Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:27 (Ref:1379851)   #1
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV and Pollock threat to sue BMW - Rumour

Just read on autosport.com

"Craig Pollock, is believed to be threatening BMW with a lawsuit totalling $22 million US should they break the Canadian's contract)"

That's a nice way to start a relationship.

The most overpaid driver ever wants one final big pay day huh?

Shurely Sauber would have put in some sort of performance clause.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:34 (Ref:1379855)   #2
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Eddie Irvine is coming back?
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:42 (Ref:1379858)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If he has said that then it is a fair indication that they know BMW is likely to drop JV.

We'll see how it pans out.

I remember JV saying a few weeks ago that BMW would be daft to drop him. I paraphrase, but it was something like: 'If we do well then that is good and if we do bad they can always blame me'. Which I thought was an excellent thing to say.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1379866)   #4
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Bit harsh. JV would obviously prefer to race rather than be put back on the sidelines with a big cheque. He's just trying to protect his contract and doesn't intend to be messed around by BMW. Fair play to him I say.

Not the smartest way to impress your new boss though.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1379872)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the problem with buying an existing team - you're stuck with their previous msitakes. This certainly smacks of desperation and panic from JV and Craig, and I wonder if it will affect BMW's thinking. It culd be that Theissen is even more strongly arguing that $22m to be free of this destructive influence is worth it.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:51 (Ref:1379873)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
At least JV realises (rightly, in my opinion) that he probably doesn't feature in BMW's long-term plans.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1379887)   #7
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Regardless of one's opinion of JV, if he has a contract and BMW drops him without finding an exit clause or technicality, then he has every right to sue BMW. Recall when the Sauber contract was announced, it sounded like it was a very uncomplicated document. Sauber and JV said they had no use for all of the nuonces.

Interesting comments by JV posted by AdamAshmore. You know in BMW's first year having JV on board might be a good idea. He's driving at a competant level now and presumably his experience would be usefull for BMW starting up. At the end of 2006 they can dump him and blame their poor initial showing on the driver.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 14:32 (Ref:1379911)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Where does this $22 million figure come from?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 14:35 (Ref:1379914)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Just read on autosport.com

"Craig Pollock, is believed to be threatening BMW with a lawsuit totalling $22 million US should they break the Canadian's contract)"
Just a quicky. I can't see this on the site. Is it recent news, in a big general article or am I blind?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 14:44 (Ref:1379923)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I can't see it either......has it been withdrawn?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 15:16 (Ref:1379952)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Et voila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieter Rencken's article (an opinion piece rather than news)

......Jacques Villeneuve (whose manager, Craig Pollock, is believed to be threatening BMW with a lawsuit totalling $22 million US should they break the Canadian's contract)....
Old 11 Aug 2005, 16:26 (Ref:1379988)   #12
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
countdown to Louis B ... 5, 4, 3 ....
-
Old 11 Aug 2005, 17:23 (Ref:1380005)   #13
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!

Yeah right... and pigs fly, right?
If this is true it should appear on ITV, or anyother news site aswell !
Old 11 Aug 2005, 17:27 (Ref:1380008)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Some of the comments here are just plain sickening and lack even the remotest sense of dignity, quite pathetic really......

Jacques tries to protect his contract, something which every driver would do if it was his only chance to be in F1.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1380038)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I remember JV saying a few weeks ago that BMW would be daft to drop him. I paraphrase, but it was something like: 'If we do well then that is good and if we do bad they can always blame me'. Which I thought was an excellent thing to say.
Actually I've used that previously in my professional life. It scares the proverbial out of your employers because they have to come up with something credible to nail you. And I won too.

As it happens (and apologies to ASCII et al) I suspect Sauber has more than enough against an (aparrently) under performing ex WDc.

So It might not be too clever.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:00 (Ref:1380039)   #16
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_iulian
I agree that it isn't fact just speculation. However I'm not sure being on teh ITV site would change that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
Some of the comments here are just plain sickening and lack even the remotest sense of dignity, quite pathetic really......
A tad OTT, I hate to be around for a really sick comment. It is just speculation, people are just responding to it.

Let us all keep it civil. The comment is up for discussion. At least for us to dismiss - which is better than it just appearing in print and it being accepted.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:19 (Ref:1380053)   #17
CobraSVT
Rookie

CobraSVT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by raul_iulian
Yeah right... and pigs fly, right?
Um
Pigs do fly, if you've studied your Pink Floyd.

and Pigs infact flew on July 2nd, 2005.
But im gonna agree with you that I don't believe this rumor.
Old 11 Aug 2005, 18:35 (Ref:1380064)   #18
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If BMW don't run Villeneuve, it's difficult to see who will be driving - there aren't many credible, fast, experienced options
Old 11 Aug 2005, 19:26 (Ref:1380099)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
K-B. I'm not sure you really meant the words "credible" and "fast" to be included in the same paragraph as JV.

Did you? Sorry that was tongue in cheek.

The point is valid though. If BMW have to replace Massa and their only credible option is Nick, (and TW won't/can't release him) who else would fit?

Any bets on that Rosberg chap?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 19:46 (Ref:1380117)   #20
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

There is, so far, nothing about this rumour on any of the thousands of websites scanned every 5 minutes by newsnow.co.uk. Quite inconsistently with the topic of this thread, BMW are reportedly not even prepared to pay enough to secure Heidfeld's services (see: http://auto.web-log.nl/log/3239255).

This being said, BMW's silence is a clear indication that they are still considering their options and that they must somehow have approached Pollock to test the waters. The figure put forward (US $22 million) as damages that JV would claim if his contract was not honoured makes sense (i.e. it would have to be taken seriously by BMW's legal counsel taking into account JV's average salary of the last 10 years and the undeniable fact that to breach his contract now probably means the end of his f1 career). Furthermore, the longer BMW waits with their confirmation that they will not honour JV's contract, the higher will be the damages that JV will be entitled to. This is all business and there is certainly nothing wrong stating the amount of your anticipated claim if your co-contractor is proposing not to fulfil his contract with you.

I nevertheless remain confident (as predicted earlier on previous threads) that JV will have a seat in f1 for 2006.

P.S. What is this trace in my boxer shorts?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:44 (Ref:1380169)   #21
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Excellent post Louis B! After Massa leaving for Ferrari, Heidfeld would have now signed with BAR see: http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s16....htm?fromrss=1

JV will in fact have to drive two cars at BMW next year!
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:48 (Ref:1380172)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Thanks for the link Louis B. and also for the new thread: http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72644 Interest in that story from a NH, JB or RB point of view can be discussed there.

Of course Louis B.'s point about BMW running out of drivers is relevant here (I wonder if it is true!).
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1380181)   #23
Kicking-back
Veteran

They'd stick Jorg Muller in one if they have to.

A career BMW man - and well backed by the odious Mr Thiessen
Old 11 Aug 2005, 20:58 (Ref:1380188)   #24
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
OT: Are there any other BMW drivers who have tested a Williams recently?
Old 11 Aug 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1380210)   #25
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
OT: Are there any other BMW drivers who have tested a Williams recently?
Ho Ping Tung did drive a BMW Williams last sunday.
Closed Thread