Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Motorsport Art & Photography

Old 13 Dec 2008, 22:37 (Ref:2354420)   #1
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Finding duplicate files?

Hi there guys and gals, thought I'd post this question here as I thought you lot might have been in a similar situation once (although probably not, you're all far more organized than me!!)

my hard drive is dying and so i need to check just what I've saved onto cd and what's left on my hard drive. I could always open two windows and scroll through all 10,000+ images to find out but, let's face it, no-one wants to do that.

so,

do any of you know of a cheap (or free ) piece of software that will allow this novice to check a cd of images against my hard drive so that i will KNOW just what I've saved in the past and what I still need to save?

many thx for any info you may have,

Stuart.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 18:39 (Ref:2375491)   #2
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As I started this thread, it's only right that I answer your very welcome advice............

I found out, by accident and not reading the manual, that ACDSee (my chosen picture viewing software) is actually able to find duplicates, re-name or delete, and generally do everything I had asked for when I started this thread.

thx to all of you for your comments,

cheers,

Stuart.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 05:49 (Ref:2378063)   #3
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
thought I aught to mention to be beware of files with same name...but may which be different photos--because of the starting over of sequencing of file name when your camera reaches a certain point (probably 10000)

just a thought so that you dont let an automated system go through and chuck out things that may not necessarily be the same photo...
Old 24 Jan 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2378137)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Good point, although I suspect that these duplicate file finders do more than that, checking all attributes?
Old 25 Jan 2009, 21:19 (Ref:2379151)   #5
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Why do we have three different apps being "advertised" here all from people who have 1 post?

I say beware of the apps Or am I just being cynical?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 22:03 (Ref:2379185)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Where?

If you come here just to post links to software rather than talk motorsport then don't expect to stay around for long. Some lucky posters here.

Last edited by Adam43; 25 Jan 2009 at 22:15.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 23:45 (Ref:2379252)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
Good point, although I suspect that these duplicate file finders do more than that, checking all attributes?
I would certainly hope so...haven't ever used anything before so have no idea..was more from past experience with some general cleaning up software so thought I should mention it..