Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2428844)   #1
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
andye30m3 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Newbie - sprint quesions

Hi everyone

I've entered a sprint race in class A1 in my clio 172 and have a few quick quesions.

I have a national B race licence and all the old FIA approved raceware.

With regards to the car prep I have a standard clio, and all I have done is put new tyres on it from the tyre list (yokohama pradas), marked the on/off positions for the standard ignition switch and made a timing strut. Is there anything else which could stop me racing? as I don't want to get there and not be able to run.

I'm still waiting for my race number and an slightly worried that I won't be able to order them in time, will they mind if I just make my own up on plan paper and tape to the rear windows?

Any other advise would be great.

Cheers Andy
Old 30 Mar 2009, 10:50 (Ref:2428872)   #2
St Eval
Rookie

St Eval should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yellow tape on the battery earth lead, no wheel trims if you have steel wheels (which is doubtful) and you can do what you said with the numbers, just make sure they are to the MSA spec sizes. Print some of on A4. Best of luck, where are you competing?
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:03 (Ref:2428887)   #3
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
cheers for the reply, Yellow tape- forgot about that I'll get that sorted this week.

I'm going to Lydden, Quite pleased the first round is at Lydden as I've done a few dozen laps there so atleast know my way round! Goodwood could be a shock.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2428890)   #4
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Historic RAF Tangmere, West Sussex
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
When are you at Goodwood?
I will be marshalling most sprints there this year.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:15 (Ref:2428895)   #5
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitmarshal View Post
When are you at Goodwood?
I will be marshalling most sprints there this year.
I think its on the 25th of April.

I'll be in the bright yellow clio if you could point be in the right direction when I get lost!

Hopefully I won't have to meet you in person on the track side of the fence!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 11:52 (Ref:2428921)   #6
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Circuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCircuitmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No worries I will come to you as I'm chief marshal on the event!!
By coming to you I mean in the paddock.
Goodwood there is only one thing to remember St Mary's is the only LEFT hander on the circuit!!
Good luck at Lydden see you at Goodwood.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 13:14 (Ref:2428981)   #7
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Clios seem to have done well in A1 from what I've seen, seem quite popular. Think others have covered all the necessary above - enjoy it!
Old 30 Mar 2009, 17:29 (Ref:2429140)   #8
St Eval
Rookie

Have sprinted at Lydden a few times with the BSC, it's good I like it. If you feel like travelling to the Westcountry we have some good venues down here and entries are relatively cheap, £60 to £75 in Cornwall and Devon and a great atmosphere.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:23 (Ref:2429176)   #9
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Cheers for the replies,

I think the Clio should be a good choice unless any s2000's turn up but I wouldn't be happy pushing a £6k car in case anything went wrong.

I've entered the twmc all circuit series for a start, might looking into traveling further but need to find some work before that becomes an option.
Old 30 Mar 2009, 18:33 (Ref:2429184)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
St Eval - where abouts in Devon and Cornwall do you sprint? Just thinking it could turn into a trip to visit the OH's parents... I know of a few venues from rallying, just wonder if any are the same.

[edit] just seen your "West Country" topic!
Old 31 Mar 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2429850)   #11
St Eval
Rookie

Regs are available for the St Eval events 10th May and 24th May from Newquay Auto Club. Entry fee £60.00, 3 laps per run, Brilliant.
Other dates at St Eval 21st June, 26th July, 6th September, if you want to make a proper weekend of it, do Predannack on the 25th July and 5th September. Not sure of entry fees for Predannack yet but will be similar to St Eval. Everyone is always made welcome and you can try proper pasties, not the ones that travel up from Cornwall daily.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2430481)   #12
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Arrive in time to walk the course, and actually walk the course even if you've been driving it for donkey's years. Attach your scrutineering ticket prominantly once you've got it. Get to know the running order and your place in it from the first run saturday morning. Never make more than one change to the car between runs. Don't be afraid to ask for help.
Old 1 Apr 2009, 11:30 (Ref:2430496)   #13
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
ISTR the Blue book says fire extinguisher 'optional' but I know of at least one organising club who insist on a fire ex in their series/championship regs, so best to check...
Old 2 Apr 2009, 11:01 (Ref:2431256)   #14
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Cheers again for the replies, Really looking forward to it now (except getting up at 6am!)

I've had the provisional enrty list through no which seam to have put me as car number 1 as standard production class is listed first so doesn't look like I'll be able to follow the guy in front.

One other quesion, I have a bullet cam, the recorder, wiring etc is all fixed into the car, are the scrutineers likely to allow me to use this? the bullet cam its self mounts to the bodywork with three suction cups.
Old 2 Apr 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2431502)   #15
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andye30m3 View Post
Cheers again for the replies, Really looking forward to it now (except getting up at 6am!)

I've had the provisional enrty list through no which seam to have put me as car number 1 as standard production class is listed first so doesn't look like I'll be able to follow the guy in front.

One other quesion, I have a bullet cam, the recorder, wiring etc is all fixed into the car, are the scrutineers likely to allow me to use this? the bullet cam its self mounts to the bodywork with three suction cups.
Usually yes. Just make sure it's fixed in place before scrutineering, is secure and does not compromise your vision or safety features of the car,
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:09 (Ref:2431566)   #16
Chris_w
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
Chris_w should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Andy, not sure about suction cup mounted cameras but I've filmed using a cage mounted camera at Lydden. You'll need to sign a disclaimer saying it's for private use (ask at sign in), it says on the form that there's a £10 charge but they seem to waive that.

Good luck!
Old 2 Apr 2009, 16:45 (Ref:2431585)   #17
Copperbottom
Veteran

Copperbottom has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
[QUOTE=andye30m3;2431256]

so doesn't look like I'll be able to follow the guy in front.

QUOTE]

You don't follow anyone,cars are set off 1 at a time. Make sure you listen out for the paddock marshall,there's not much time between runs at Lydden.
Lydden's great,Goodwood's even better,much more relaxed,(sometimes boringly so)you will have to do a convoy run so you'll get a chance to see where the track goes before practise,don't you should get two consecutive laps practise at Goodwood.

The all circuit championships really good and well organised,I won class D and the whole modified category in 2007,Chrisw was 3rd overall iirc I also registered with the acsmc championships as it gave me a greater range of events and venues to chose from.

Enjoy yourself.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 12:21 (Ref:2432314)   #18
Chris_w
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
[QUOTE=Copperbottom;2431585]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andye30m3 View Post

so doesn't look like I'll be able to follow the guy in front.

QUOTE]

The all circuit championships really good and well organised,I won class D and the whole modified category in 2007,Chrisw was 3rd overall iirc I also registered with the acsmc championships as it gave me a greater range of events and venues to chose from.

Enjoy yourself.
Purely in the interest of accuracy I'd just like to point out that it was second in '07 but third last year after some unreliability combined with a couple of spins on crucial runs.

In all seriousness though, CopperBottom is right, it's a great series, all the best Andy.
Old 3 Apr 2009, 16:27 (Ref:2432531)   #19
Copperbottom
Veteran

[QUOTE=Chris_w;2432314][QUOTE=Copperbottom;2431585]

Purely in the interest of accuracy I'd just like to point out that it was second in '07 but third last year after some unreliability combined with a couple of spins on crucial runs.

QUOTE]

Sorry Chris,I did say if I remember correctly
Old 4 Apr 2009, 20:06 (Ref:2433544)   #20
Copperbottom
Veteran

How'd you get on?
Old 5 Apr 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2433722)   #21
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Really enjoyed it, need to sign up for goodwood now.

Started off no so well my stalling on the line in pratise! worrying about the 5 seconds to get away but other than that was great

did three timed runs of 1.75 laps and the time were along the lines of

so was getting better, would have liked another 3 goes.

There was only one other guy in my class in a very similar car who was around 2 seconds faster but I gotr them impression he'd been doing it a while so I was happy.

Was also a nice bunch of people down there very friendly and chatty, can wait for the next round now (worried it won't be long before I want to move to the more expencive classes)
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:46 (Ref:2434920)   #22
Chris_w
Racer

United Kingdom
Kent
Well done Andy, good times for first time out and you improved throughout the day which is the main thing. Track was very dusty too (as I found out in the afternoon ).

I was suprprised that with the low turnout they didn't squeeze a third timed run in for you, I'm guessing there were quite a few delays?

Good that you've got a decent benchmark to gauge your progress against - two seconds is around a second a lap so not much to find
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:52 (Ref:2434925)   #23
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Andy,
We are ready for you send in that entry, Goodwood awaits!!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 16:29 (Ref:2435300)   #24
andye30m3
Rookie

United Kingdom
East Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_w View Post
Well done Andy, good times for first time out and you improved throughout the day which is the main thing. Track was very dusty too (as I found out in the afternoon ).

I was suprprised that with the low turnout they didn't squeeze a third timed run in for you, I'm guessing there were quite a few delays?

Good that you've got a decent benchmark to gauge your progress against - two seconds is around a second a lap so not much to find
sorry we did end up with 3 runs there was a pratise run at the begining which I for some reason forgot about, it was around 105 as I stalled trying to get off the line, Doh!

Driving a standard road car with a crash helmet on for the first time proved too confusing as I couldn't hear the engine! oh well live and learn, it's only stupid if I do it again!

Circuitmarshall, the entry will be in tonights post, can't wait!
Old 6 Apr 2009, 16:50 (Ref:2435316)   #25
Circuitmarshal
Veteran

England
Andy,
As the sun will be shining I will keep my hat on so you don't get dazzled!!
You've seen the picture prepare for the real thing, it will save you worrying about being at a new venue!!