Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 17 May 2005, 21:23 (Ref:1303263)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Buddy Rice Will Not Be in the Indy 500

According to the IRL's website, Dr. Henry Bock did not clear Buddy Rice to drive, and he apparently has a torn ligament in his back that is important to allign the spine....

It will take 2-3 weeks of rest and rehab to get well...

Therefore, Buddy Rice will not defend his Indy 500 crown this year.

Rahal-Letterman Racing will name a replacement driver on May 18th....

The plot thickens....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 17 May 2005, 21:34 (Ref:1303281)   #2
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
infoxicated has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Aww... man, that's terrible - I like Buddy a lot and it was a real disappointment to watch his championship chase fade away last year.

Bummer - hope he's fit in time for Texas.
Old 17 May 2005, 21:35 (Ref:1303285)   #3
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow, that is terrible news!

Buddy has really been snake bitten this season, and really not a contender. This will really set him back in trying to get back in the championship hunt.

I just can't see Kenny Brack being ready for this as some have mentioned. Could Jeff Simmons get the call? He rightly deserves it IMO. And where the hell is Townsend Bell these days? Also looking at some of the IPS guys that need to move up, would be Thiago Medieros, and Travis Gregg.

Yes, the plot thickens!

Danica Patrick
Old 17 May 2005, 22:06 (Ref:1303315)   #4
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
I say no way to Kenny Brack - if it was something like Richmond or Milwaukee then fair enough, but this is probably the most dangerous, physical race on the calendar and Kenny should keep well away.

Townsend Bell done alright from when he jumped in last year, though, but got a bit crashy late on.
Old 17 May 2005, 22:42 (Ref:1303330)   #5
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its sounds like Brack will get the nod, according to ESPN here in the states. Hopfully he is physically up to it.
Old 17 May 2005, 23:23 (Ref:1303347)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Terrible, terrible luck for Rice.

Hasn't Brack pretty much indicated that he won't go back to oval racing? I don't think anyone would blame him for passing.
Old 17 May 2005, 23:48 (Ref:1303355)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorces apparently have been contacted by both ESPN and by the local ABC affiliate here in Indy (where I believe ESPN got their news) that it will be Kenny Brack...

We'll get official word tomorrow...

BTW...Hemelgarn has not naimed a replacement yet...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 18 May 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1303367)   #8
Team Owner
Racer

Team Owner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt
Sorces apparently have been contacted by both ESPN and by the local ABC affiliate here in Indy (where I believe ESPN got their news) that it will be Kenny Brack...

We'll get official word tomorrow...

BTW...Hemelgarn has not naimed a replacement yet...

Garage rumors have Jimmy Kite in the Hemmelgarn car and I understand that it's now on RacingOnePress.

Here's the link.

http://www.racingone.com/series_front.asp?series=3
Old 18 May 2005, 02:47 (Ref:1303400)   #9
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Can I still hope for Danny Ongais???
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 18 May 2005, 03:28 (Ref:1303413)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Brack would be crazy to go back in........
Old 18 May 2005, 05:17 (Ref:1303433)   #11
Refutation
Racer

Refutation should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
I think Brack would be crazy to go back in........
Well the confirmation of Insanity should come in at around 9am tomorrow morning. Go Kenny!
Old 18 May 2005, 05:23 (Ref:1303435)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wish Kenny had retired.

He's had his time, and got out of it - don't come back and take the risks again.
Old 18 May 2005, 06:51 (Ref:1303471)   #13
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
uhmmm ....last call for soem Nascar driver?

About Buddy, this season seems just the contrary of the previous, taking him away all the good he had gotten last year.
Old 18 May 2005, 07:31 (Ref:1303498)   #14
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Knowing that Kenny has worked real hard to get back in shape I don't see a problem with it. I mean, should he stay away just because he had a bad accident in 2003? If so that is an insult to every single racing driver who has come back from a major injury to race again.

Of course I'm biased, but I don't get this talk that Kenny should stay away. It's like saying that Hakkinen should have given up on F-1 after his near-fatal accident in 1995.
Old 18 May 2005, 07:33 (Ref:1303500)   #15
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by climb
uhmmm ....last call for soem Nascar driver?
All stock-car drivers are, unfortunately, ruled out of the Indy 500 due to the later starting-time.

Unless, of course, they skip the Coca-Cola 600 or have someone else start their car (which, then again, wouldn't solve it as the starting driver would get the credit...).

I know that Casey Mears visited Indy a few days ago, and when interviewed he said he had talked to Ganassi to try and get a deal done for a future Indy 500, so I dunno... Perhaps some Cup drivers are indeed prepared to skip the Coke 600 in favor of the Indy 500 after all.

EDIT - John Andretti would be an option though, considering he's currently forced to sit out the Cup races after the sponsor-checques bounced.
Old 18 May 2005, 07:45 (Ref:1303509)   #16
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about Marcos Ambrose ?
Old 18 May 2005, 07:56 (Ref:1303515)   #17
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyfan
Of course I'm biased, but I don't get this talk that Kenny should stay away. It's like saying that Hakkinen should have given up on F-1 after his near-fatal accident in 1995.
I think that's completely different - Hakkinen was in his 20's when that head injury happened, so he had the youth to make a full recovery and ended up even more fearless when he did so.

Kenny has gone on record as saying that he's not sure it's worth it, as by the time he felt he was in good enough shape he'd be pushing 40. I like Kenny Brack a lot - he has nothing left to prove, and I'm not sure chasing an Indy 500 after being out for so long is the best thing for him.

At the end of the day, though, only Kenny knows for sure if he's up to it - and I don't mean up to the race, I mean up to the kind of impact he can expect to take if he's in a crash. If he decides he can take it then I'll cheer him every lap he makes.
Old 18 May 2005, 08:43 (Ref:1303545)   #18
jock25
Racer

jock25 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fairytale ending in the offing perhaps?

Indy 500 winner...horrendous accident...long rehabilitation...(almost) totally written-off...Indy 500 winner...

It is these kinds of story which have build the Indy legend so...
Old 18 May 2005, 08:48 (Ref:1303549)   #19
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Can I still hope for Danny Ongais???
When did he last race?
Old 18 May 2005, 08:54 (Ref:1303555)   #20
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by esorniloc
When did he last race?
The 1996 Indianapolis 500. He qualified 33rd and finished 7th.

EDIT: My bad - he also raced in the 1997 race at Walt Disney Speedway, finishing 13th after starting 16th.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:21 (Ref:1303575)   #21
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock25
Fairytale ending in the offing perhaps?

Indy 500 winner...horrendous accident...long rehabilitation...(almost) totally written-off...Indy 500 winner...

It is these kinds of story which have build the Indy legend so...
Maybe you're right, but there's an equal chance of a nightmare ending, too.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:27 (Ref:1303582)   #22
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Kenny has always said he wanted to retire on his own terms, and not because of an injury. I think he would want this to be his swansong, then hang up the helmet for good...
Old 18 May 2005, 09:29 (Ref:1303585)   #23
infoxicated
Rookie

Scotland
UK
If he is chosen to replace Rice, he couldn't be in a better position (unless he was on AGR) - the data gathered from Danica and Vitor's cars would bring him up to speed pretty quickly, I imagine.
Old 18 May 2005, 09:49 (Ref:1303599)   #24
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by infoxicated
Maybe you're right, but there's an equal chance of a nightmare ending, too.
The chance of something happening to Kenny, IF he indeed is the one taking over for Rice, is just as big as something happening to everyone else in the race.
Old 18 May 2005, 10:17 (Ref:1303616)   #25
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe Bobby will pull on the overalls and take his car for a run?

Mario managed it last year...
#CANCERSUCKS