Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:33 (Ref:1416659)   #1
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV on form again

Sunday 25th September saw the crowning of the first new Formula One World Champion for more than five years, usually an event of note. But did British broadcaster ITV allow us to hear what the victorious Fernando Alonso had to say in the post race press conference ? No, this was not deemed as important as being a few minutes late for the next programme. So, we had anchorman Jim Rosenthal agitatedly looking at his watch and rushing his flustered co-host Tony Jardine through a two minute wrap up (just what is 'cust cotting' Mr Jardine ?) all so we could get to the dross-fest that is 'Coronation Street'. This came after they ditched live qualifying from its regular slot so we could enjoy Ant and Dec's latest Mensa inspired offering. Thanks ITV.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 09:42 (Ref:1416665)   #2
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I didn't expect anything less. I knew two weeks ago Alonso would be WDC at Brazil and Coronation street would be on straight after of course.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:07 (Ref:1416690)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
To be fair to them there were probably more people waiting for the next programme compared with those wanting to see Alonso. I presume they showed the press conference on the highlights show. I recorded it, but haven't watched it yet.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:09 (Ref:1416691)   #4
Russ-Turner
Racer

England
Motorsport Valley.
Russ-Turner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That doesn't negate from the fact that ITV make you want to vomit in terror!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:13 (Ref:1416695)   #5
grandprixdiary
Racer

grandprixdiary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On a different note - I thought Skys A1GP coverage was excellent, good commentary team and the most stunning presenter. She could present crown green bowling and I'd want to watch it....

Rob
Old 26 Sep 2005, 10:59 (Ref:1416739)   #6
Radius
Rookie

South Africa
in London, England
Radius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandprixdiary
On a different note - I thought Skys A1GP coverage was excellent, good commentary team and the most stunning presenter. She could present crown green bowling and I'd want to watch it....

Rob
hehe

I was at the race and missed quite a bit of action happening on the other end of the circuit (car flipping over crash etc)... i'm sure it was shown on tv.

Heard Sky's coverage was good and gonna have to subscribe to watch rest of season but live race was excellent.

Hate it when ITV leave u feeling empty
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:03 (Ref:1416744)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
****** Coronation Street Will Follow The Closure Of This Thread ******
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:05 (Ref:1416749)   #8
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To be honest, you shouldn't expect ITV to do anything other than defer to Coronation Bleet whenever the chance arises. They've been doing the same thing for years.

They've also been ditching live qualifying for certain Grands Prix ever since their contract began.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:19 (Ref:1416762)   #9
Radius
Rookie

South Africa
in London, England
Radius should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
hahaha
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:21 (Ref:1416766)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
More people enjoy Coronation Street than enjoy the post-race coverage of Formula 1 racing. Get over it. The highlights show gives more in-depth analysis and interviewed, usually after a few hours have gone by and things can be more rationally analysed with mroe information at hand. And we all make slips of the tongue occasionally.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:23 (Ref:1416767)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
F1 is boring anyway, I don't know why they bother showing any of it.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:28 (Ref:1416772)   #12
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I may be wrong, but I believe that Coronation Street is ITV's most popular programme. Fans of the show will have tuned in at the normal time, to find the F1 on instead. Therefore, I don't see the problem in having a message on screen informing people that the show will be on soon.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:31 (Ref:1416775)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
In the same vein, should they just have cut away at the normal time (7.30pm) for Coronation Street because it's more popular than some silly GP ?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:34 (Ref:1416779)   #14
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
In the same vein, should they just have cut away at the normal time (7.30pm) for Coronation Street because it's more popular than some silly GP ?
No, of course not. Though I bet if the Grand Prix was due on at 3pm, and you tuned in to find another show running late, you would have a right bloody whinge. Not everyone loves Formula One, so get your head out of the sand
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:35 (Ref:1416783)   #15
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
More people enjoy Coronation Street than enjoy the post-race coverage of Formula 1 racing. Get over it. The highlights show gives more in-depth analysis and interviewed, usually after a few hours have gone by and things can be more rationally analysed with mroe information at hand. And we all make slips of the tongue occasionally.
So why bother showing anything but Coronation Street?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1416796)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
No, of course not. Though I bet if the Grand Prix was due on at 3pm, and you tuned in to find another show running late, you would have a right bloody whinge. Not everyone loves Formula One, so get your head out of the sand

No need to be so personal, I was posing a question in reply to other's posts that Coronation Street is more popular(which it is) than F1 and why shouldn't they just forget about the last 20 mins of the show ?
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:49 (Ref:1416806)   #17
Hip Priest
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend
No need to be so personal, I was posing a question in reply to other's posts that Coronation Street is more popular(which it is) than F1 and why shouldn't they just forget about the last 20 mins of the show ?
Sorry, It wasn't meant as a personal insult, I was just over-zealous in my argument.

I'm just shocked that people are so upset that the press conference wasn't shown, and that a message came up about Corrie.

I did think Rosenthal went a bit too far when he started talking about Les Battersby and Status Quo during the podium though.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1416809)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r

If we had an award for the best post of the week you'd win it hands down. But we don't. Sorry.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 11:53 (Ref:1416816)   #19
goforit500
Veteran

goforit500 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I Missed Corrie...Were Status Quo on ?? I bet it was more exciting than the Brazil Bore-A-Thon ?? LOL
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:26 (Ref:1416888)   #20
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe that Coronation Street is ITV's most popular programme. Fans of the show will have tuned in at the normal time, to find the F1 on instead. Therefore, I don't see the problem in having a message on screen informing people that the show will be on soon.
This is all very true, but is it so hard for Coronation Street Fans to read a TV guide? why could ITV not just pre-plan to put Corrie on at 8 o' clock, and make an announcement at the end of the previous episode?

F1 would then get time to show the after race stuff, Corrie would start at a proper time and everybody would be happy...ahh see my problem....It's not in ITV's remit to keep the viewers happy.....sorry I wasted your time!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:37 (Ref:1416901)   #21
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I may be wrong, but I believe that Coronation Street is ITV's most popular programme.
ITV seem to have no problems with elbowing "ITV's favorite prgrammes" for bloody football!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 13:46 (Ref:1416911)   #22
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't start on that one. You sound like my gran!

I s'pose the thing with the message was that normally Corrie is on at 19.30, but because of the race it had been rescheduled for 19.50, and they didn't want a barrage of complaints from irate Corrie viewers who hadn't checked.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1417081)   #23
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
I've got to say, I'd have been glad to see ITVs coverage for this race. In France, TF1 showed Alonso take the chequered flag, then 20 seconds after the coverage finished - for the news!
Interviews? Press Conference? We didn't even the full classifications as not everyone had finished!!
Old 26 Sep 2005, 16:42 (Ref:1417092)   #24
Dan Rear
Veteran

Dan Rear should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I struggle to believe that anyone watches the Press Conference, its even more boring than the racing itself... And Crapanation St is worse still.
Old 26 Sep 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1417127)   #25
bastinscully
Racer

England
Oxford
bastinscully should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ITV could of put post race coverage for half an hour on ITV2!!!
Closed Thread