Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 28 Aug 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2277040)   #1
gsmith2424
Veteran

United States
Maiden, North Carolina
gsmith2424 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP: Phil Hill

Just saw this online and thought I would pass the word on.

http://jalopnik.com/5043145/phil-hil...end-dead-at-81

http://automotive.speedtv.com/articl...ill-1927-2008/

Last edited by gsmith2424; 28 Aug 2008 at 19:52.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 19:52 (Ref:2277048)   #2
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That is sad to hear. I remember in the past year or two Ferrari invited him to Monza and it was clear he wasn't in the best of health.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2277057)   #3
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sad news. I understand that Phil's sports car achievements at least match his efforts in Formula One, which were slightly flattered by the awesome Sharknose Ferrari and a weak team-mate who died before the end of the season. Still, a great American racer is gone.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:04 (Ref:2277058)   #4
Helmpflicht99
Rookie

Germany
near Bremen
Helmpflicht99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That´s really sad.
R.I.P. Phil Hill
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2277067)   #5
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Saw him drive several times. He tamed the famous Chapparal winged Can Am car at the end of his career. First US World Champion and the only US born one.
RIP
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:13 (Ref:2277068)   #6
Gil Abobeleira
Veteran

Gil Abobeleira should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2277073)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans and F1. Impressive. Those successes came with Ferrari, but he peddled a Jag pretty well too.

His website has a book of rememberance: www.philhill.com
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:37 (Ref:2277083)   #8
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP

Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:40 (Ref:2277085)   #9
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
American racing legend, Phil Hill, dies at 81

Phil Hill, the only American-born driver to win a Formula One title, passed away last night of complications associated with Parkinson's disease at the age of 81. Aside from his success with Ferrari in F1 during the 1961 season, Hill was also the first American to win at the 24 hours of Le Mans, taking the title twice more and winning the 12-hours of Sebring three times.

Described by friends and colleagues as reserved and genteel, Hill was a breath of fresh air in the international racing scene and finally inducted into the International Motorsport Hall of Fame in 1991.

He is survived by his wife Alma, son, two daughters and four grandchildren, all of whom have our heartfelt condolences.

Source: Autoblog

Quite a sad day in the world of motorsports. RIP Phil.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:44 (Ref:2277090)   #10
henk4
Veteran

Netherlands
Rozenburg, Holland
henk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridhenk4 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Le Mans and F1. Impressive. Those successes came with Ferrari, but he peddled a Jag pretty well too.

His website has a book of rememberance: www.philhill.com
Phil also won the best of show award in the Pebble Beach Concours, for which he was the judge with the longest track record of all of them. Last year we saw him doing his thing on the 18th hole, being pushed around in a wheelchair, and this year he was no longer around for obvious reasons. He was also a avid collector and restorer of classic cars and part of his collection was shown two years ago at the special lawn of Pebble Beach.
He will be sadly missed. RIP
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:46 (Ref:2277093)   #11
minimangler
Veteran

Wales
Leftfield, somewhere.
minimangler should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP a motor racing legend.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2277096)   #12
Steve Tarrant
Veteran

England
Poole, UK
Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!Steve Tarrant has a real shot at the podium!
Phil Hill

Just learnt that Phil Hill, the 1961 F1 world champion, has passed away. RIP.

From Autoblog.com:-

Phil Hill, the only American-born driver to win a Formula One title, passed away last night of complications associated with Parkinson's disease at the age of 81. Aside from his success with Ferrari in F1 during the 1961 season, Hill was also the first American to win at the 24 hours of Le Mans, taking the title twice more and winning the 12-hours of Sebring three times.

Described by friends and colleagues as reserved and genteel, Hill was a breath of fresh air in the international racing scene and finally inducted into the International Motorsport Hall of Fame in 1991.

He is survived by his wife Alma, son, two daughters and four grandchildren, all of whom have our heartfelt condolences.

[Source: Autoweek]
Old 28 Aug 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2277104)   #13
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to add my respects at the sad news of Phil Hill's passing. A great driver of both F1 and sports machinery, and a gentleman of great dignity and integrity. Very sad - RIP Phil.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:02 (Ref:2277140)   #14
Sarthe82
Racer

United Kingdom
Surrey
Sarthe82 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP, superb driver and great ambassador for the sport.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:08 (Ref:2277143)   #15
P38 in workshop
Veteran

P38 in workshop has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
RIP a gentleman,a fine driver and a well rounded individual.Luckier than a good number of his contemporaries in that he had a good lifespan to develop a range of interests and enjoy life outside the cockpit.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2277145)   #16
jonbryant
Veteran

England
Horsham, West Sussex
jonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjonbryant should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sad news indeed. A gentleman and a true racer. Rest easy champ.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:20 (Ref:2277148)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, sad news for a world without drivers like him. Go in peace man.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2277151)   #18
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
God Speed Phil! The world has lost a real gentleman.
Old 28 Aug 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2277152)   #19
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
There's a nice tribute on autosport.com here, which has links to two earlier articles about Phil Hill.

Later on I might share a personal memory I have, which goes to show what a kind and considerate man he was, aside from being a fine driver.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:00 (Ref:2277182)   #20
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Very sad.R.I.P.

Maybe Ferrari will find time to mark their cars in respect for him at the next GP.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 00:58 (Ref:2277202)   #21
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember him winning Nurburgring with the Chaparral and winning Brands Hatch with same the next year. Class act and great guy. We will miss him. RIP Phil Hill.

DK
Old 29 Aug 2008, 03:50 (Ref:2277238)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
RIP Phil. One of the crossover drivers from the early front engine F1. Certainly a great ambassador for the sport. My condolences to his family and friends.
Old 29 Aug 2008, 04:54 (Ref:2277253)   #23
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
RIP Phil

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Aug 2008, 07:04 (Ref:2277281)   #24
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Very sad. Another champion leaves us. RIP
Old 29 Aug 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2277324)   #25
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A great motor racing hero.

RIP, Phil