Old 20 Jan 2009, 17:33 (Ref:2375451)   #1
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which wheel to choose?

Hi there,

I'm just starting to get into PC racing games having bought a new laptop for the first time in about eight years. The PS2 is just not doing it for me any more, I want a sim. And after becoming frustrated with playing Race 07 with a keyboard, I need a decent wheel for offline (and eventually online) play. But which one?

I can't stretch to a G25, so I'm looking at three possibles:

Thrustmaster Force Feedback F430
Logitech Momo Black
Logitech Driving Force GT

They're all in the same ballpark price-wise, so which one would you guys recommend for my money. I'd really appreciate any pointers.

Cheers
Old 20 Jan 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2375480)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mickrick,
I use a Logitech Driving Force GT myself and I find it very good and have had no problems with it after a lot of use.
prices are quite cheap on the internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Schumacher
Hi there,

I'm just starting to get into PC racing games having bought a new laptop for the first time in about eight years. The PS2 is just not doing it for me any more, I want a sim. And after becoming frustrated with playing Race 07 with a keyboard, I need a decent wheel for offline (and eventually online) play. But which one?

I can't stretch to a G25, so I'm looking at three possibles:

Thrustmaster Force Feedback F430
Logitech Momo Black
Logitech Driving Force GT

They're all in the same ballpark price-wise, so which one would you guys recommend for my money. I'd really appreciate any pointers.

Cheers
Old 20 Jan 2009, 19:42 (Ref:2375525)   #3
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Logitech Driving Force Pro for definate, but I do recommend that you start saving your pennies, once you get a taste of how good these games are with a good wheel you'll want a better one..........then a race seat.........then another Console..........etc etc.

Perry McCarthy
Old 20 Jan 2009, 19:56 (Ref:2375540)   #4
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would suggest waiting a bit longer till you have enough money for a G25
Old 20 Jan 2009, 21:02 (Ref:2375579)   #5
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This is only a matter of opinion and based on my own experience, but I would rate anything Logitech over Thrustmaster for the build quality alone.

The G25 is a fantastic wheel though. The build quality is something else.
Old 20 Jan 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2375623)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw a Logitech DFP for £14.99 in game the other day, and a pretty good wheel ive heard
Old 20 Jan 2009, 22:26 (Ref:2375656)   #7
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
DFP is cracking, i had one for ages and it was still fine when i sold it to a friend when i upgraded to the G25. If you really can't wait for a wheel the DFP is a sound choice, but when i tried the G25 i just couldn't believe how good it feels
Old 20 Jan 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2375687)   #8
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a DFP too, it's excellent.

However for some reason, I installed a mod on my PC, and now the wheel settings and FF are screwed beyond belief.
Old 24 Jan 2009, 20:04 (Ref:2378369)   #9
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
go for something logitech, ive got a logitech wingman formula force, not brilliant but ive had it since 2005 and it has never broken or had any problems and i use it a LOT, as soon as i get a better computer i will probably buy a G25 if i can find one for a reasonable price.
Old 25 Jan 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2378966)   #10
O'Schumacher
Racer

United Kingdom
Bedfordshire, England
O'Schumacher should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for the advice to everyone who has posted. Much appreciated.
Old 5 Feb 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2389234)   #11
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
dj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddj choc ice should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well on my front im happy to say ive just been playing on my new Logitech G25 and my god its bloody fantastic, pretty impressive stuff and well worth the money, its an absolute hoot using the 6 speed gated shift on the F1 1979 mod, heel and toeing down the gears is great fun and the 900 degrees of steering lock make things a damn sight more realistic, probably the best £140 ive spent in a very very long time.
Old 6 Feb 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2389916)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
IIRC the DFP was 'the' wheel to have before the G25 came along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj choc ice
Well on my front im happy to say ive just been playing on my new Logitech G25 and my god its bloody fantastic, pretty impressive stuff and well worth the money, its an absolute hoot using the 6 speed gated shift on the F1 1979 mod, heel and toeing down the gears is great fun and the 900 degrees of steering lock make things a damn sight more realistic, probably the best £140 ive spent in a very very long time.
I find the '79 mod a bit hairy using the H shifter! I'll need a lot more practice, which I should probably do, before I use it in a league race. I wuss out and use the paddles.

One tip I have found from something I stumbled across on youtube is if you aren't using the 'stick for gears, put it in sequential mode and map it to your brake bias. It works an absolute treat, especially when dealing with the change in fuel load during full length GPs.
Old 9 Feb 2009, 11:50 (Ref:2391623)   #13
Racecraft
Rookie

Racecraft should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgun
This is only a matter of opinion and based on my own experience, but I would rate anything Logitech over Thrustmaster for the build quality alone.
Agreed, I bought a TM last October and after three weeks the clamping mechanism had worn out and the paddle shifters had failed.

Ever since then I got the newer Logitech Driving Pro "GT" model, its a PS3 wheel but works A-OK on the PC. A fine wheel for the price imo.
Old 11 Feb 2009, 05:50 (Ref:2394308)   #14
dj choc ice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Liverpool
it is a bit hairy using the H shifter for the GP79 mod but it is very rewarding when you nail a quick lap round spa or the nordschleiffe, the best mod by a mile though is the cart factor prologue mod with the sequential shifter, its hard to say the least with the H shifter so with the sequential shifter at long beach its a treat, now im just waiting for the endurance series mod or prototype C, blasting round lemans in a 962 with the H shifter is sure to be great fun
Old 11 Feb 2009, 17:37 (Ref:2395568)   #15
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
The Fanatec Porsche 911 GT3 RS Wheel + Clubsport pedals look very good.
http://www.fanatec.de/webshop/new_eu...27ddb2cbf733ec