Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 28 Jun 2009, 08:56 (Ref:2491861)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Webber to Renault - not fact, just, what if?

Before i start, i'm asking the mod's that if this thread gets out of hand, that they close it ASAP.

I was flipping through some threads earlier and i saw, Chatter's sig i believe it was, saying Webber to Renault. And i got thinking, why would he want to go there?

Obviously, over the year's, Webber to Renault has become as common as DC and this is my year. But in the past, or indeed, the time Mark has been in f1, Mark, until now, has never had a car good enough to go for race win's and the Renault has won 2 WDC's and 1 (??) WCC. It alway's seemed an attractive seat, but not so any more.

Just wondering. Iirc, Mark is out of contract at the end of the year (??) What happen's if Fernando does go to Ferrari for next year, Red Bull want to keep Mark (and why wouldn't they) but Flavio, as Mark's manager decides to put him in the Renault for next year? A car that, whilst we don't have a crystal ball, there is no reason to suggest that it will be up there with the Red Bull, what could Mark do?

Indeed, what should he do? What would you do if you were in his position? Would you stick with Flavio? or the car/team that's likely to give you the better chance of success?

Before i sign off, i promise that this isn't a thread to start bad feeling, there seem to be plenty of other thread's concerning Mark that does that, it's just that as soon as i saw that sig, it got the mind going. It could, of course to apply to any driver, but i can't think of many that are managed by a team manager.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 10:05 (Ref:2491893)   #2
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Well you can only go by the way things are going and looking at a bit of history. Which makes things extremely difficult!

You also have to look at how long Renault are committed to the cause, because if Flav has to end up buying the team, you can expect maybe a season (at least) to adjust and become competitive (unless you "do a Brawn").

Flav is obviously a good player in this game and has had success with his handpicked drivers. It'd be a tough decision, but I think Mark would and should stay with Red Bull. Promising team with strong backing, and Adrian Newey who has a proven track record.

In conclusion, no Webber to Renault

Selby
Old 28 Jun 2009, 11:33 (Ref:2492652)   #3
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was under the impression that Webber to Renault was a running joke that stemmed from him being strongly rumoured to be going there for 2007 (due to his connections to Flav and that he nearly went there for 2005) but he ended up going to Red Bull instead - in hindsight, probably the right decision, as he'd have gone there at the same time as Renault's slump, which would've damaged his reputation

I don't see any reason why he'd want to go there now given that he's holding his own in a front-running team and Renault are midfielders now. It was different in 2006 because they were the top team at the time but ever since they switched to Bridgestone tyres, they've struggled, bar a couple of moments of genius from Fernando. Mark gets along well with him but I'm sure if he was to go there, it would be to replace him, as Grosjean is a near certainty in the 2nd car next season

If he was to leave RBR (which given the tension in the team and alleged favouritism for Seb V wouldn't be too surprising), I would've thought his stock value would've gone up enough to get him a better drive than at the Regie, although who with I have no idea (the silly season has stalled due to the political situation). I can always dream but I'd like to see him at Brawn to replace Rubens
Old 28 Jun 2009, 13:06 (Ref:2492689)   #4
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
If he was to leave RBR (which given the tension in the team and alleged favouritism for Seb V wouldn't be too surprising)
Excuse me if I've missed something, (as I'm no expert on anything) but what tension within the team and alledged favouritism towards Seb V are you talking about?
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I can't remember reading, seeing or hearing anything to say that's true.
Anyone else?
Old 28 Jun 2009, 13:20 (Ref:2492696)   #5
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I was flipping through some threads earlier and i saw, Chatter's sig i believe it was, saying Webber to Renault.
I just got all warm and fuzzy inside.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 28 Jun 2009, 13:36 (Ref:2492707)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Maybe if Renault have a three car team next season ? Rumours also abound that Valentino Rossi will get the 'third seat' at Ferrari!
Old 28 Jun 2009, 13:41 (Ref:2492712)   #7
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
If he was to leave RBR (which given the tension in the team and alleged favouritism for Seb V wouldn't be too surprising), I would've thought his stock value would've gone up enough to get him a better drive than at the Regie, although who with I have no idea (the silly season has stalled due to the political situation). I can always dream but I'd like to see him at Brawn to replace Rubens
That would be great to see him at Renault or Brawn, but I think staying at RBR is his best shot for now.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 14:11 (Ref:2492725)   #8
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Excuse me if I've missed something, (as I'm no expert on anything) but what tension within the team and alledged favouritism towards Seb V are you talking about?
It wouldn't surprise me either, but I can't remember reading, seeing or hearing anything to say that's true.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/f1mole/20...sh-gp-fro.html

Quote:
Vettel's engineer almost blamed him for the outcome on the team radio after the race: "I'm sure it's been a frustrating race, but that's what happens after the first lap". Blimey, talk about rubbing it in.

What doesn't make Red Bull any happier a team at present is their delicate relationship with Webber.

Mark would never say it, but he feels unloved by the management, a situation that has come about since China, when Vettel won Red Bull's first race.

Team boss Christian Horner is a smart bloke and would not want to exacerbate that situation, so was happy to let Webber finish second on merit, rather than marginalise him further by letting Vettel overtake on fresher tyres. Even if that lost Sebastian two points in the championship.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 15:58 (Ref:2492771)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Frankly, that article as much weight as a post on a forum, IMHO. It even has a made up username.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 17:44 (Ref:2492805)   #10
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Interesting cameo in the Red Bull area after the race where someone close to Mark Webber, who drove brilliantly to leapfrog Massa and Vettel and grab a podium, said, ‘I’m glad someone here is happy,” implying that the place was like a morgue because the chosen one had not got the anticipated result…
http://allenonf1.wordpress.com/2009/...d-vettel-lose/
Old 28 Jun 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2492810)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Just wondering. Iirc, Mark is out of contract at the end of the year (??) What happen's if Fernando does go to Ferrari for next year, Red Bull want to keep Mark (and why wouldn't they) but Flavio, as Mark's manager decides to put him in the Renault for next year? A car that, whilst we don't have a crystal ball, there is no reason to suggest that it will be up there with the Red Bull, what could Mark do?

Indeed, what should he do? What would you do if you were in his position? Would you stick with Flavio? or the car/team that's likely to give you the better chance of success?
Right now I would say he should stick with the team that's more likely to be successful - obviously it's a lot of 'what if's, but at the moment it doesn't look like Renault are anywhere near on Red Bull's level. However, if there is truth in the rumours that Webber isn't happy at RBR and feels the team is favouring Vettel, then he might prefer to be somewhere where he'll score less points but feel appreciated.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 28 Jun 2009, 19:26 (Ref:2492835)   #12
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
You can read too much into things like this.

RBR should've won from pole in Turkey, but due to an error, their rivals took the spoils. That's more likely to be the reason the RBR were downhearted.
Old 28 Jun 2009, 21:57 (Ref:2492910)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
That was Spain, not Turkey
Old 28 Jun 2009, 22:07 (Ref:2492915)   #14
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I stand corrected. Though the crux of my point still stands. The team probably got less out of the weekend than they expected, hence the downhearted mood.
Old 29 Jun 2009, 11:04 (Ref:2493173)   #15
Ricky Bobby
Racer

Australia
Ricky Bobby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Racer View Post
Thanks for the link.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore View Post
Frankly, that article as much weight as a post on a forum, IMHO. It even has a made up username.
I was kind of thinking the same, although I don't doubt there is some truth in there.
Old 30 Jun 2009, 22:55 (Ref:2494182)   #16
thunderbolt
Veteran

thunderbolt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he had his choice williams or Renault in 2004
but this may come down to who red bull pick as their engine supplier
Old 1 Jul 2009, 23:46 (Ref:2494798)   #17
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I don't think Flavio would ever order Mark to go anywhere.

Flavio suggested he should go there for 2005, but Mark wanted to go to Williams - leaving Fisichella ending up at Renault.

After Williams lost BMW and headed south, I believe it was Flavio that suggested to Mark that he should go to Red Bull as they appeared to be on the way up. Flavio then went and signed Piquet to Renault.

I have seen quotes from Webber saying he chose Williams against Flavio's advice in 2005 - and he wasn't going to do the same thing again with Red Bull.

Don't forget that Mark Webber doing well at any team is hugely beneficial to Flavio as his manager...
Old 2 Jul 2009, 14:45 (Ref:2495069)   #18
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would Renault want 2 WDC's in their cars?