Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 30 Jul 2008, 23:43 (Ref:2260622)   #1
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No Gold Coast Indy for 2009???

The calendar for the 2009 Indy Racing League has been released this morning and surprise surprise no Australian race in 2009.
An IRL spokesperson said that the door was still open but the IRL planned dates of Sept 27 or Oct 4 are clearly both out of the question as far as the V8 Supercars are concerned.
Looks like if you want to see the Indy cars in action down under you'd better get along this year.
Also without the "problems" of IRL the V8's and the organisers will now be free to move the race pretty much anywhere they see fit.
So what do think. Leave it where it is so close to Bathurst and the MotoGP or move it later to say early to Mid November.
If Sydney doesn't fly then I couldn't think of a better place for the final race on VESA's home circuit.

Last edited by inpitlane; 30 Jul 2008 at 23:44. Reason: Typo
Old 31 Jul 2008, 00:45 (Ref:2260635)   #2
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have just spoken to GC Indy management...I will have a like hopefully soon...
Old 31 Jul 2008, 02:02 (Ref:2260656)   #3
Sultan
Veteran

Australia
Brisvegas, Australia
Sultan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It'll be very sad to see them go...
Old 31 Jul 2008, 03:30 (Ref:2260682)   #4
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sad to see the event go as it is definatly a great "party" but not surprising in the least considering they would come all this way for an exhibition race.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 04:21 (Ref:2260689)   #5
RotorFan
Veteran

Australia
Sydney
RotorFan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has Tony George been to the Gold Coast event before? Maybe he'll change his mind after attending this year?

Fabrizio Giovanardi: I have like a banana - is the yellow car in front - that make me, you know, running like the monkey, running for the banana. When I see yellow in front, I just pushing harder and harder. I want that banana.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 04:34 (Ref:2260693)   #6
xrystl
Racer

Pitcairn Islands
gold coast
xrystl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good riddance , have two races in Townsville and leave us on the Gold Coast in peace
Old 31 Jul 2008, 04:56 (Ref:2260701)   #7
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The irl has said they have left the door open for 2009 if they want to deal on dates, but I suspect A1GP will slide right in there and take it. It's a logical fit and I'm sure A1 would grab the opportunity. And that would be fine by me.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 05:34 (Ref:2260713)   #8
inpitlane
Veteran

inpitlane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainstar
The irl has said they have left the door open for 2009 if they want to deal on dates, but I suspect A1GP will slide right in there and take it. It's a logical fit and I'm sure A1 would grab the opportunity. And that would be fine by me.
Not a bad idea, but in light of the bitterness between Tony Cochrane and the A1GP people I would imagine he'd be far from impressed by the idea. But if it happened I'd be more likely to go.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2260720)   #9
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by inpitlane
Not a bad idea, but in light of the bitterness between Tony Cochrane and the A1GP people I would imagine he'd be far from impressed by the idea. But if it happened I'd be more likely to go.
What's the deal there?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:33 (Ref:2260732)   #10
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can you still call the event "Indy-time" if the A1GP replace them?

Would the V8Supercar group draw the same crowd without the OWRS cars in attendance? Or is Bernie going to take his show north?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:45 (Ref:2260771)   #11
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
cptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcptkablamo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry folks...got massively caught up with other things...story is with the editor... but it did basically say that GC and Indy do intend on fulfilling the contract and will discuss more hopefully to announce or agree in Oct at Indy...will post link when available....

But beyond A1GP...What about the slated Asian Le Mans Series...that could be more fun then A1GP and something new for the Australian market

And I have heard that A1 and TC are not friends, although I never bothered to find out why
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:50 (Ref:2260779)   #12
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
would it still be the "party" that it is if A1 was there and not IRL/Champcars?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 07:57 (Ref:2260785)   #13
Waimate1
Rookie

Australia
North of the Black Stump
Waimate1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely not, if you have ever wandered down pitlane at GC Indy those guys are so frienndly and happy to chat in comparison to the Fi & A1 toffee noses that it would totally ruin the Atmosphere which so much part of Indy.
This way TC can be the headline act with his SuperCabs and bring along a open wheel class that won't upstage him "FF", I can see a light!!!!!!
Old 31 Jul 2008, 11:21 (Ref:2260881)   #14
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the question is would the Qld government tip in a shedload of money if the Indycars didn't turn up?

I always thought the theory was the perceived "international exposure" that justified the expense. Could A1 or ALMS con(vince) them that they would do?

Last edited by Rick; 31 Jul 2008 at 11:24.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 12:12 (Ref:2260911)   #15
cptkablamo
Veteran

Australia
Asian Le Mans could do the trick - Sportscar guys usually know how to party...Although I was not there apparantly the Race of 1000 Years was a good party...so put that into Indy...

But I reckon A1 would be like a gentleman at a frat party (sorry for the 'Americanism')...

FYI - http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/mod...rder=0&thold=0
Old 31 Jul 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2261251)   #16
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I just read today's Bulliten and they are saying that IRL are having it as tentive. Terry Mackenroth was quoited that they are trying to smuse Tony George and show them what the Gold Coast can do.....

This was on the Gold Coast Bulliten Site, I'll update it when there is more

"AFTER months of speculation, the Gold Coast Indy will take place with a full grid of 23 drivers on October 26, even though there will be no championship points up for grabs.
The Surfers Paradise race will be an exhibition event, part of a non-championship International Cup, which includes races in Canada, Japan and Germany.
No contract has been secured for the 2009 event, although Indy bosses are confident next year's event will be part of the championship schedule.
Have your say on the feedback form below
Gold Coast Indy news

A major sponsor is expected to be announced next week.
The V8 Supercars are confirmed for the 2008 event with the teams vying for points series."

So wait for the next installment...
Old 1 Aug 2008, 04:11 (Ref:2261409)   #17
smokinJ
Racer

smokinJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...section=justin
Old 1 Aug 2008, 10:48 (Ref:2261581)   #18
Peter Ford
Racer

Australia
Adelaide, south Australia
Peter Ford should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I csn see next years's event not happening because the irl will want the race to be in march or whatever while the gold coast indy board will want it to be at the end of october.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 12:15 (Ref:2261632)   #19
fomoco
Veteran

Australia
Bris Vages southside
fomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridfomoco should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL would prefer to have Japan and Aus together as a fly away, so it could be back to an earlier date. Will they leave the Gold Caost?, good question, considering some of the main players like it here, and were the ones pushing for unification.

Or it could end like Bernie, pay us a **** load of sheckles and will we come.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 13:49 (Ref:2261684)   #20
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I only caught the end of it but Alan Jones was on ABC news talking up A1 - 3 times the global TV "reach"(never mind who is actually watching!) of Indycars, and pointing out Indycars aren't even shown live in the US.

be surprised if the Qld government would fall for it, but you never know ....
Old 1 Aug 2008, 18:55 (Ref:2261796)   #21
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
To be honest, A1GP seems a good fit for the event. From what I've heard of people attending Brands the series is quite keen on a party atmosphere and with a stated 50/50 aim for street and road circuits it's an obvous choice.

The atmosphere at Surfers' is also undeniably Aussie (the Team Aus got a great reception from what I remember) and the whole nationalistic thing is a big selling point for A1GP. I imagine it will cost a lot less of a sanctioning fee than Champ Car in it's hey-dey (if not more recently). International coverage is definitely wider. Seems very logical to me.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:10 (Ref:2261803)   #22
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Where will Germany be? Lausitzring or a road course? Hockenheim won't have a top line event next year as the German GP alternates.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:25 (Ref:2261813)   #23
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't know, but that's a bit off-topic.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2261831)   #24
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley
To be honest, A1GP seems a good fit for the event. From what I've heard of people attending Brands the series is quite keen on a party atmosphere and with a stated 50/50 aim for street and road circuits it's an obvous choice.

The atmosphere at Surfers' is also undeniably Aussie (the Team Aus got a great reception from what I remember) and the whole nationalistic thing is a big selling point for A1GP. I imagine it will cost a lot less of a sanctioning fee than Champ Car in it's hey-dey (if not more recently). International coverage is definitely wider. Seems very logical to me.
From what I have heard A1 asks now for fees almost 3 times as much as what Champcar wanted. Even if you slide the numbers around the cost will be significant.

kevin kalkoven is saber rattling that if there is no gold coast deal for indycar in 2009 it is likely he'll pull his indycar team out of indycar. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:57 (Ref:2261850)   #25
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well just read that the IRL want these two dates 4th of October or the 27th of September......

Personally I think that the 27th is a better date..... But I'm guessing that TC won't want that because it will interuppt the enduro's.... but do we really need the V8's there? I would love to see the Asian Gt series around the streets of surfers........

Bring on this year.....