Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:51 (Ref:2432393)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hamilton: Disappoints

Well, I read this morning about how apologetic LH is about lying to the stewards. I must say I am very disappointed. I guess he had no regard for Trulli. Yes, he says his manager told him to do it, but that is not good enough for me. He lied. This reminds me of Michael Schumacher and his string of cheating antics over his career. Why do great drivers need to do this if they already are so good. Don't they believe in their "honest" selves?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:55 (Ref:2432401)   #2
bravo
Racer

England
North East England
bravo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trulli has no regard for the marshalls then.. speeding enough to drop it deep into the grass.

The team pay his wages, and Ryan is new to the role isn't he? Most drivers want to get the most out of the rules, and will try to bend them whenever possible.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 13:58 (Ref:2432404)   #3
ChrisPage
Racer

United Kingdom
Nottingham
ChrisPage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's that dark part of the human soul where you get a whiff of thinking you'll get away with it!

Look at how cautious the team were behind the safety car - just for the team manager to throw that goodwill away.

Hamilton the same - after the race though when he spoke to the BBC he looked a bit agitated. I suspect he was cross, and allowed that red mist in part to cloud his judgement - especially when maybe he thought 'hang on, I think they are just gonna take my word for it'.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:06 (Ref:2432408)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I've edited the thread title because it was somewhat emotive. However I do agree, he's apparently contrite but this is not good. Forgive me but I do believe he's a product of the MS generation and as such thinks "getting away with things" is normal business.

We see examples in all forms of racing where younger drivers take on attitudes from their heroes. Club saloon racers tend to imitate BTCC driving styles to costly effect.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:08 (Ref:2432409)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Maybe he's a flawed genius like Senna and Schumacher. Maybe being obsessed with winning can occasionally disrupt one's moral compass. Or maybe they're just human beings, and therefore they lie and cheat just as many of us do.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:14 (Ref:2432411)   #6
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
If he thought he was "getting away with it", why give a totally different story gratuitously to the world's media straight away? There's something that does not sit right at all with the whole story.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:20 (Ref:2432418)   #7
p261brm
Veteran

England
Shropshire & Oura
p261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridp261brm should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just logged on after the customary working week away 'from my desk'. I've not heard all the 'sorries' whys, wherefores etc, still trying to get my head round how the hell we are going to run a 'Race' at Donington on Sunday with half of the circuit under yellow flags, still first time for everything. If Lewis was as reported economic with the truth, he should be *~?',.> ashamed of himself, he has gone down in my estimation and not a little support when being blasted by some. His manager told him too, Rubbish, if he did and Lewis agreed to, he wants the grand order of The DCM, don't come Monday
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:21 (Ref:2432420)   #8
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
@ensign. I'm thinking of the aftermath, not the issue itself.

Like we did with MS and Senna before him, we do need to be unblinded so we can appreciate his talent, and criticise when it is deserved, like now.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:32 (Ref:2432429)   #9
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
At least there is some good news in all of this. McLaren are not persisting, although I think that they think that they have grounds to do so. They are at face value acting like a good team should by simply moving on as a team. Lessons learned I hope and lets move on.

On another note: I think it is high time that Lewis starts to think for himself and if given questionable advice, he needs to question it, not obey blindly.. This applies on the track as well as off. All part of the learning curve I suppose.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 14:58 (Ref:2432454)   #10
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
.......On another note: I think it is high time that Lewis starts to think for himself and if given questionable advice, he needs to question it,(my italics) not obey blindly.. ....
He did; have you not listened to the recording of the car-pit radio, or read the transcript? The links are in the other thread.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 15:06 (Ref:2432463)   #11
paddy
Veteran

England
Nottingham
paddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridpaddy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a real shame, but let's hope he learns. Whoever you are life has a way of biting you and it's how you react after that matters. I wouldn't compare him to MS yet as he was a serial culprit, but he's damaged by this. He has made a big thing of family values and his religious beliefs so to some extent this looks worse. Definitely gone down in my estimation. Could be a long year for him on and off the track.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 15:23 (Ref:2432478)   #12
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
McLaren disappoints - Hamilton does what he's told.

The team don't have a culture where it is possible for any individual to be true to himself - corporate control underpins every detail. Which is also why it is absurd to suspend one individual - no way was Dave Ryan acting alone.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2432511)   #13
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hamilton could take a step back here and think about his contract and obligations to the team - no employer can ask you to break rules in pursuit of your work, and hopefully he'll now have the confidence to assert himself if any similar situation occurs in future.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2432515)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I wonder if this, and the reduced influence of Ron Dennis, will make him have a think about his future career options a bit more...
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:12 (Ref:2432517)   #15
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
At least there is some good news in all of this. McLaren are not persisting, although I think that they think that they have grounds to do so. They are at face value acting like a good team should by simply moving on as a team. Lessons learned I hope and lets move on.

On another note: I think it is high time that Lewis starts to think for himself and if given questionable advice, he needs to question it, not obey blindly.. This applies on the track as well as off. All part of the learning curve I suppose.
What grounds are those? That they didn't lie, but rather suffered from Temporary False Memory Syndrome? Lessons learned? I am sure they will incorporate the lessons learned to ensure they are more competent at attempted deceit next time, certainly.

Acting like the "good team" that attempts to lie their way to gains at the expense of a rival? Don't misunderstand me, I don't think Mclaren are any different to the rest of the teams: I just find it silly when people start using terms like "good". All the teams and drivers are going to scheme at times: "good" or "moral" or "just", or whatever, just don't come into it for me. There is telling the truth and there is lying: there is getting away with it, and there is getting caught at it.

Lews to think for himself? I think it has been shown he thinks for himself. He made his decision to do what he did. Perhaps he'll have a bit more sense next time, though.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:14 (Ref:2432520)   #16
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one thing i hate is liars in general. 2nd thing it's sportsmanship to be honnest if you **** up or whatever and then go and bull**** about it is just wrong. whether or not Lewis just BSed or the team told him too dosn't matter, Lewis would gain respect 10 fold for just telling the truth and moving on. if it gives the team the ****s stuff'em you know at the end of the day you walk away with your dignaty intact, probably gain more fans.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2432561)   #17
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I still don't understand how they expected to get away with it. The radio conversations are all recorded by the FIA. He even said after the race he let Trulli through. The upper management at Mclaren and Lewis had a serious brain fade and Dave Ryan has taken the fall. But it surely can't just be him.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 17:13 (Ref:2432581)   #18
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
This is why I don't think we've had the full story from the stewards. I am guessing they asked the wrong question. Like "did you let Trulli past after McLaren told you to do so?" or something like that. So, to cover up the incompetence, the FIA launches itself onto McLaren and threatens them with multiple bans if they try to protest.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 17:25 (Ref:2432590)   #19
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Hamilton seems pretty clear that he intentionally withheld information, having been told to do so by the team (that is, Ryan).

http://www.formula1.com/news/headlines/2009/4/9126.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis Hamilton (according to formula1.com)
In Melbourne, I had a great race. As soon as I got out of the car I had the television interviews at the back of the garage, and straight away I gave them a good account of what happened during the race. Straight after that we were requested by the stewards, and while waiting I was instructed and misled by my team manager to withhold information, and that is what I did.

I sincerely apologise to the stewards for wasting their time.
Or is this part of covering up reality so that Mclaren can keep Ryan as the fall guy, which Mclaren have done so as to keep a lid on the FIA's cover-up (because they think they think they will be excluded from the championship if they don't)?

It is possible that Lewis and the team lied, got caught, then got punished for lying. It is possible that the situation is actually that simple.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 17:45 (Ref:2432601)   #20
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
They are at face value acting like a good team should by simply moving on as a team.
That is the last thing they did actually. If their intention was to act as a team and move on as a team they wouldn't single out a veteran employee and charge him with all the guilt.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 18:15 (Ref:2432631)   #21
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
wonder if this, and the reduced influence of Ron Dennis, will make him have a think about his future career options a bit more...
But it isn't any more McLaren's fault than it is his own. He didn't have to obey such a stupid request of his team.

I'm disappointed in him.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2432633)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
That is the last thing they did actually. If their intention was to act as a team and move on as a team they wouldn't single out a veteran employee and charge him with all the guilt.

Yes, I get your point and perhaps this is Mac doing damage control in an effort to evade further penalty to their driver.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 18:16 (Ref:2432635)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Red: you spend a year away from the forum and you come back for this?
Old 3 Apr 2009, 18:35 (Ref:2432654)   #24
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Tehee

Only 1 year it was? I thought it was more.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2432669)   #25
bdwoody
Veteran

United Kingdom
redbridge southampton
bdwoody should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
But it isn't any more McLaren's fault than it is his own. He didn't have to obey such a stupid request of his team.

I'm disappointed in him.

have a word with ya self born, a team that has bank rolled lewis all his career and got him to the top of the tree in the so called "pinicle of motor sport" and your expecting him to say ,"errrrr now way i'm saying that dave i'll do what i want to do !" i dont think so ...
dont get me wrong i think he has done the wrong thing here but i wouldn't call it a clever ploy to cheat , more like a lapse in judgement at an early point in his F1 career.some would call it loyalty others stupidity ,we all have our own views .....