Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 May 2010, 09:44 (Ref:2683083)   #1
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Alfie72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BMW engined sportscars!!

I am wating for the "Precision" police to jump on me for posting this, because it's neither an E28 nor is it Group A.

But its a good excused to bring Rad Dougall, Tom Walkinshaw and Ted Toleman into the conversation again with a photo of a lovely looking car - and of course it had a 2 litre BMW engine so those are my excuses
Attached Thumbnails
Osella BMW Toleman.jpg  
Old 2 May 2010, 10:48 (Ref:2683113)   #2
Jesper OH
Veteran

Jesper OH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
..only that Dieter Quester replaced Toleman for this 1978 race, if I'm correct. The team also entered a 3.0 CSL, that was a no show.

Jesper
Old 3 May 2010, 07:49 (Ref:2683622)   #3
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
..only that Dieter Quester replaced Toleman for this 1978 race, if I'm correct. The team also entered a 3.0 CSL, that was a no show.

Jesper
Jesper - spot on. Toleman got out of the car during practice and acknowledged that it was all a bit above his skill level and so they drafted DQ in to replace him.

The car didn't last long however, I do have the timesheets somewhere, but I can't put my hands on them. That's why I was so relieved to find the photo.
Old 3 May 2010, 08:01 (Ref:2683628)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
This car also had a BMW unit fitted, I know as I helped install it!
Attached Thumbnails
146-new_2006-01-16-1_astra_lap_of_honour_brands_hatch.jpg  
Old 3 May 2010, 17:25 (Ref:2683856)   #5
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfie72 View Post
I am wating for the "Precision" police to jump on me for posting this, because it's neither an E28 nor is it Group A.

But its a good excused to bring Rad Dougall, Tom Walkinshaw and Ted Toleman into the conversation again with a photo of a lovely looking car - and of course it had a 2 litre BMW engine so those are my excuses
You said it Alfie!!!

Sorry guys I am obviously going to state the obvious but those last few posts were so off topic I decided to move them and start a BMW engined sportscar thread for you to carry on instead!!!!
Old 4 May 2010, 08:51 (Ref:2684111)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, an excellent subject in its own right. Let's see some more!
Old 4 May 2010, 08:55 (Ref:2684113)   #7
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner View Post
Yes, an excellent subject in its own right. Let's see some more!
Ah John, I detect this could be a favourite subject of yours? (the make of car in your avatar might be a hint!!)

Well folks how many Bimmer engined sportsracers were built? Must be hundreds if not thousands!!

I can think of a fair few in more recent historical times like Saubers and Osellas that competed in the latter days Group 6 and the early days of Group C, but then I'm also sure there were loads in the 70's like Marches for example?
Old 4 May 2010, 09:13 (Ref:2684123)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Chevrons, I believe the Astra I showed previously was fitted with the BMW unit to challenge the all concouring Chevrons.
Old 4 May 2010, 09:21 (Ref:2684127)   #9
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Ahhh, of course!! That's right Al, I suppose Chevrons were the sportscar racers to have if you were going to employ Bee-em power for many years?
Old 4 May 2010, 10:24 (Ref:2684160)   #10
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And Crossle's - in the 60s. Still being used in the 9s
Old 4 May 2010, 10:28 (Ref:2684163)   #11
SAMD
Veteran

SAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSAMD should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a youtube video of a mind bogglingly quick sports racer with a 3.0 BM engine being used in a hillclimb. Bergrennen or somesuch I think it came under.
Old 4 May 2010, 10:37 (Ref:2684169)   #12
SAMD
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Robinson View Post
This was it, and heaven help me if I dont still get goosebumps when I watch it.
Old 5 May 2010, 11:25 (Ref:2684743)   #13
Alfie72
Rookie

United Kingdom
Buckingham
Chunterer - no worries. At least you do it with a "smile" unlike some forums I could mention(?)

I'm gradually working through the pile of stuff I've just rescued from my late mother's house (how inconsiderate - where does she expect me to put everything now?!).

I've recently spotted a picture of Tony Dean at Cadwell breaking the outright lap record in his Crossle BMW so when I find it again, I'll pop it on.
Old 5 May 2010, 20:44 (Ref:2685016)   #14
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall a Brun Racing Sehcar SH C6 BMW Turbo at the 1983 Nurburgring 100kms race.

There are some photos after its accident, I will have a look now..

EDIT>>FOund it.

Old 6 May 2010, 11:49 (Ref:2685295)   #15
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Wasn't the Sehcar Brun's modified version of a Sauber C6- usually raced with either a Cosworth DFL or a non-turbo BMW straight 6?
http://images.caradisiac.com/images/...er-C-95445.jpg

French privateer Roland Bassaler was still turning one of these out at Le Mans in the early 90's, although it had been much modified in it's later appearances- it still kept the BMW engine though...
http://www.sportscar-racing.thesaxby...k/sauberc6.jpg

1993:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-20-028.jpg
Old 6 May 2010, 17:02 (Ref:2685469)   #16
Jesper OH
Veteran

Can't remember the exact story of the Sauber/Sehcar, but I think Sehcar & Hoffmann fabricated the bodywork while Sauber did the chassis. I will have to look this one up.

Jesper
Old 14 May 2010, 10:29 (Ref:2690263)   #17
Jesper OH
Veteran

http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...=sauber+sehcar

Post #8 pretty much explains the Sauber/Sehcar story, so not much point of retelling it here.

During the group C period the BMW M88 engine saw a lot of usage, usually in the CJ/C2 catagory, but there were a few anomalies. Gebhardt used a straight four 2 litre engine of presumed Formula 2 heritage. I guess it had good fuel milage, but lacked in speed.
The BMW engine in the Nykjaer (Nykjær) of 1985 used a straight six of CSL heritage. Strange, as Nykjær for a decade up till then used to stuff Porsche flat sixes into Volkswagen Beetles and regular 911s and co-driver and -sponsor Holger Knudsen (Kjellerup Autolager) was a GM-man.

Jesper
Old 14 May 2010, 11:50 (Ref:2690307)   #18
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper OH View Post
http://forums.autosport.com/index.ph...=sauber+sehcar

Post #8 pretty much explains the Sauber/Sehcar story, so not much point of retelling it here.

During the group C period the BMW M88 engine saw a lot of usage, usually in the CJ/C2 catagory, but there were a few anomalies. Gebhardt used a straight four 2 litre engine of presumed Formula 2 heritage. I guess it had good fuel milage, but lacked in speed.
The BMW engine in the Nykjaer (Nykjær) of 1985 used a straight six of CSL heritage. Strange, as Nykjær for a decade up till then used to stuff Porsche flat sixes into Volkswagen Beetles and regular 911s and co-driver and -sponsor Holger Knudsen (Kjellerup Autolager) was a GM-man.

Jesper
Thanks Jesper

I'm trying to think of the other BMW-powered Group C/C2 cars apart from the aforementioned Sauber/Sehcar, Gebhardts and Nykjaer

URD C81/C83- Mainly seen in the early years of Group C, up to about 1984. Occasionally Porsche-engined, but usually a BMW M88 straight-6.
Danish ex-BMW M1 runner Jens Winther campaigned his Castrol-sponsored car through 1984-6, and the 'factory' team came back in '87
http://www.racingsportscars.com/make/photo/URD.html

ALD- Louis Descartes' outfit were perennial C2 tailenders with their M88-engined cars from about 1985. Dabbled briefly with an Audi turbo, but moved to Cosworths by 1989. Also entered by Didier Bonnet, IIRC sometimes 2/3 cars appearing on entry lists by 1989. http://i38.tinypic.com/346rksm.jpg

Sthemo- 1983/4- From memory, originally used a BMW 4-cylinder of an odd 2.2 litre capacity, but later an M88. Think it was based on a TOJ chassis (similar to the Nykjaer?)
http://www.les24heures.fr/24hphotoar...64sthemo-2.jpg

Isolia- Entered by Jean-Claude Ferrarin. Did this use a 6 or 4-cylinder (M12?) engine? Appeared infrequently around 1985/6, Cosworth-powered in later races IIRC. Chevron based, using the same bodywork design that appeared on the Sthemo (and also Jose Thibault's infamous Chevron-ROC...)
http://i66.servimg.com/u/f66/11/46/01/93/isolia10.jpg
Old 14 May 2010, 12:14 (Ref:2690325)   #19
KA
Veteran

A few more...

Lola- Harald Becker ran a Lola T600 with a BMW turbo engine (1.6 litre I think?) Was still appearing in Interserie races into the early 90s- the white pic is one I took at a Brands Hatch BTCC & Interserie meeting in 1990
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1042/...bd91416ffd.jpg
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-26-058.jpg

Maurer C87- Don't recall much about this one- think it did appear in a couple of World Championship rounds as well as local Supercup, Interserie etc races in Germany?
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-26-073.jpg

Sturtz. Another one that's a bit of a mystery to me- I know I've heard of Peter Sturtz's BMW turbo-engined car, but can't remember much about it
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-06-25-071.jpg

...and then there's the Wagner- based on a single-seater chassis I think, it turned up in German Supercup races in the late 80's. Frankly, words fail me on this one.... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/...a6d932f753.jpg

I'm sure there were more though...and then there are the various BMW-powered IMSA cars. BMW's biggest sportscar involvement during the Group C period was the factory-backed March-BMW IMSA programme- from memory, the car was fast but fragile (and tended to catch fire a lot...)
http://www.sportscardigest.com/wp-co...arch-gtp-2.jpg

Last edited by KA; 14 May 2010 at 12:19.
Old 14 May 2010, 13:06 (Ref:2690361)   #20
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA View Post

....and then there's the Wagner- based on a single-seater chassis I think, it turned up in German Supercup races in the late 80's. Frankly, words fail me on this one.... http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2371/...a6d932f753.jpg
Oh dear......

Looks like an 'unfinished' C100!!!
Old 18 May 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2693560)   #21
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't forget the Lotec M1C, 3.5 straight six engined
Old 18 May 2010, 22:00 (Ref:2693610)   #22
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
stuart thompson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember that URD chassis were in the WSPC up till 87 when I was at the Brands 1000k it crashed at paddock around mid distance. ALD were running a pair of similar 3.5 engined cars also. Ithink ALD ran a solo BMW 3.5 engined car into 88.
Old 18 May 2010, 22:03 (Ref:2693614)   #23
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
The Nurburgring museum have a March built BMW M1 twin turbo on display.
Old 18 May 2010, 22:08 (Ref:2693621)   #24
stuart thompson
Veteran

England
Northfleet, Kent
[QUOTE=KA;2690307]Thanks Jesper

URD C81/C83- Mainly seen in the early years of Group C, up to about 1984. Occasionally Porsche-engined, but usually a BMW M88 straight-6.
Danish ex-BMW M1 runner Jens Winther campaigned his Castrol-sponsored car through 1984-6, and the 'factory' team came back in '87
http://www.racingsportscars.com/make/photo/URD.html

Ah, thats where I remember the name Helmut Mundas from.
Old 19 May 2010, 06:06 (Ref:2693774)   #25
Jesper OH
Veteran

The factory URD even made it to the States by 1988, running in at least the combined IMSA/Group C race in Tampa, Florida.

The Jens Winther URD was finally sold about 18 months ago and re-appeared on the track for the Copenhagen Classic Car GP last summer, running in the Le Mans exhibition race with Winther himself now guest driving his former car.

Jesper