this point the drivers were pretty much cherry pickers.
I forgot one have: Danny Sullivan.