Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Aug 2008, 00:12 (Ref:2277817)   #1
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
No more Nurburgring! ?

The FIA are going to discuss whether or not this race will be kept on the calendar.Its motoring club (ADAC) is the one that said it would have nothing to do with the FIA while ever MM was still its President.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/70141
Old 30 Aug 2008, 00:41 (Ref:2277824)   #2
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"the ADAC-controlled Deutscher Motor Sport Bund E.V. (DMSB)"
Interesting wording, and not true. It's controlled by all German auto clubs, so by removing it from it's position and installing the AvD (can they actually do that?), they'd probably change nothing.

Besides, breach of contract with the Nürburgring probably wouldn't go down too well either
Old 30 Aug 2008, 13:05 (Ref:2278061)   #3
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should be interesting to watch...
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:11 (Ref:2278119)   #4
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
"the ADAC-controlled Deutscher Motor Sport Bund E.V. (DMSB)"
Interesting wording, and not true. It's controlled by all German auto clubs, so by removing it from it's position and installing the AvD (can they actually do that?), they'd probably change nothing.

Besides, breach of contract with the Nürburgring probably wouldn't go down too well either
Yes I wondered about the wording too.
Most probably it is referred to Herrmann Tomczyk in his position as the DMSB president and ADAC member.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 15:15 (Ref:2278120)   #5
Helmpflicht99
Rookie

Germany
near Bremen
Helmpflicht99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The ADAC wants Hermann Tomczyk (Father of DTM-Driver Martin Tomczyk) on MM Position. And with the Scandal about MM the ADAC has seen his Chance to put him into this Position.
Old 30 Aug 2008, 22:44 (Ref:2278389)   #6
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy77
Yes I wondered about the wording too.
Most probably it is referred to Herrmann Tomczyk in his position as the DMSB president and ADAC member.
...who has recently stepped down from the DMSB presidency. His successor (Torsten Johne) apparently is an ADAC man too, though.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 11:45 (Ref:2278666)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
What will happen if the Nurburgring gets dropped? Neither it nor Hockenhiem have the funds to stage a F1 race every year, hence the swapping system they have now. Who will Hockenhiem swap with, if anyone? Maybe this could be a way in for Silverstone (I don't think Donny is going to happen) or Mangy Cours.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 15:50 (Ref:2278800)   #8
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In an interview on Five Live, Bernie said that he (words to the effect of) wouldn't touch Silverstone unless they RAF were to level the place and start again.

Other venues for F1 in Germany? Lausitzring would need some work but could be done, as could Ochersleben. There is always the street circuit option, I imagine.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 16:56 (Ref:2278833)   #9
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down F0rce
What will happen if the Nurburgring gets dropped? Neither it nor Hockenhiem have the funds to stage a F1 race every year, hence the swapping system they have now. Who will Hockenhiem swap with, if anyone? Maybe this could be a way in for Silverstone (I don't think Donny is going to happen) or Mangy Cours.
It will go to a far eastern pseudo-democracy with lots of public money to burn and where there will no pesky spectators to worry about as Bernie would have made his money already from the massive sanctioning fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
In an interview on Five Live, Bernie said that he (words to the effect of) wouldn't touch Silverstone unless they RAF were to level the place and start again.
He said that? He clearly has no respect for the history of the sport at all. The sooner that greedy, bitter moron snuffs it the better.

Last edited by johntt; 31 Aug 2008 at 17:00.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 31 Aug 2008, 18:53 (Ref:2278889)   #10
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye
...who has recently stepped down from the DMSB presidency. His successor (Torsten Johne) apparently is an ADAC man too, though.
Oh I haven't heard about that. Well, it does not change too much in the game.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 21:59 (Ref:2279007)   #11
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by johntt
He said that? He clearly has no respect for the history of the sport at all. The sooner that greedy, bitter moron snuffs it the better.
I didn't remember exactly what he said - the "RAF level the place" was my phrasiology, not Bernie's. What he did say was that if Donington were to default on his contract it would mean no British GP.

I apologize profusely for misquoting the poison dwarf, nor not making it clear that I was paraphrasing.
Old 31 Aug 2008, 23:23 (Ref:2279064)   #12
Charlies
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
Charlies should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The RAF can't level Silverstone to the ground; that would be considered Government support, and you can only get that if you're an idiotically expensive opportunity to regenerate East London or the Duke of Sutherland seeking to 'rebalance your assets'.

Although I wouldn't miss the current Nurburgring as a circuit surely the contract is with FOM and if the FIA attempted to strip the ADAC of their sporting powers in order to end a separate commercial contract they'd have some form of legal recourse.

My understanding is that Hockenheim receives local government support, and I honestly can't see why keeping the circuit at F1 standards for a race every two years is more viable than hosting the race each season.

As for the race being replaced by a 'Far Eastern pseudo-democracy', when did Bernie's standards get so high?
Old 1 Sep 2008, 13:19 (Ref:2279377)   #13
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Well looking at a pure racing aspect I don't think we'd miss either Nurby or Hockenheim tracks in their current guise would we, as long as another German race is on the calendar?

Nurby is my personal favourite of the two - I like the way the car hammer into the first left right Esses and then up around the back. I've not been a fan of the current Hockenheim - too short a lap. Even though the old one was boring it had tradition.

As duke toaster mentions Oschesleben is a possibility but please no - far too twisty. A version of Lausitzring could be good though?

I'd go along with the street curcuit argment though, rumours keep popping up about Berlin and all that. Certain people might look at Valencia and later on Singapore and think: 'hang on we could do that here after all.'
Old 1 Sep 2008, 14:11 (Ref:2279409)   #14
Andy77
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Well looking at a pure racing aspect I don't think we'd miss either Nurby or Hockenheim tracks in their current guise would we, as long as another German race is on the calendar?

Nurby is my personal favourite of the two - I like the way the car hammer into the first left right Esses and then up around the back. I've not been a fan of the current Hockenheim - too short a lap. Even though the old one was boring it had tradition.

As duke toaster mentions Oschesleben is a possibility but please no - far too twisty. A version of Lausitzring could be good though?

I'd go along with the street curcuit argment though, rumours keep popping up about Berlin and all that. Certain people might look at Valencia and later on Singapore and think: 'hang on we could do that here after all.'
Well, parts of the (flat) Nordkurve are still there even though it serves as a lorrie parking lot these days
Old 2 Sep 2008, 14:16 (Ref:2280094)   #15
wills
Racer

wills should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Call me crazy but I think running F1 cars on the oval at Lausitzring would be cool. I mean if Bernie and Max are gonna run the sport to the ground then they might as well do a good job at it.

I remember watching some german touring car races on DSF on that street circuit in Berlin and I must say that circuit might actually put a good show. Would be very interesting to see F1 cars take on those nasty chicanes on the backstraight!!
Old 10 Sep 2008, 05:20 (Ref:2286228)   #16
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wills
Call me crazy but I think running F1 cars on the oval at Lausitzring would be cool. I mean if Bernie and Max are gonna run the sport to the ground then they might as well do a good job at it.
All the drivers would complain of it being too 'unsafe.'
Old 10 Sep 2008, 05:28 (Ref:2286229)   #17
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I'd love to see F1 have an oval race in the season. There are always a bunch of reasons given why it would be "impossible", but I don't see why it should be impossible.

It'll likely never happen, but I would love to see it.
Old 10 Sep 2008, 05:55 (Ref:2286235)   #18
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
Oh, it most certainly IS possible.

"We go too fast!" BULL. Indycar goes faster.

"The walls are too close." BULL. I guess Indycar drivers have bigger balls than you do?

"We don't have the correct tires!" Get them made then.

"What if it rains?" Oh well, you wait another day.