Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 16 Feb 2004, 22:57 (Ref:876312)   #1
SurfaceUnits
Racer

SurfaceUnits should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rule Changes For 2004 Season

INDIANAPOLIS (February 16, 2004) – Known throughout motorsports for its commitment to safety as well as its passion for competition, the Champ Car World Series continued to make improvements in both areas with the release of its 2004 Rule Book. The mandatory pit-stop rule has been adjusted for 2004 to bring more strategy into play, especially when combined with the new point system which awards points for leading a race lap. Teams will be required to perform either two or three green-flag stops during a race and must have those stops completed by a certain point in the event. Champ Car Racing Operations will determine the number and at what point those stops must be completed prior to the race weekend. All green-flag stops must include a four-tire change in order to meet the series requirements.

http://www.champcarworldseries.com/N...le.asp?ID=7516
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:00 (Ref:876320)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Don't like mandatory pit stops.

You should be able to stop when you want.

Keep it simple means one less thing to explain to new/casual viewers.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:16 (Ref:876345)   #3
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Agreed. Making up these increasingly complicated rules about pit-stops doesn't do much for me either. I can't believe that they make all that much difference to how races unfold. I also don't like the fact that they're trying to control things too much - pit strategy is a perfectly legitimate part of racing.
Old 16 Feb 2004, 23:52 (Ref:876387)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I did not much care of the old days and fuel economy runs either. I hope that they are moving in the right direction.

Quote:
Fans will benefit from the rule changes as well, as teams will no longer be allowed to scramble their radio transmissions during a race weekend, meaning that fans that have scanners will be able to experience all the conversations between a team and driver during every Champ Car session during a weekend.
As a fan I like this rule. As a team I would not like it, no secrets. I guess we will hear some new language as teams try and disguise their strategies and the race evolves.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 11:36 (Ref:876837)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mandatory pitstops aren't ideal, but they do prevent teams getting lucky on strategy and fluking good results. having people listening into pits/car radio is a good idea, and prevents teams from trying any dubious tactics midrace.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 14:06 (Ref:876997)   #6
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
But getting lucky on strategy and "fluking" a good result is a part of racing too.

What they need to do is cut down on the full course yellows and that in itself will prevent many of the "economy runs".
Old 17 Feb 2004, 16:50 (Ref:877177)   #7
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also don't like enforcing pit stop rules, it will be interesting to see how the rule differs this year from the last 2.
Old 17 Feb 2004, 18:36 (Ref:877314)   #8
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i do like the Penalty system- it should keep people form being idiot "heros", take away a championship point for dumb moves like taking out the points leader when you team mate is second, and things like that- although a defined infraction=points loss system shouold be set up, not so arbitrary as it seemed in the article.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 03:22 (Ref:877900)   #9
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
and another thing the team roster limit is really cool, it makes it a team thing very much so and i like it...
Old 18 Feb 2004, 12:24 (Ref:878214)   #10
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I like the $1,000 fine for hitting people on pit lane, but Mikey isn't in CCWS any more and they won't collect very much.

But I confess I don't understand this bit:
Quote:
This season, any driver causing an incident that negatively affects a competitor will be immediately subjected to a drive-through penalty.
If Paul Tracy yells "Frogface" at Bourdais and the latter bursts into tears, does PT get a penalty? If Tag throws another tantrum after qualifying and accuses PT of deliberately preventing him from taking pole, does PT get a penalty or does Tag? If a driver with unattractive legs appears in shorts at a press conference ... in fact, if someone wins a race (which "negatively affects ALL the other competitors") ...

I don't have any idea what this means. It seems like a catch-all rule that will allow the Race Steward to punish anybody for anything.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 16:11 (Ref:878415)   #11
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If teams aren't allowed to scramble transmissions, I think I'd better brush up on my Brazilian Portuguese. No rule against using other languages, right?

keke
Old 18 Feb 2004, 17:08 (Ref:878467)   #12
jj2728
Veteran

jj2728 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
don't like the mandatory pit stops under green flags either....with some of the street course venues that offer a plethora of full course yellow running, when are they gonna stop?.......sounds confusing...
Old 18 Feb 2004, 18:33 (Ref:878542)   #13
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
I don't have any idea what this means. It seems like a catch-all rule that will allow the Race Steward to punish anybody for anything.
It does appear to be a little confusing on the face of it, but upon reflection the truth behind this new rule is quite obvious. Note the phrase "drive-through" and you will see the connection with a new sponsor. If there is an on-track infringement, a driver will have to come into his pit stall; if there is an off-track infringement, the culprit will have to visit that 'restaurant!'

PS - Liz, I'm wondering why all your examples of infractions involve PT?
Old 18 Feb 2004, 18:38 (Ref:878545)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And watch for the Race Steward DRESSED as a clown!

I use PT as an example because it seems that he attracts the vast majority of the penalties, earned and unearned.

Last edited by Liz; 18 Feb 2004 at 18:40.
Old 18 Feb 2004, 19:38 (Ref:878623)   #15
Emfa
Veteran

Australia
Colorado Springs
Emfa should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
And watch for the Race Steward DRESSED as a clown!

PT is quite the lightning rod, isn't he!
Old 18 Feb 2004, 20:48 (Ref:878686)   #16
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Paul Tracy overheard on his car radio serving a drive-through penalty in 2004....."Can I have a happy meal to go and step on it!!"