Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > My Track Designs

Old 18 May 2008, 21:34 (Ref:2205900)   #1
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest, Hungary, Europe
bio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A challenge: create your true "National Circuit"!

The task is easy:

take the contour of your homeland and design a GP-circuit based on that!

You don't have to be VERY precise of course, but the result should resemble your own country as much as you think a good circuit can.

If you live abroad - or for any other reasons "homeland" is not neccessarily one country for you - you might use either country of course.

If your country features more seperate regions (like the USA with Hawaii and Alaska, for example, or Britain with Northern Ireland) or has some islands attached (like Scotland, for example) you might want to use the mainland only.

I'll come with my own entry in a short while for an example.

bio

Last edited by bio; 18 May 2008 at 21:40.
Old 18 May 2008, 21:44 (Ref:2205913)   #2
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, if your country does not have a straight border section long enough to be an S/F straight you can neglect the borderline for that reason.

bio
Old 18 May 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2205957)   #3
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Now that's what I mean:

The map of Hungary:
Click image for larger version

Name:	base.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	577.4 KB
ID:	19590

The "national Circuit":
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hungary.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	203.8 KB
ID:	19591

With a trackwidth of 20 meters the track is 4.019 km (2.51 miles) long and it runs clockwise.
Old 19 May 2008, 01:27 (Ref:2206056)   #4
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Geraldton, W.A. or Beached is bro!
TilkeWannabe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
*****Wannabe here,

Can I do a track based on the shape of Western Australia? It's not a country but if I really tried, I bet ya it woud be good. I'll also do one of Oz.
Old 19 May 2008, 11:51 (Ref:2206372)   #5
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Given that most Australian states are the size of some not-so small countries I'm sure that would be ok, to go along with one of the whole of Aus.
Old 19 May 2008, 13:29 (Ref:2206458)   #6
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yes, of course. Take the requirement as freely as you wish.

And, besides, WA gives you an excwellent S/F straight

bio
Old 19 May 2008, 16:06 (Ref:2206575)   #7
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Just a very quick one...I'll do something properly when I have more time
Attached Thumbnails
Scotland outline.jpg  
Old 19 May 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2206576)   #8
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
heres my first attempt at a track so its not great but

its based on England

Old 19 May 2008, 16:42 (Ref:2206606)   #9
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Unlike SBF and mattt, i've done a country not a part thereof . Here's my UK circuit.

Apologies to Northern Ireland for non-inclusion, it would have totally broken the track up.

BTW, the whole section from Cornwall to Scotland is going downwards. Like the first bit at Suzuka.

Unusually for me runs clockwise, pits on start straight.

If you are interested, I got the map from the CIA World Factbook.
Attached Thumbnails
GB Circuit.PNG  
Old 19 May 2008, 19:37 (Ref:2206715)   #10
Flaming_Wuzzle
Racer

United States
a house
Flaming_Wuzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Given that the state I live in is big enough to be its own country (and was, in fact, one before it became a state...maybe I'll do the outline of that as a follow-up), I've done a circuit for Texas.

For reference, here's a map:

And now the track:

The short circuit follows the borders of the state. The GP circuit extension was based on interstates and highways running through Texas.

Starting on the pit straight on a slight incline, we reach the first two corners, Pan and Handle, going downhill into Wichita, which almost seems Corkscrew-like. The downhill trend continues along the straight, into Texarkana and the Beaumont Sweep. The track finally levels out for a bit for a short straight and Corpus Corner, a fast left-hander leading into Brownsville.

Going back uphill, the track makes small rises and dips through the multi-apex complex known as San-Laredo. The following straight goes back downhill into Houston, then back up for Dallas. Now we reach the longest straight of the circuit, the I-20, on a fairly steep incline, cresting just before a quick right-hander into the slowest corner, El Paso. The final corner is a slightly downhill, medium-speed corner which may be crucial to get right to make any passes into the first corner.
Old 19 May 2008, 19:43 (Ref:2206724)   #11
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, an almost complete tour of Britain

Thx all three.

SBF, I've been tjhinking where i'd put the S/F straight for a Scotnad circuit, but i have to admit your solution is much better than my idea I really like the section after the S/F straight ( from the pitlane I assume the track goes anti)

Mattt, one of my favourite track-design concept: a basically simple layout with one or two really hard spots! I imagine a really thick gravel trap after T1

duke_toaster, especially that descending part is great... And the rest also

bio
Old 19 May 2008, 21:00 (Ref:2206797)   #12
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Unlike SBF and mattt, i've done a country not a part thereof . Here's my UK circuit.

Apologies to Northern Ireland for non-inclusion, it would have totally broken the track up.
[pedantic moment] What you've done duke is a circuit of Great Britain (the Island). Hence the term "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is used by many sports.
Scotland and England are both most assuredly separate Countries
[/pedantic moment]

Bio yes, the Scotland circuit is indeed Anti-clockwise

Last edited by ScotsBrutesFan; 19 May 2008 at 21:02.
Old 19 May 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2206861)   #13
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Wow, Flaming Wuzzle, seems like you submitted your Texas Circuit while I was working on my comment so I failed to see yours there.

And what a miss... The GP circuit is a design I wouldn't suspect it was a theme-based one. Looks just great. Together with the altitude changes involved it's just one great track. I love how those curly parts give it an atmosphere of an old classic venue.

Great job.

Boys, all credit to you. I was afraid this one would become a chgallenge that yields no designs, but how wrong Iwas ! Just for the first day you came up with four great tracks!

bio
Old 20 May 2008, 02:21 (Ref:2206969)   #14
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotsBrutesFan
[pedantic moment] What you've done duke is a circuit of Great Britain (the Island). Hence the term "Great Britain and Northern Ireland" is used by many sports.
Scotland and England are both most assuredly separate Countries
[/pedantic moment]

Bio yes, the Scotland circuit is indeed Anti-clockwise
Well, the exact status of England, Scotland , Wales etc is debateable. In the World Cup they are separate. In the EU, UN & the Olympics they are all separate parts of the same country. I suppose that means that we're fairly free to choose which version we want to base our tracks upon.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion
Old 20 May 2008, 05:46 (Ref:2207003)   #15
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Bio

More tracks to come. Myself and "Sister Squiggle" have each designed a track for both Australia and Western Australia. But will have to wait til Saturday for uploading. Sorry about the delay.
Old 20 May 2008, 09:43 (Ref:2207140)   #16
bio
Veteran

Hungary
OK, no hurries, no worries

bio
Old 20 May 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2207855)   #17
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Old 21 May 2008, 02:37 (Ref:2207937)   #18
LuiggiSpeed
Veteran

United States
LuiggiSpeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
can't find the "edit" button sorry so I fix the pit entrance, put it in the outside of the thurn rather than on the inside, ups!
Old 21 May 2008, 15:27 (Ref:2208371)   #19
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
As promised here's a fuller version of Scotland, which if you haven't guessed is the "Scots" part of ScotsBrutesFan

I had intended for this to be a club circuit but as it turrns out, it's a just on 3 miles in length (4.8km), though the track as drawn is only 15m wide.

3 views, Vertical, a View from the south, and a close up of the Northern section and pitlane.

Oh and just imagine the gravel traps, we all know where they will be
Attached Thumbnails
Scot top.jpg   Scot1.jpg   Scot North.jpg  

Old 21 May 2008, 15:31 (Ref:2208377)   #20
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
Luiggi, Nice effort there with Puerto Rico.

I'm pleased that you changed the pit entry, but the pit exit probably needs a little work depending on what runs on the circuit. Unfortunately there isn't really an easy solution.

Oh and the edit option is only available for 10 minutes, which is why you couldn't find it.
Old 21 May 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2208686)   #21
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Yeah, I would probably put the pitlane and the paddocks on the outside (which move would put it in the ocean, but who cares?

Anyway, it's another good effort - together with that Scotland circuit which looked great on the original sketch - now it looks even better

bio
Old 24 May 2008, 04:35 (Ref:2210168)   #22
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Here's mt sister's attempt on Western Australia. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0001.jpg  
Old 24 May 2008, 07:59 (Ref:2210205)   #23
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Here's my attempt at Western Australia

Hope you like it!

Do you like it better than sister squiggles version?
Attached Thumbnails
Track 13.jpg  
Old 24 May 2008, 08:29 (Ref:2210217)   #24
TilkeWannabe
Veteran

Australia
Also, Sister Squiggle's version of Australia. BTW, TW didn't say which do you think is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Aussie.jpg  

Last edited by TilkeWannabe; 24 May 2008 at 08:32.
Old 24 May 2008, 09:38 (Ref:2210261)   #25
bio
Veteran

Hungary
Well, as for WA, I'd probably make a hybrid out of the two: I'd take the southern/eastern/northern side of sis's and the western side of yours - that would be near perfect I think