Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 2 Jan 2008, 16:43 (Ref:2098120)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
What happened to them?

A few of these 'recent' touring car threads have me misty-eyed for those days, and I wonder what happened to some of the guys from then? Plus some other random drivers I recollect:

Sean Walker (Rouse Sierra, BTCC)
Bob Sands (TVR Tuscans)
Alistar Lyell and Dave Louden (Rover Cup?)
Rob Gravett (BTCC)
Ian Flux (BTCC/Tuscans)
Barrie Williams (various one-makes)
Richard Ward (CSCC Alfa)
Jason Yeomans (BRSCC National Saloons/Vectras)
Jamie Wall (BTCC)

And probs more I've forgotten.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2098447)   #2
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
A few of these 'recent' touring car threads have me misty-eyed for those days, and I wonder what happened to some of the guys from then? Plus some other random drivers I recollect:

Sean Walker (Rouse Sierra, BTCC)
Bob Sands (TVR Tuscans)
Alistar Lyell and Dave Louden (Rover Cup?)
Rob Gravett (BTCC)
Ian Flux (BTCC/Tuscans)
Barrie Williams (various one-makes)
Richard Ward (CSCC Alfa)
Jason Yeomans (BRSCC National Saloons/Vectras)
Jamie Wall (BTCC)

And probs more I've forgotten.
OK, here's what I (think I) know:
Sean Walker is still competing, but in historic sports cars (Lotus Elan I think).
Alastair Lyall has finally stopped competing (but I'm sure could be tempted back...) and now focuses his motor-sport efforts into his sons karting.
Ian Flux and Barrie Williams are both still very active, driving anything & everything wherever possible.
I'm sure that someone else will fill in the blanks (and correct me where I'm wrong!).
Old 3 Jan 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2098795)   #3
nycuk
Veteran

England
Banbury, Oxfordshire, England
nycuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Robb Gravett runs the Ultimate Car Control driving training program out of Crowthorne in Berks.
Old 3 Jan 2008, 22:49 (Ref:2098910)   #4
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As already mentioned both Barrie Williams & Ian Flux are regular racers. Whizzo races historics brilliantly & Fluxie races all sorts (regularly seen in a Mosler).
I'd like to add 2 Welsh drivers to the list :-
Karl Jones - spectacularly driven Duckams RS500 in the BTCC
Julian Westwood - single seaters up to British F3000 and the last Welsh driver to get to this level I think
Any idea what these 2 are up to ?
Old 3 Jan 2008, 23:44 (Ref:2098944)   #5
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jamie Wall I remember did a few supertouring races in Australia in 1998 or 1999 and then I don't remember hearing of him again.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 06:15 (Ref:2099063)   #6
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He (Jamie Wall) came back to Australia in 2000, trying to run a Pilbeam in the Race of 1000 Years at Adelaide.
Old 4 Jan 2008, 16:03 (Ref:2099351)   #7
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba
As already mentioned both Barrie Williams & Ian Flux are regular racers. Whizzo races historics brilliantly & Fluxie races all sorts (regularly seen in a Mosler).
I'd like to add 2 Welsh drivers to the list :-
Karl Jones - spectacularly driven Duckams RS500 in the BTCC
Julian Westwood - single seaters up to British F3000 and the last Welsh driver to get to this level I think
Any idea what these 2 are up to ?
Squeaker and Fluxie are both still racing, Karl made a race return in 2006 after 10 years without racing and IIRC finished 2nd or 3rd. He lives not far from Brands and gets there quite a bit to spectate but unfortunately work commitments and family meant no racing last year, but maybe this year, he might even get a co-drive with me if he plays his cards right!!
Julian Westwood was racing in the Seat Cupras until rencentlyish.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 10:31 (Ref:2099867)   #8
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heres one of those little stories for you Gregor,I remember Karls first outing at Snett,He kept complaining to Gerry about feeling so nervous about the race,Gerry promptly marched him over to Tyrrells for a couple of pints and chicken curry,result? nerves totally soothed and Karl thoroughly enjoyed himself!. One of the many to have been taken under Gerry's wing.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 15:53 (Ref:2100141)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBRM
Julian Westwood was an instructor in Donnington Park for a while in the 1990s... I got the gift of session there as a present once and had him as a passenger with me. I scared the living crap out of him with my ultra late braking. Towards the end of the lap he said... you're not a karter are you ? I told him I was and he asked me to pull in and got an F3 driver [Henry can't remember his last name] to sit with me instead

He did the SEAT Cupras and drove a Porsche in the British GT championship as well. Terrible waste of a great talent unfortunately.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:40 (Ref:2100251)   #10
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
Heres one of those little stories for you Gregor,I remember Karls first outing at Snett,He kept complaining to Gerry about feeling so nervous about the race,Gerry promptly marched him over to Tyrrells for a couple of pints and chicken curry,result? nerves totally soothed and Karl thoroughly enjoyed himself!. One of the many to have been taken under Gerry's wing.
Knice story TB and I can imaginie it, Karl is/was a great driver and Dad really thought he'd be the next big thing (but then look at the money he wasted on Jock Robertson and Tim Lee Davey!!) and he was great in the Formula Fords and the Fiats and did pretty well in the Duckhams Cosworth (much to Dad's disgust but that's another story!!).
Karl is lovely guy, other than being Welsh and not drinking much (a couple of pints and a curry he would have been terrible!!) and I'd like to see him out there again, he would do very well.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2100253)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was watching the 1989 BTCC review video recently, and noticed how few of the drivers were still around when I got into the series in 1993. As well as Walker and Jones, there are people like Chris Hodgetts, Graham Goode, Mike Newman, James Weaver, Frank Sytner, Phil Dowsett, Dave Brodie and others. Other than Weaver and Sytner, I know little of what any of them do now.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 19:44 (Ref:2100254)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
Julian Westwood was an instructor in Donnington Park for a while in the 1990s... I got the gift of session there as a present once and had him as a passenger with me. I scared the living crap out of him with my ultra late braking. Towards the end of the lap he said... you're not a karter are you ? I told him I was and he asked me to pull in and got an F3 driver [Henry can't remember his last name] to sit with me instead

He did the SEAT Cupras and drove a Porsche in the British GT championship as well. Terrible waste of a great talent unfortunately.
Julian seemed great in F3000 and I think he finished either 2nd or 3rd the year that unfortunately Paul Warwick lost his life. He seemed to lose the momentum after that, which as a single-seater driver you can't do and ended up doing a lot of one make championships.

From what I remember he liked a drink and IIRC there was a "problem" at a certain function and after that he never recovered career wise which was a great shame as he was/is a very quick/good driver.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 21:07 (Ref:2100300)   #13
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
From what I remember he liked a drink and IIRC there was a "problem" at a certain function and after that he never recovered career wise which was a great shame as he was/is a very quick/good driver.
It was probably when the whole PC thing started to creep into motorsport... more's the pity. On hearing that Julian's elevated a few notches in respect from my perspective.
Old 5 Jan 2008, 21:42 (Ref:2100324)   #14
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
It was probably when the whole PC thing started to creep into motorsport... more's the pity. On hearing that Julian's elevated a few notches in respect from my perspective.
From what I know and heard it's not something to move him upwards I can promise you, if anything downwards, but if no-one elses mentions/posts about it then I won't and we'll leave it at the point he could have been a very successfull driver.
Old 6 Jan 2008, 11:19 (Ref:2100537)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I was watching the 1989 BTCC review video recently, and noticed how few of the drivers were still around when I got into the series in 1993. As well as Walker and Jones, there are people like Chris Hodgetts, Graham Goode, Mike Newman, James Weaver, Frank Sytner, Phil Dowsett, Dave Brodie and others. Other than Weaver and Sytner, I know little of what any of them do now.
Dave Brodie still comes out occasionally in his very quick Sierra Cossie. Saw him at the Holly Birkett 6 hours last October, although on this occasion the programme has him driving a VW Vento!

Last edited by John Turner; 6 Jan 2008 at 11:22.
Old 11 Jan 2008, 22:59 (Ref:2104496)   #16
Caramba
Rookie

Wales
Swansea
Caramba should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Squeaker and Fluxie are both still racing, Karl made a race return in 2006 after 10 years without racing and IIRC finished 2nd or 3rd. He lives not far from Brands and gets there quite a bit to spectate but unfortunately work commitments and family meant no racing last year, but maybe this year, he might even get a co-drive with me if he plays his cards right!!
Thanks for that - I've got some great memories of the Cossies in the BTCC & Karl in particular. Hope we see him on the race tracks again. Don't suppose it'll be at at Pembrey though !
Old 12 Jan 2008, 00:30 (Ref:2104521)   #17
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramba
Thanks for that - I've got some great memories of the Cossies in the BTCC & Karl in particular. Hope we see him on the race tracks again. Don't suppose it'll be at at Pembrey though !
I don't know if Karl gets back to the mother-land much but I should be racing there on the 13th and 14th of September and it is a double-header and as I have never been there and hear good things about the circuit I'd like to go, so if Karl's free I'll ask him along.

My memories of Karl ar FF and then when he started working for my Dad and racing the Strada, great driver but mad and not very good at drinking and in the 20 years since he hasn't improved!!
Old 13 Jan 2008, 16:19 (Ref:2105298)   #18
bigears
Racer

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton
bigears should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would love to contact Sean Walker, Robb Gravett and Ian Flux to help me with my Birmingham Superprix website.

Will they take part in a racing series for the new motorsport season? So I can contact them through their racing series.
Old 13 Jan 2008, 19:18 (Ref:2105431)   #19
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigears
I would love to contact Sean Walker, Robb Gravett and Ian Flux to help me with my Birmingham Superprix website.

Will they take part in a racing series for the new motorsport season? So I can contact them through their racing series.
YHM
Old 13 Apr 2008, 20:50 (Ref:2176675)   #20
PAULMCGLADE
Rookie

PAULMCGLADE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Does Anyone Remember Ian Flux At Snetterton 24hr Race In Autodex
Merc
Old 14 Apr 2008, 08:33 (Ref:2176914)   #21
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULMCGLADE
Does Anyone Remember Ian Flux At Snetterton 24hr Race In Autodex
Merc
Was that the Ian Taylor car?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 16:44 (Ref:2179045)   #22
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Must've been 1985 or 86?

I think you're right Gregor, it probably was the Ian Taylor car, but when Fluxie drove it it might have been owned by Ricky Fagan - sure he bought either that car or the ex Eccles car for 1987 season IIRC?
Old 16 Apr 2008, 17:06 (Ref:2179078)   #23
GBRM
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Must've been 1985 or 86?

I think you're right Gregor, it probably was the Ian Taylor car, but when Fluxie drove it it might have been owned by Ricky Fagan - sure he bought either that car or the ex Eccles car for 1987 season IIRC?
Was the Merc out in '85? I'll have to watch Vintage G&T tonight now to see who was racing what during 1986 and who was in what at Snetterton as it was always a bit different.
Old 16 Apr 2008, 20:59 (Ref:2179276)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Yeah from memory Roger Eccles entered his a third of the way into the season I think and then Martin Carroll's came later on?

Then Eccles and Ian Taylor were the 190 drivers in '86, one of the cars had quite tidy Servis backing!
Old 3 Mar 2010, 14:41 (Ref:2644088)   #25
MATTinSURREY
Rookie

MATTinSURREY should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Richard Ward...

Richard Ward and I now run companies out of the same offices and we often talks about his Alfa CSCC days. The car was sold a few years ago but his passion for returning to the track remains undiminished.