Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 10 May 2008, 07:46 (Ref:2198038)   #1
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Simon McNamaras egg farm.
billy bigtime has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Skaife blasts critics!

Yep, he's spat the dummy again.

http://www.v8supercar.com.au/content...lasts_critics/
Old 10 May 2008, 07:49 (Ref:2198039)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he has said it before and..... i'm not rubbishing him i like the bloke and still think he is better then a fair few of the blokes out there he still has the speed but not the consistancy, if i were HRT i would keep him unless Holdsworth was availible i wouldn't dump him for JC.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:09 (Ref:2198051)   #3
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
Canberra
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I think he has a point. He had some tyre life issues today in race one but still pulled away from garth.

He makes valid points in his article. And I thought his comment post race today was rather apt - the people making the criticisms only watch the races they want to watch, rather than all of them.

This really is a case of tall poppy syndrome - the people who are constantly critical of him must sucumb to jealousy rather easily. Build a bridge guys...
Old 10 May 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2198053)   #4
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by F J Nedos
Well I think he has a point. He had some tyre life issues today in race one but still pulled away from garth.

He makes valid points in his article. And I thought his comment post race today was rather apt - the people making the criticisms only watch the races they want to watch, rather than all of them.

This really is a case of tall poppy syndrome - the people who are constantly critical of him must sucumb to jealousy rather easily. Build a bridge guys...
Rubbish, he hasn't been a tall poppy for over 5 years.
Old 10 May 2008, 08:12 (Ref:2198054)   #5
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The article is a pretty accurate analysis of the start of his season. Good on you Skaifey for having your say.

Good solid drive today as well, hopefully some consistency tomorrow will see some sort of result for the weekend.
Old 10 May 2008, 09:33 (Ref:2198096)   #6
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Skaife may have 2nd place today, but realistically does anyone here really believe that he has anywhere near Tander's ability these days?
Old 10 May 2008, 09:35 (Ref:2198098)   #7
R4z3rw33n
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane.
R4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR4z3rw33n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
Rubbish, he hasn't been a tall poppy for over 5 years.
When looking at his results for the past 5 years, I think it's fair to say that while he hasn't finished first, his results haven't exactly been terrible:
- 2003: 3rd
- 2004:12th
- 2005:5th
- 2006:16th
- 2007:8th
When you take into consideration the fact that he is competing with drivers such as Winterbottom, Whincup, Tander, R.Kelly, T.Kelly, Holdsworth, S. Richards, Davison, Mcconville, Lowndes, Courtney, and Van Gisbergen, he is doing fairly well for himself.
Hell, the guy came out today and finished second at Barbagallo.

I fail to understand why you must continue your attacks on what is quite obviously a phenomenal driver.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2198137)   #8
6.213km
Veteran

6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid6.213km should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
Skaife may have 2nd place today, but realistically does anyone here really believe that he has anywhere near Tander's ability these days?
I think all things being equal, and a bit of luck going his way instead of against him, he's not that far off Tander. He drove away from him today because he was on his game, and his car settings were better then what Tander came up with.

They call it champions luck - when it's going with you you can do no wrong, when its not going with you then bad luck. I think its absolutely laughable the way he gets knocked - particularly when those knocking him chose to look at races that support their arguement only and fail to acknowledge that his lack of results so far this year have not entirely been the fault of the driver. Classic example above "he may have had 2nd place today" .. well he did get second today, and he finished ahead of Tander who is on top of his game. Well done Mark, 27 other blokes finished behind you... past it they say... what a load of crap.
Old 10 May 2008, 10:57 (Ref:2198149)   #9
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Classic example above "he may have had 2nd place today" .. well he did get second today, and he finished ahead of Tander who is on top of his game. Well done Mark, 27 other blokes finished behind you... past it they say... what a load of crap.
We'll just have to wait and see......the jury is still out on this one.
Old 10 May 2008, 11:03 (Ref:2198153)   #10
6.213km
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport
We'll just have to wait and see......the jury is still out on this one.
.... beyond reasonable doubt - Skaife can beat tander on his day. It was called today.
Old 10 May 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2198154)   #11
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Rombles1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4z3rw33n
....I fail to understand why you must continue your attacks on what is quite obviously a phenomenal driver.
I fail to understand why we are still surprised that it was Billy that brought this up. I was more surprised that Skaifey didn't name him as one of those who only watch the races they want to watch, in the post-race interview today. The Earth is flat. Race 1 at Barbagallo this year didn't happen.

Good drive today by both Marks.
Old 10 May 2008, 11:10 (Ref:2198155)   #12
6.213km
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
I fail to understand why we are still surprised that it was Billy that brought this up. I was more surprised that Skaifey didn't name him as one of those who only watch the races they want to watch, in the post-race interview today. The Earth is flat. Race 1 at Barbagallo this year didn't happen.

Good drive today by both Marks.
Who's Billy????

Did he finish ahead of Skaifey today ? I must of missed something.....
Old 10 May 2008, 11:20 (Ref:2198157)   #13
doug05
Rookie

Australia
Brisbane
doug05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good on ya Skaifey, good to see you have a trouble free run and show all the 'experts' that you can still mix it with the best! Looking forward to hopefully seeing more of that tomorrow, and the rest of the year. Only trouble is I guess all the naysayers and poo pooers will be waiting to climb all over you next time things dont go to plan
Old 10 May 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2198158)   #14
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.213km
Who's Billy????

Did he finish ahead of Skaifey today ? I must of missed something.....
Nah, I think he was at a horse-race, but his mount had to be destroyed. With a whip.
Old 10 May 2008, 12:03 (Ref:2198178)   #15
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
I was at a horse race and unlike Skaife, my horse won
Old 10 May 2008, 12:18 (Ref:2198188)   #16
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I didnt think one race represented a form reversal... I thought the two Toll cars took risks at the start that if say Mr Kelly was in the 2nd seat, that he may have deferred to his team leader, without the risks involved...

It would be great for Mr Skaife to resume his position at the head of the WP totem pole... and show up those in the same equipment... somewhere this will happen... and it will be a domination weekend.. as has been shown in the past... If Mr Skaife shares the #2 VE with Mr Seton... let us hope that it happens at the Bathurst event.....
Old 10 May 2008, 12:55 (Ref:2198225)   #17
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
One race should be enough to show that he is still a good driver.... and if it isn't, how many good results DOES he need to prove that?

I agree he has a way to go before you could say that once again he was the best driver on the track, but I didn't know he needed to be?

What is the point being debated? Is Mark Skaife the best driver ever? Was Mark Skaife once the best driver in the series? Is Mark Skaife the best driver at the moment? Is Mark Skaife going to win another Championship? Is Mark Skaife still good enough to drive V8Supercars? Is Mark Skaife overrated? Is Mark Skaife derided too much? Is Mark Skaife "past it"? (past WHAT?) Should Mark Skaife retire? Is Mark Skaife controversial? Is Mark Skaife good for V8Supercars? These questions can have a lot of different answers.... some are yes, some are no, some are maybe, some are sometimes. Will we get agreement here on any or all of them? Some? Maybe. All? Definately not.

Did Mark Skaife drive well today? Yes. Will that be enough for some people? No. Will Mark Skaife win the championship this year? Probably not. Is it a good start for the rest of the year? Yes
Old 10 May 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2198235)   #18
STEALTHY
Veteran

Australia
SA - The Custom Plate State
STEALTHY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rombles1
One race should be enough to show that he is still a good driver.... and if it isn't, how many good results DOES he need to prove that?
I'm sure even if he won this years championship, plus 5 more, Billy would still rate him lower than Rodney forbes.
Old 10 May 2008, 13:14 (Ref:2198240)   #19
Rombles1
Veteran

Australia
Facebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by billy bigtime
I was at a horse race and unlike Skaife, my horse won
Was that on the Carousel at Melbourne Zoo?
Old 10 May 2008, 13:44 (Ref:2198255)   #20
billy bigtime
Veteran

Australia
I don't see why the "HRT Precious" are getting so worked up about this. All I did was provide a link to a PR story that came about from Mark Skaife arranging to have Brad and Neil ask him some questions on the Panelbeaters show. Seems to me that Mark has brought all of this on himself, again
Old 10 May 2008, 13:51 (Ref:2198260)   #21
Senna05
Veteran

Australia
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Senna05 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyXyp...eature=related

Zanardi on Schumi and retirement - listen to where he says that if a 7 time champion loses a race, he is bagged, and a rookie wins one race, he's the next big thing.

Ringing some bells?

Does this mean Alonso should retire? Get out of town.

Oh my, Tander retired from Adelaide - he better get his super in line...

gosh....some people!
Old 10 May 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2198459)   #22
Gaz170
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast, QLD
Gaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGaz170 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm a Form fan- I still consider Mark Skaife a danger man for Holden.
Seems lately it's been more to do with bad luck than ability, when things go his way he can show he is still capable of running at the front.

He hasn't quite had the results lately to match earlier in his career, but I think that's a lot to do with the other teams catching up in terms of equipment. But he still can match it with them, and talk of retirement is very premature.
Old 10 May 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2198515)   #23
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The other teams dont have to catch up with equipment when Mr Walkinshaw is selling it to every man and his dog with a chequebook....
Old 11 May 2008, 01:12 (Ref:2198557)   #24
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think some of the criticism is fair, I mean there was a period there where he was hitting everyone around him and he got bagged for it then, but mostly he has been a consistent and fast driver. He's not the best driver out there IMO, but still quite good. Suggesting the Crasher Courtney could replace him is laughable.
Old 11 May 2008, 01:54 (Ref:2198564)   #25
billybanana
Veteran

billybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbillybanana should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The sooner Skaife retires, the sooner Mr Billy Smalltime can go and crawl back under the rock form where he came.