Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2008, 15:13 (Ref:2289970)   #1
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Singapore in the wet ... safety

The long distance weather forecasts say Singapore may be wet. If it is, won't the race have to be red flagged? Surely they may have it listed as a possible to run the race earlier if the weather looks rather damp?

Wet weather + floodlights + 300 km/h might be at least a bit of a problem. No-one has ever driven an F1 car under floodlights before, but MotoGP had objections to racing under lights in the wet (IIRC).

Last edited by duke_toaster; 14 Sep 2008 at 15:16.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:12 (Ref:2290774)   #2
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Running F1 on a green circuit (by green I mean the drivers don't know it, the officials and rescue crews don't know it, and the surface in the rain is a complete unknown), in the dark, in the rain, does seem a bit like a recipie for dodgems.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 11:38 (Ref:2290793)   #3
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think this up and coming night race could decide the championship. Ok alot will depend on Hamiltons appeal but if its only a one point difference then it could be the key race to the season. An idea would be to let the drivers run on he thursday night in order to find if there is any problems which hasnt been thought of yet. The problem with that is the 2 race one engine rule.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 12:54 (Ref:2290858)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think it's a lousy idea to run a race at night. The extra energy used for the generators goes completely against intentions to cut the sport's carbon footprint. The idea that European fans won't watch overnight races is completely false, as demonstrated by impressive viewing figures for even the dullest Tilke-rings year on year. It's patronising of Bernie to be sending a message to these countries that their money is good enough, but their fans are not important enough to have any priority. Visibility and glare could be a real problem in the wet, and what if the lights fail or are sabotaged? And what if a driver with nightblindness were to come through in the future?
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:07 (Ref:2290869)   #5
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I think it's a lousy idea to run a race at night. The extra energy used for the generators goes completely against intentions to cut the sport's carbon footprint. The idea that European fans won't watch overnight races is completely false, as demonstrated by impressive viewing figures for even the dullest Tilke-rings year on year. It's patronising of Bernie to be sending a message to these countries that their money is good enough, but their fans are not important enough to have any priority. Visibility and glare could be a real problem in the wet, and what if the lights fail or are sabotaged? And what if a driver with nightblindness were to come through in the future?
This topic was discussed too towards the end of Practice Session 1 at Monza by the German comentary of Premiere, namingly Jaques Schultz and Marc Surer when a driver over team radio reported that the lights on the buildings and the videowall lights getting mirrored from the standing water into the visor of the helmet. I think it was Bourdais but I am not fully sure.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2290877)   #6
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
An idea would be to let the drivers run on he thursday night in order to find if there is any problems which hasnt been thought of yet.
As touched on by Pole to Pole,
surely as a night race won't practice and quali be also run in the same floodlit conditions?

Cheers
Peter
reflections in visor
Old 15 Sep 2008, 13:26 (Ref:2290884)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think the Friday practise sessions will be held in the late afternoon and at sunset, so Saturday may be the first time they will be in the dark.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:34 (Ref:2290945)   #8
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think theyve done a last-minute shake up of the schedule where FP1 should finish just before sunset, and FP2 should be under lights. I think the original schedule had all but the race running during daylight.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:42 (Ref:2290953)   #9
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
I've raced at night in the wet, and it was one of the scariest things I have ever done. Mind you, no floodlighting, and sh*t 2CV lights don't help.

Its wasn't the glare, but lack of light to see the corners that was the problem, so I would hope floodlights would fix that, but then of course you get the glare problem arising. It would be mad not to have practice in the dark - you cannot go straight in to qualifying without actually having being on the track in race conditions.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 14:44 (Ref:2290955)   #10
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
At F1 speeds, I wouldn't like to predict if even little things like flash photography might be problematic. I just feel too many variables are being introduced at once.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 18:09 (Ref:2291108)   #11
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
The long distance weather forecasts say Singapore may be wet. If it is, won't the race have to be red flagged? Surely they may have it listed as a possible to run the race earlier if the weather looks rather damp?

Wet weather + floodlights + 300 km/h might be at least a bit of a problem. No-one has ever driven an F1 car under floodlights before, but MotoGP had objections to racing under lights in the wet (IIRC).

Now Im sure your David Coulthard in disguise!!!!!

I cant see this night race thingy taking on as serious. Im just waiting, like DC here,for the power cut..

Last edited by djinvicta; 15 Sep 2008 at 18:10. Reason: Spelling!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:51 (Ref:2291200)   #12
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I have no problems with running the race at night in the dry.
Camera flashes and shadows may be a very small influence but providing the lighting systems are sound it works.
Karting events (sprint karting - not recreational karting) can be run at night with no problems although the impression of speed is increased particularly transitioning into shadowy areas.

I lived in Singapore for over a year and know that if it rains and is intense or misty/foggy you will have some problems least of all from the glare.
If you think it is hard to see in the wet during the day you have no idea what it will be like at night. This will become a very real problem.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 19:57 (Ref:2291204)   #13
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There has recently been a time-table overhaul.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70439

This,of course,won't help if Singapore is hit by a Typhoon.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2291269)   #14
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It seems like a lot of IFs are being thrown around just because it's change. If the race runs in Monaco in the rain, everybody gets excited about how it closes the field up and makes the underdog have a chance. Now suddenly we are worried about so many variables, every one of which has to happen, that we should call the whole thing off? Seems like a line from a great college movie applies here, "worrying's alot like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but won't get you anywhere."
I trust the F1 drivers are good enough they can modify their speeds to suit the conditions, and if not are they really the greatest drivers in the world? Maybe I'm just the only person who thinks this isn't the end of the world and will be a great show for anyone that's lucky enough to see it in HD. But yes, I do agree that at least one practice and qualifying should be run under the lights, if not adding another round a day earlier or making practice longer.
Old 15 Sep 2008, 21:27 (Ref:2291286)   #15
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadrun96
It seems like a lot of IFs are being thrown around just because it's change. If the race runs in Monaco in the rain, everybody gets excited about how it closes the field up and makes the underdog have a chance. Now suddenly we are worried about so many variables, every one of which has to happen, that we should call the whole thing off? Seems like a line from a great college movie applies here, "worrying's alot like a rocking chair, gives you something to do but won't get you anywhere."
It's not the rain that's the issue, it's the glare from the floodlights and the rain.

Quote:
I trust the F1 drivers are good enough they can modify their speeds to suit the conditions, and if not are they really the greatest drivers in the world? Maybe I'm just the only person who thinks this isn't the end of the world and will be a great show for anyone that's lucky enough to see it in HD.
His Shortness doesn't get an HD feed done.

Quote:
But yes, I do agree that at least one practice and qualifying should be run under the lights, if not adding another round a day earlier or making practice longer.
It looks like all sessions will be under lights.
Old 16 Sep 2008, 11:59 (Ref:2291733)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
You have to wonder if the race organisers were in their right minds to agree to a night race when most of the weather forecasts that I've seen are predicting heavy showers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/5day.shtml?world=0089

This is apparently quite normal weather for the time of year!
Old 16 Sep 2008, 12:11 (Ref:2291744)   #17
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
seems McLaren are taking extra precautions, ready for Singapore.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=654_1221469159
Old 16 Sep 2008, 12:36 (Ref:2291762)   #18
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Excellent, and I didn't think they'd got a sense of humour...
Old 16 Sep 2008, 15:48 (Ref:2291903)   #19
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT
Excellent, and I didn't think they'd got a sense of humour...
No Germans were involved in the making of that film.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:10 (Ref:2292188)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Also let's not forget that unlike Valencia,there hasn't actually been any racing on this track yet.So if the track falls apart or there's a river where the pit lane should be,then it'll probably be too late to do anything about it.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 00:16 (Ref:2292190)   #21
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
So, I guess sports car drivers are more ballsy than F1 drivers now. They've raced at night, and in the rain, at both Le Mans, AND Daytona.

Also, in the McLaren video, notice the car has slicks on it.

Last edited by Matt; 17 Sep 2008 at 00:19.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2292212)   #22
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Meh.

Have a go.

The authorities can always do what they do.

Live a little.

(It is unfair to compare single-seaters to the other options. Saying that, a vehicle with headlights can cope better than a vehicle without them is stating the obvious.

Last edited by Dutton; 17 Sep 2008 at 02:05.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 02:39 (Ref:2292223)   #23
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Actually, I'd be willing to say the car without light might be at an advantage. The beams wont be reflecting off the raindrops, thus being able to see a little better.
Old 17 Sep 2008, 13:35 (Ref:2292534)   #24
MacMan
Racer

Australia
Perth
MacMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
good to see McLaren have a sense of humour, bloody funny stuff.
Old 18 Sep 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2293000)   #25
jonyq
Rookie

jonyq should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd just throw in a little bit of local knowledge here...

For some reason, it does not tend to rain at night in Singapore! In the morning yes, afternoon yes... but hardly ever at night.