Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:01 (Ref:819434)   #1
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Carrera Cup in 2004...

The only man beaten by Speedy Thexton on pace this season, Ash Samadi, has purchased Jim Richards' 2003 Carrera Cup championship-winning Porsche.

Samadi is likely to run this car in the 2004 Carrera Cup series and Nations Cup where funds permit.

Fresh from 2nd in class at the Bathurst 24hr, Samadi tested the car at Eastern Creek last week... where unfortunately he bingled the car very early on after taking delivery, hopefully the funds had already cleared by this stage

Interesting that JR has sold his championship winner, presumably he is buying another one to defend his title???
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:08 (Ref:819440)   #2
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jim is always buying another race car - I'm sure he will be there with a reliable and effective new car...
Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:14 (Ref:819448)   #3
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There are a few 2003 CC cars around at the moment, Geoff Morgan is trying to sell his, so is Tim Pritchard (who owns the Gulf-paintwork car Klark Quinn has been using), James Dutton (who has Richo's 2002 car upspecced) has been trying to get out for a while, and Dr Roger Oakeshott fresh from performing surgery on Murf also has his car up for sale...

Its not the sign of impending doom, but more than 10% of the class are trying to sell their current cars thats a trifle scary...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:41 (Ref:819468)   #4
pete55
Veteran

pete55 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Isn't Jim going NC?
That aside Carrera Cup is something i don't bother watching anyway.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 22:52 (Ref:819474)   #5
ford boy
Veteran

ford boy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When they were at Eastern Creek on the tv thought i heard them say he was updating to a 04 spec car which they just started.
Old 23 Dec 2003, 23:05 (Ref:819487)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
Last Monday I believe...

JR has likely bought a new car for 2004 for CC, and is building a 'mongrel' Porsche for NC as well
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Dec 2003, 01:05 (Ref:819586)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw the series in person this year at winton and I liked it quite a lot. Hopefully it will be around for a while. It's definately better than some of the other one make series out there.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 01:42 (Ref:819602)   #8
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
About the only thing I would question would be the use of ABS brakes in this category.

There isnt another series in Australia (now that Nations Cup has banned it) that uses ABS, so the question for me may be the relevance of these cars as a stepping stone to other classes, when there is such a fundamental difference in technique.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Dec 2003, 05:24 (Ref:819670)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
About the only thing I would question would be the use of ABS brakes in this category.

There isnt another series in Australia (now that Nations Cup has banned it) that uses ABS, so the question for me may be the relevance of these cars as a stepping stone to other classes, when there is such a fundamental difference in technique.
I would agree with that, but it's still fun to watch.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 05:39 (Ref:819678)   #10
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does the International Supercup, and all the other Carrera Cup series around the world use ABS? If so, then the Australian series should as well.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 05:49 (Ref:819683)   #11
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
They all use ABS overseas, but it depends how relevant the overseas experience is to the local environment.

If you want to run Supercar, you have to learn to drive without ABS... there is a difference in technique, and makes the learning curve just that much harder in switching
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Dec 2003, 06:02 (Ref:819691)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
True, but isn't one of the selling points of the Carrera Cup series that it is an International formula, running to the exact same regulations as everyone else.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 07:09 (Ref:819702)   #13
moffman
Veteran

moffman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by GTRMagic
They all use ABS overseas, but it depends how relevant the overseas experience is to the local environment.

If you want to run Supercar, you have to learn to drive without ABS... there is a difference in technique, and makes the learning curve just that much harder in switching
If you cannot adapt from one car to another, maybe you have no business playing racing car driver.The switch didn't seem to bother Jimmy at Bathurst....
Old 24 Dec 2003, 07:27 (Ref:819708)   #14
mayhem
Veteran

Aruba
On that Island in LOST.
mayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmayhem should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jimmy is doing the CC in '04, in a new car.
And the 'rogue' NC Porsche he is building won't be at the first round apparently. Maybe he is building it with a specific race in mind, you know to reach that 'perfect ten' (he only needs three doesn't he?).
And good luck to Ash, I'm sure he will be racing others at different stages of the year, not running around by himself.
Old 24 Dec 2003, 09:01 (Ref:819764)   #15
mixxer
Veteran

Australia
Somewhere over the rainbow
mixxer has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think they kept ABS to even out the playing field (at least under brakes) and negate the extra experience that some of the drivers would have had by already being familiar with that type of car, not that I agree with its use
Old 24 Dec 2003, 16:48 (Ref:820072)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally posted by mixxer
I think they kept ABS to even out the playing field (at least under brakes) and negate the extra experience that some of the drivers would have had by already being familiar with that type of car, not that I agree with its use
For sure it's amateur hour for some of the drivers in carrera cup. Just by watching you can pick the pros out from the amateurs. I'm sure abs helps the amateurs, without it I'd expect to see them off the road a bit more.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:03 (Ref:864908)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
So who besides me is concerned at the sheer number of advertisements recently for Carrera Cup cars for sale, including their 2004 franchises?

The entry fee is a steep $25k for participation in that series... to help cover an enormous AVESCO paricipation & sanctioning fee...

Drivers whose cars and operations have been seen for sale or lease include Andrew Miedecke, Geoff Morgan, Andrew Taplin, Tim Pritchard, James Dutton, Rodney Jane, Greg Keene amongst others, with Murf's mob also offering one of their 2003 cars for sale.

Alongside some serious noise about a change in participation from Lifestyle Motorsport, there may be far fewer cars on this grid than first expected.
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:21 (Ref:864923)   #18
zonda
Rookie

zonda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just a side note, i found the Carrera Cup series pretty damn good. The racing was fairly close, and ill have to say i found it more interesting than many of the other series running under the AVESCO banner at V8 Supercar rounds.

dave.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:26 (Ref:864924)   #19
RaceTime
Veteran

RaceTime should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which then begs the question - will it be allowed to stay that way with good racing?

Or will it be seen as a threat????
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:47 (Ref:864939)   #20
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
The way to eliminate the threat is to jack up the price. With the participation and sanctioning fee close to $600k for season 2004, thats is a lot of $25k entrants (24...) to cover that cost....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:55 (Ref:864945)   #21
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I know of 2 drivers who have been scared off entering for Season 2004 because they feel that the commercial viability isn't offset by the cost.

Still, if you compare it to Konica, it is cheap. The racing is close, it gets Supercar crowds, TV is a sharp package too.

But the cost of competing is fast approaching AUS$200k a car for 2 cars. Surely it could be made cheaper?
Old 6 Feb 2004, 02:59 (Ref:864947)   #22
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDI, that figure is no where near what I know a few teams spent last year, keep going up.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 03:03 (Ref:864950)   #23
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Exactly Sevi, and there in lies the challenge!

There is only so many Tony Quinn's and Jim Richards!
Old 6 Feb 2004, 03:05 (Ref:864952)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
I am aware of a subsidised drive taken up by someone who may or may not be a namesake of an F1 driver, who was required to find a similar amount to the number you quote in sponsorship to secure the gig.

Having said that, Jim Richards' racing program in CC costs something in the region of $250k for the year, the balance of costs on the Targa programs...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 6 Feb 2004, 03:13 (Ref:864957)   #25
sevi
Veteran

sevi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JDI, does that include the purchase of the car as well?