Old 2 Jun 2008, 16:07 (Ref:2217903)   #1
treaclesponge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swanley, UK
treaclesponge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie looking for guidance

Hi All

Im looking to get into the marshalling scene and have diverted here by AR-CoolC (cheers!) and wondered if anyone can let me know what to expect, what stuff I need to do and who I need to contact to get the ball rolling etc. Im based in Swanley near Dartford so Brands is my nearest and easiest track if that helps.

Cheers

treaclesponge (Richard)
Old 2 Jun 2008, 16:22 (Ref:2217922)   #2
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Richard. Here's a link to a thread covering most aspects of marshalling-for-the-newbie but don't feel afraid to ask anything that isn't covered in it. Most of us can still remember starting this wonderful hobby and realise just how daunting it can all seem to be. It's not, it's MUCH worse!!

Just remember: Have Fun, Stay Safe and keep asking questions. Even some of us "old-stagers" don't know all the answers.

New Marshals Thread
Old 3 Jun 2008, 09:25 (Ref:2218466)   #3
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
welcome fellow local
you have PM
Old 3 Jun 2008, 09:47 (Ref:2218485)   #4
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
TFHarv should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have found that joining BMMC has made marshal life somewhat easier to learn and get involved with. http://www.marshals.co.uk/

But the link to the other post is a good read and will answer lots of questions (and probably start a few more too )
Old 3 Jun 2008, 10:09 (Ref:2218509)   #5
treaclesponge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swanley, UK
Thanks TFHarv, I have emailed the BMMC to find out what i need to do next!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 11:05 (Ref:2218562)   #6
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome Richard - you've got off to a great start by coming onto here and asking questions!

Firstly, keep yourself safe - seems obvious, but the adrenaline buzz of your first incident can lead you astray. A set of Probans don’t include a force-field or guardian angel – you’re flesh & bones versus hard & hot machinery.

I'm still pretty new and clambering up the greasy pole called grading - hopefully some of the things I mention below will help you cut your teeth, or at least do a bit of thinking before you get to the circuit.

Decide whether you want to scatter across a variety of circuits for your first few meetings, or whether you want to spend the first few with the same track & probably same regular people - first timers get a good welcome, but they seem to get an even better welcome back if you show up again the next week.

Get there towards the start of sign-on - there is more time to introduce yourself to the Chief Marshal, and for him to steer you towards one of his friendliest folk to give you a bit of a background to the circuit and what happens at incidents in particular spots.

Maybe don't rush out and buy all your kit immediately - take a couple of meetings to see what others have and decide if it's what you like or not. For example, carry kit in a fisherman's box / rucksack / shopping trolley / sports bag / carrier bag etc.

Do make sure that you have some basic personal protection stuff to start with though - strong / waterproof boots and good socks are a great start, plus a good warm or sun hat. Fill in the gaps with warm / waterproof legs and tops as you have to hand, but avoid flag colours like the bright yellow jacket you already have in the car boot? Think about a change of clothes for the trip home – soaking wet or covered in muck isn’t good!

Food & drink - every circuit and each club will tend to do things differently, so if in doubt pack all you need and take home the surplus. Lots to drink (hot and cold) is great, but always remember that you need to get rid of it too. One early tip I was given is to freeze bottles of water and they will slowly thaw through the day and stay nice and cool. Little snacks & nibbles all day suit me well & fit in your pocket.

See if you can scrounge a spare record card before / at your first event – you should be able to start collecting attendance signatures whilst your BMMC / MSA trainee registration starts to flow along.

Whichever post / duty you end up on, do plenty of looking and listening. I reckon that I learnt as much from seeing what people didn’t do, as from seeing what they did – especially if I asked them afterwards to talk me through it.

Finally, remember at going home time that you’ve been out for a long tiring day and your brain + body will not be working at their best – make it a safe drive home.

Still have to do an event at Brands, so be gentle with me if I end up on the same post as you - my turn to ask questions!

Enjoy, David
Old 3 Jun 2008, 11:22 (Ref:2218579)   #7
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to barge in on this 'ere thread.

I've done a few days Kart Marshalling for Hoddeasdon Kart Club, but i haven't had my number and all that.

When i get all the stuff from the BMMC back, will I be able to be "credited" with the previous experience, which was basically flagging and observing? (often at the same time!)
Forgot to mention, i don't have anything at all like an experience card.

I've done about 5 or 6 days worth.

Thanks,
Richard. (Yes another one!)

Last edited by Rockmunky; 3 Jun 2008 at 11:24.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 11:32 (Ref:2218595)   #8
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll leave that to one of our grading experts to advise you.

I'm still getting over my recent discovery that rallycross attendances don't count towards any grading at all, never mind - getting upgrades is not a race
Old 3 Jun 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2218606)   #9
Guinness2702
Veteran

United Kingdom
Cambridge
Guinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGuinness2702 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by treaclesponge
and who I need to contact to get the ball rolling etc.
I only started a month ago, myself.
I found that the following was the best place to start for me:-

http://www.marshals.co.uk/files/TheFirstCallToMake.pdf

See you on the bank
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:06 (Ref:2218641)   #10
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
When i get all the stuff from the BMMC back, will I be able to be "credited" with the previous experience, which was basically flagging and observing? (often at the same time!)
Forgot to mention, i don't have anything at all like an experience card.

I've done about 5 or 6 days worth.
There's a long and complicated answer to all of this, because the kart grading scheme is changing from the BMMC one to a standard MSA one.

First thing to note - your kart grading is different from your circuit grading (and also rallying and speed events).

As you've only done 6 days, I doubt that's enough experience to be 'credited'. And, with the grading scheme in a bit of limbo, I'd recommend waiting anyway.

However, once you get an appropriate grading/record card, it is worth asking your Chief Marshal if (s)he will backdate 1 or 2 signatures for you. Providing that they remember you and are happy you were competent in your role, then they might take pity on you
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:07 (Ref:2218644)   #11
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Richard,
There's a good 2 day meeting at Brands at the end of the month (30th June/1 July) to get you started, HSCC Superprix, and it's on the full circuit.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:10 (Ref:2218648)   #12
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oh gawd, s'all a bit complicated, this!

Thanks anyway.

I've just noticed theres a BMMC form and an MSA form for registration.. do I need to do one or both?
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:17 (Ref:2218657)   #13
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah you need to fill in both
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2218663)   #14
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Cheers.
More questions (sorry)

For section 3 of the MSA form, there's lots of ticking boxes.

Do i tick trainee marshal for both Race and Kart?
Or can i only do one at a time?
Old 3 Jun 2008, 12:27 (Ref:2218669)   #15
treaclesponge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swanley, UK
Thanks Guys, you have all been more than helpful. I think Ill be best off sticking to one circuit, at least to start with, find my feet and all that. I have now emailed BMCC and Gerry (as per Guinness2702's post) so hopefully will be joining some of you on the banks soon!

Richard
Old 3 Jun 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2218884)   #16
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmunky
Do i tick trainee marshal for both Race and Kart?
Or can i only do one at a time?
Do both if you want!

However, you might be best waiting until your BMMC membership gets back. It will them make it easier to send onto the MSA. After all, there's no rush about grading - providing you're enjoying yourself!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 16:55 (Ref:2218901)   #17
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
One thing I would recommend is trying to get hold of a record card. You dont need your MSA number to collect signatures for attendance but you do need a record book. If you have a definate choice lined up for a meeting you want to do then ask on here if anyone has a spare you can have ( some have a few kicking around ) or if your BMMC stuff is through phone/email your region to get one posted through to you.

As said though there is no immediate rush, as to get your upgrade you need to undertake a training day which, unless your lucky enough to get on a mid-season one, only take place at the beginning of each year.

If your only doing Brands Hatch may I also point you in the direction of http://www.marshals.org.uk/MSVRform.htm the volunteering form for that circuit. Also check out the marshal passlink on that page too.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 17:53 (Ref:2218939)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv
if your only doing Brands Hatch may I also point you in the direction of http://www.marshals.org.uk/MSVRform.htm the volunteering form for that circuit.
The MSVR form relates only to events at Brands for which MSVR are the organising club. I believe that the 750MC, MG Car Club, Historic Sports Car Club, BRSCC, BARC and SEMSEC all have meetings at Brands over the remainder of the season. The marshals.org.uk homepage has links to most of these clubs, which will aid volunteering.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 18:23 (Ref:2218957)   #19
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by treaclesponge
Thanks Guys, you have all been more than helpful. I think Ill be best off sticking to one circuit, at least to start with, find my feet and all that. I have now emailed BMCC and Gerry (as per Guinness2702's post) so hopefully will be joining some of you on the banks soon!

Richard
Richard,I know your based down there in Kent, but I would recommend that you try to get to other circuits. Basically they all work the same, but some operate slightly differently. You have Lydden not far from you, and if your prepared to travel Snetterton and Silverstone are about 90 mins run from there, as is Thruxton.
Old 3 Jun 2008, 18:36 (Ref:2218964)   #20
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First thing to buy is a pair of waterproofs and pair of gloves, This is England!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 18:51 (Ref:2218983)   #21
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFHarv
One thing I would recommend is trying to get hold of a record card. You dont need your MSA number to collect signatures for attendance but you do need a record book.
Technically a record card is only valid with a registration card, bearing the marshal's photo & signature, attached. Of course, some Post Chiefs may turn a blind eye to that requirement...or even not be aware of it!
Old 3 Jun 2008, 18:56 (Ref:2218991)   #22
TFHarv
Racer

United Kingdom
Sheffield
Well the speed i got my MSA card ment that the first few meetings I attended and the training days were without my MSA number/sheet but having filled in the record card I got the siggys and attached my card when it came through the post.

Also your membership badge does not normally have your msa number on it when you first apply as they only started issuing trainees with numbers this year when we were added to the database.
Old 5 Jun 2008, 08:39 (Ref:2220289)   #23
AR-CoolC
Racer

United Kingdom
Lincoln
AR-CoolC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hello treacle, glad you popped over here to ask about.

All being well I'll see you on the bank at some time in the future (I hope to do at least 1 Brands meeting next season)
Old 5 Jun 2008, 10:42 (Ref:2220354)   #24
marshal_man
Racer

United Kingdom
Taunton, Somerset
marshal_man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes very true Lee, always go prepared for wet weather, every BTCC round this year has rained at some point, the worst being Rockingham i think dont you Chris A??

Most of us have boxes that you will see us taking to post, just take some food to keep you going because at some posts at some circuits you cant get back to get anything.
Old 5 Jun 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2220457)   #25
treaclesponge
Rookie

United Kingdom
Swanley, UK

Hey Guys, thanks so much for the advice, its really helpful. I got an email from Mildred the other day with the upcoming dates so Ill let her know which I can make. Stephen Green suggested that I attend a 'taster' day to make sure I know what I'l be letting myself in for!! So far I have a waterproof jacket (in black, this ok?) bag with plenty of food ready to go in and a large bottle of water. Dont own any waterproof bottoms but hoping that I wont need them just yet. Also got sturdy boots, woolly gloves, baseball hat for the sun. I dont have a woolly hat but again, something ill get if I join up. Anything else that I have missed out?

Hoping to attend Brands sometime in the next couple of weekends - 14/15, 21/22 or 28/29, will any of you be there?! Be nice to put some names to faces.