Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 8 Feb 2002, 15:48 (Ref:212360)   #1
KC
Veteran

United States
Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA
KC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKC should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Paul Tracy focussed on 2002

The changes to Paul Tracy who, over the past six months, has lost 30 pounds and firmed up considerably, were apparent to the eye. Tracy has spent the off-season taking long bicycle rides in the mountain areas around his Las Vegas area and, pretty much residing in the gym. After the difficult season he experienced in 2001, Tracy knew it was time for some changes.

"2001 wasn't the most productive year for me and our team and I knew I had to make some changes. When I first came to Team KOOL Green in 1998," Tracy reminded, "I had a tough year. Things went well in 1999 and 2000, but last year we just weren't consistent enough. Toward the end of the year, we were fast, but the results just weren't there. You can see what I've done all winter to be prepared," he said. Saturday and Sunday, we'll see what the team has done.

With the loss of deFerran and Castroneves, is Team Green going to be the most consistent competition to Target-Chip Ganassi?
Never forget #99
Old 8 Feb 2002, 23:47 (Ref:212786)   #2
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tracy is a big chance.... if he can keep his car off the scenery and the other cars. Paul would have been the champion in 1993 had he not crashed out too many times, and I'm certain he could have been champion many times since... He was supposed to be a changed last season, but nothing really happened to his on track performance. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? If you can, Paul will win by a streak...
Old 9 Feb 2002, 02:56 (Ref:212840)   #3
Dr. Austin
Veteran

Dr. Austin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evey time that I think paul has turned the corner, he goes bonehead. I keep waiting for this guy to fufill his potential but every year it's "next year." Another guy like that is Robbie Gordon. So much unbridled talent, but too much proclivity to getting into trouble. I don't believe anyone in CART history has been on probation, fined, or suspended as much as Tracy. He doesn't help himself by being so brutally honest, but I love him for it.

So those two are proof that there is more to it that raw natural talent. But if either one of them could get it hooked up and sustained, it would be over for the rest.
Old 9 Feb 2002, 03:46 (Ref:212848)   #4
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IIRC, the only year when the champion had as many contact DNFs as Tracy was when Montoya won in his rookie year... but remember Montoya made a fair few rookie mistakes, but was otherwise brilliant with a team that had their act together. Is it possible that teams running Champ Cars and the Indy 500 won't be focussed enough to win the championship?