Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 May 2008, 14:01 (Ref:2203131)   #1
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumacher gets a little testy in Toronto

http://en.autos.sympatico.msn.ca/gui...mentid=7319476

Quote:
How do you annoy the greatest Formula 1 driver ever? Just ask multiple record holder Michael Schumacher about his Villeneuve “mistake”
Ex-Formula One driver Michael Schumacher may have retired from racing at the end of the 2006 season, with more records and championships than any driver to come before him, but he is still a key member of Ferrari's race efforts and development program.
Quote:
Q: Back to 1997, last race of the season, you're battling with Jacques Villeneuve for the driver's title, and he tries passing you on the inside. You go in to the corner, go out - presumably because you see him -then move back in on [and hit] Villeneuve. Why?

A: What, am I on trial here? [Said with a smile, but a questioning glance to the PR manager sitting next to us.]

Q: No, but from a driver's perspective, is there something you saw, were his wheels not at a certain point, that made you think he might back out of the pass?

A: [after a brief pause] I didn't feel I had to give up the corner. It ended up that that was a mistake, obviously.
Would've loved to have been in that room
Old 15 May 2008, 16:00 (Ref:2203212)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But why bother to ask that question - again - now? Why ask a question that can only have been meant to annoy him? I'm not saying he should be free from annoyance, but it's verging on ancient history, isn't it?
Old 15 May 2008, 17:01 (Ref:2203265)   #3
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Probably because this is one of the few times he's been made available to the Canadian Press
Old 15 May 2008, 17:03 (Ref:2203268)   #4
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Who the hell are Jacques Villenueve and Michael Schumacher?
Old 15 May 2008, 17:10 (Ref:2203273)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Journalism at the cutting edge, only the finest questions hand picked.
Old 15 May 2008, 17:21 (Ref:2203284)   #6
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Its quite clear that he turns in, then turns out when he see's JV coming, then turns in again to try and end both of their races.
Old 15 May 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2203312)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What a weak and pointless question.
Old 15 May 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2203322)   #8
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralf fan
Who the hell are Jacques Villenueve and Michael Schumacher?
People we don't talk about round these parts.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 15 May 2008, 18:41 (Ref:2203337)   #9
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What point tried that journalist to make? Why don't people stop talking about that stupid incident? Schumacher was punished and that's it.
Old 15 May 2008, 19:11 (Ref:2203356)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
sounds like good sport to me... it can be interesting to see if people change their views or perspective over time, especially after retirement
Old 15 May 2008, 19:56 (Ref:2203390)   #11
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This question is as useless as if any journo, in the 1960s, asked Jim Clark about the position of his Lotus wheels on the accident he protagonized with the Ferrari of Wolfgang von Trips during the second lap of the 1961 Italian GP.

And can't find a most similar situation to this, on this special case. Let get Schumi in peace, he's retired from F1 race driving now...
Old 15 May 2008, 20:17 (Ref:2203411)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Schumacher drove into Villeneuve to try and win the championship. Why does the journalist need to ask that question eleven years after to find that out?
Old 15 May 2008, 20:26 (Ref:2203420)   #13
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is what the Noddy that asked the question looks like (and I call him a Noddy because who in their right mind would ask such a question and expect a positive interview).

I just love this quote from him

Quote:
"When a fresh concept hits the right buttons, it's simply magic," says Bettencourt. "Hit the wrong ones, of course, and it's more disastrous than amateur standup comedy."

It was from the "2003 North American Concept Vehicle of the Year Awards Jury Biographies" but still made me laugh reading the "fresh concept" bit

http://www.southeastautomedia.org/concept/jury02.htm

Some of his other stuff isnt bad though, must have been a momentary lap of reason
Old 15 May 2008, 21:01 (Ref:2203456)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Everyone knows what happened, Schumacher was punished, and has since admitted that he was at fault. Why bother asking again?
Old 15 May 2008, 21:18 (Ref:2203472)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I'm quoting you Adam, just to make sure the next readers don't miss it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Old 15 May 2008, 21:21 (Ref:2203475)   #16
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!Teretonga is going for a new world record!
I am surprised that he was sensitive to the issue, taken aback by the question.

I would have thought he would have resolved the matter in his mind by now but it seems that is not the case.
It was a needless question but his response surprises me.
Old 15 May 2008, 22:17 (Ref:2203522)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It depends on the moment, the place... the circunstances. If you are in Canada, being interviewed by a canadian, who brings up an issue you had with a canadian, how would one react ??
Old 15 May 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2203531)   #18
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
It depends on the moment, the place... the circunstances. If you are in Canada, being interviewed by a canadian, who brings up an issue you had with a canadian, how would one react ??
I'd stand up and perform a rousing rendition of Blame Canada, from the South Park movie.
Old 16 May 2008, 00:24 (Ref:2203600)   #19
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The question is complete crap I think...
Old 16 May 2008, 07:31 (Ref:2203716)   #20
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAC

.....must have been a momentary lap of reason

Not taking the Mickey NAC, but that's a wonderful pun..........
Old 16 May 2008, 12:32 (Ref:2203957)   #21
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I beg to differ with many of the comments pillorying the journalist for asking the question of That German Fellow.

The event in question was a pivotal moment in Schumacher's career, saying as much about his character as the obvious regard with which he was held and continues to be held by his teammates. He is a complex and interesting man-flaws and genius and generosity and arrogance all in one.

He is, quite simply, human.

History can always be rewritten and will continue to be for all time. At a remove of more that ten years from the event in question; no longer being an active participant in the sport; and having in his recent retirement, time to reflect upon his careeer AND his persona, it is a legitimate question for Schumacher and will continue to be for the rest of his life.

He has apologised for the action and was punished, but has never explained what he felt, what he was thinking what his perception of the incident was.

To declare that that it is "water under the bridge" and not worthy of resurection is not a particularly rigorous positon to take. If we were collectively to believe this, historians would be out of work, for there would be no need to examine our pasts.

"Truth" can always be reexamined, we should not avoid it because it raises unpleasent memories or because we have already made up our minds based upon partial truths.
Old 16 May 2008, 12:37 (Ref:2203960)   #22
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Do you think the question was posed for those admittedly honourable reasons?
Old 16 May 2008, 12:51 (Ref:2203976)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Perhaps I am naive enough to believe that journalists dig to get closer to the truth, not for the sole purpose of rankling the subjects of their interviews.
Old 16 May 2008, 13:16 (Ref:2203995)   #24
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Ah well, I guess it's as well to aspire to the former - although you'll gather I'm far from convinced in this instance!
Old 16 May 2008, 14:00 (Ref:2204033)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
Point taken.