Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 19 May 2009, 15:51 (Ref:2465216)   #1
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
olly83 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What's the point?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...2_Formula_One/

"Quentin Letts takes a witty but thought provoking look at the world of Formula One motor racing"
Old 19 May 2009, 16:13 (Ref:2465231)   #2
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by olly83 View Post
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...2_Formula_One/

"Quentin Letts takes a witty but thought provoking look at the world of Formula One motor racing"
The only thought that was provoked by that is unrepeatable on a family discussion forum...
Old 19 May 2009, 16:28 (Ref:2465238)   #3
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It pains me to say it, but they've got a point - why should a race be decided by "six men in a cuboard a week after the race".
Old 20 May 2009, 03:49 (Ref:2465488)   #4
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Who's that Natalie Haynes eeeejit?

Quote:
"When has anything come off of a Formula 1 car.....and then appeared on your car?" "Giant adverts on the side haven't even made it!"

Urmmmm.

How about Traction Control, Anti Lock Brake Systems, Seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, possibly even seatbelts.

Numpty

Perry McCarthy
Old 20 May 2009, 08:03 (Ref:2465526)   #5
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboy1066 View Post

How about Traction Control, Anti Lock Brake Systems, Seatbelt pretensioners, crumple zones, possibly even seatbelts.

Numpty
Actually,none of those,and far less other stuff than you may think as well.
Old 20 May 2009, 09:14 (Ref:2465559)   #6
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Why do we have to justify it? It's as ultimately pointless an any other sport, hobby or leisure pursuit but it gives people enjoyment.

To argue F1 should be banned because it is a pointless waste of resources presumably means that we should all be banned from driving to see friends, taking holidays, going on cruises, watching telly and so on as these are also ultimately pointless?
Old 20 May 2009, 10:09 (Ref:2465593)   #7
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
Actually,none of those,and far less other stuff than you may think as well.
But a lot more stuff from F1 has appeared on my car than stuff from football, tennis, boxing, rugby and the olympics put together.
Old 20 May 2009, 10:15 (Ref:2465596)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Urmmmm.

TC was introduced in F1 before it was normal on road cars, but it was a different system. Road cars tend to use the brakes, race cars tend to cut the power.
Road cars had ABS ages before F1 did.
F1 cars don't have pretensioned seat belts. Never had as far as I know.
F1 cars don't really operate crumply zones. Although there is a a survival cell, albeit made out of different material, and there is energy disipacition in an F1 crash, but not really by a crumple zone.
Seatbelts generally made it into road cars before F1 cars!
Quote:
Numpty

Quote:
Why do we have to justify it? It's as ultimately pointless an any other sport, hobby or leisure pursuit but it gives people enjoyment.
I agree with this. Those who chose to debunk the road car relevance point miss the point. Firstly it is a more general apporoach and it encourages thinking. And more generally, it is a sport and is worthy for its own sake.
Old 20 May 2009, 10:20 (Ref:2465601)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
But a lot more stuff from F1 has appeared on my car than stuff from football, tennis, boxing, rugby and the olympics put together.
Woah there with the amazing point. While we are at it we should note that cat food has contributed practically nothing to the development of bicycles. Less than that sentence did to facetious remarks.
Old 20 May 2009, 10:49 (Ref:2465620)   #10
Lotusonpole
Veteran

United Kingdom
NW England
Lotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLotusonpole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
Woah there with the amazing point. While we are at it we should note that cat food has contributed practically nothing to the development of bicycles. Less than that sentence did to facetious remarks.
Not counting of course recycling (pun?) the tins for bicycles made in China.

The fact that something was not introduced first on F1 cars is only part of it.
With the global audience F1 has, something on F1 cars, even if it has been 'borrowed' from somewhere else, e.g. aero industry, space programme, cat food cannery etc, may influence its adoption by road cars.
Therefore F1 has both direct and indirect influences/contribution to road car development. But this could be said of all categories of motor sports.

Old 20 May 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2465627)   #11
olly83
Racer

United Kingdom
Whilst F1 may not be responsible for inventing the mentioned road car tech, I was under the impression that the nature of competition accelerated the development of such technologies faster than if the road car manufacturers were left to their own devices.

Having your road car share similar tech to racing cars must increase desirability and therefore sales too. Just look at Audi and Peugeot at Le Mans with their diesel crusades!
Old 20 May 2009, 20:21 (Ref:2465943)   #12
Just-Right
Rookie

Just-Right should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe we need to think out of the box on this one. F1 is a sport just as Soccer. However do we see better shoes and clothing because of the high funds involved with the latter?

I would like to add that F1 brings a lot, al be it in a indirect way. As far as I know F1 teams started using CFD in 1991 - 1992, probally sooner. All the funding towards accurate and large simulations has surely opened a lot of possibilities towards commercial use, and thus the development of productioncars, boats, electrical products etc.
Old 20 May 2009, 22:15 (Ref:2466045)   #13
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
And would we see a diffuser on the back of renault's latest hot hatches. I think their Clio's got one! See, where would we be without F1?
Old 20 May 2009, 23:48 (Ref:2466088)   #14
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
The point is..Where can you have this kind of fun on a regular basis?
Old 20 May 2009, 23:58 (Ref:2466092)   #15
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
And would we see a diffuser on the back of renault's latest hot hatches. I think their Clio's got one! See, where would we be without F1?
That wasn't an F1 invention either..
Old 21 May 2009, 00:25 (Ref:2466107)   #16
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:

Having your road car share similar tech to racing cars mus Just look at Audi and Peugeot at Le Mans with their diesel crusades!
If you want to get ahead in Sports cars then diesel seems to be the way to go.Possibly why Ferrari aren't that interested.But they could always get the rules changed couldn't they.

There's not a lot new under the sun (four and five valve cyl heads before the end of the first world war!),only the way it gets used.
Old 21 May 2009, 04:35 (Ref:2466150)   #17
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
But F1 COULD create new things - or at least bring news things to the mainstream through development. I'm thinking of innovative engine designs - away from reciprocating for example - or more electric. The rules should stipulate a max power, and let the teams build what they like. There are technologies out there that could (maybe) revolutionise efficiency etc but that never get funding. F1 could fund them.
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 21 May 2009, 09:32 (Ref:2466272)   #18
jonboy1066
Racer

United Kingdom
'astings
jonboy1066 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Who's that Natalie Haynes eeeejit?

Quote:
"When has anything come off of a Formula 1 car.....and then appeared on your car?" "Giant adverts on the side haven't even made it!"

Urmmmm.

Numpty
When I wrote this post I was at work on the back end of a very busy night shift, I had to drop everything and run before I got the chance to finish writing, then when I got back I'd run out of time to edit my post. But I did mean to say that even if those things weren't invented by F1 they were certainly improved by the rapid pace of F1 development.

Perry McCarthy
Old 21 May 2009, 09:38 (Ref:2466275)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Maybe Natalie Haynes was too.
Old 21 May 2009, 18:59 (Ref:2466634)   #20
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Formula One isn't really about developing technoligies for the road. Thats for Sportscars and Touring Cars.

Formula One is there for pure entertainment, but there's nothing wrong with that. However, its not a sport exclusive to athletes, there's also a competition between engineers and mechanics - people of all shapes and sizes.

I call that a very decent sport.

What the Radio 4 programme really should have asked was What is the point in Formula 2, GP2, Formula 3, Formula Master, F3 Euro Series, F3 European Cup, F3 British International Series, Formula Renault Eurocup, Renault World Series and Formula Ford?
Old 21 May 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2466716)   #21
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
Formula One isn't really about developing technoligies for the road. Thats for Sportscars and Touring Cars.
Touring Cars? Road car development?
Old 21 May 2009, 21:10 (Ref:2466748)   #22
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
What the Radio 4 programme really should have asked was What is the point in Formula 2, GP2, Formula 3, Formula Master, F3 Euro Series, F3 European Cup, F3 British International Series, Formula Renault Eurocup, Renault World Series and Formula Ford?
How many people listened to that show do we think? A damn lot less that watch F1 i'd have thought. So maybe we should be asking 'what is the point of that show on radio 4'.

It hasn't contributed anything to anything so scrap it!

Last edited by awrb; 21 May 2009 at 21:11. Reason: hilarious spelling mistake, got a teat in there somehow
Old 26 May 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2469173)   #23
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The point? To generate fodder for irritating radio presenters to talk about. "It's complicated", he says. I personally find a multitude of sports initially appear complicated, but if I were willing to work them out, I would manage it.