Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 29 Mar 2010, 18:46 (Ref:2662936)   #1
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Serious question to IndyCar fans....

Do you think IZOD is making enough of a presence as title sponsor to gain a good return for their investment?

Particularly, I'm referring to their presumed intention: to sell clothing. The commercials they are showing do nothing to promote their product line, and show no racing action to promote the Series. Am I that out of touch with current marketing trends?

Maybe this is only relevant to U.S. viewers since we get the commercials, but all are invited to comment. For $10M a year, I am not seeing where the money is generating much buzz for the "Cars and Stars"...or the clothes.

The most prominence they have gained to my eye is thanks to Ryan Hunter-Reay's performance in the IZOD car. But he is only scheduled to run less than half the season.
Old 29 Mar 2010, 19:32 (Ref:2662971)   #2
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going from the commercials I've seen, IZOD promotes a certain life style and attaches that life style to their brand. They want people to associate that lifestyle image when they walk past an IZOD store. Seen from that perspective they don't really have to detail the clothing, just connect the brand with the glamour of racing. Though incredibly overused, the "Everythin' gonna be alright" commercial did a fine job with this (and my god it stuck). It's when they move away from the racing environment (Kanaan on a jet ski, for instance, though that still has value) that I think they're missing the target somewhat. The only question is if they think enough people watch their commercial for the investment to be justifiable. Personally, I think IndyCar would gain more by shoving IZOD's money the way of an ABC timebuy, provided IZOD's commercials were shown in the breaks. Not the whole time like now, but similiar to how companies activate their NASCAR sponsorship with their drivers during those commercials.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 11:35 (Ref:2663403)   #3
mz2k
Racer

United States
mz2k has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I've only seen IZOD commercials during an IndyCar telecast. I don't recall seeing any during an episode of Lost, Survivor, or nationally televised sporting event. Unless they've got a very narrow target audience, my answer to your question would be "no."
Old 30 Mar 2010, 12:46 (Ref:2663465)   #4
Road America Fan
Rookie

United States
Road America Fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think yes, they are making a significant presence but they are reaching out to the wrong crowd. Personally I think IZOD would be better off sponsoring golf tournaments and Indycar would be better off with a motorsports oriented title sponsor.

I'm not saying this campaign will not be successful for both but I think it could be more successful if the two had more in common.

Old 30 Mar 2010, 14:46 (Ref:2663551)   #5
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've only ever seen IZOD apparel at The Bay, an upmarket department store (its part of The Hudson's Bay Company). Definitely haven't seen any tie ins to Indy Car yet, perhaps with Toronto Indy approaching we will.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 16:57 (Ref:2663622)   #6
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks guys. mz, they actually did some spots during the NFL championship games, and I've read that they are airing on an assortment of networks. Kinda hard to see how effective the campaign is so far, though.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 18:52 (Ref:2663693)   #7
mz2k
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by JagtechOhio View Post
Thanks guys. mz, they actually did some spots during the NFL championship games, and I've read that they are airing on an assortment of networks. Kinda hard to see how effective the campaign is so far, though.
Haven't seen any, and the NFL championship games were months ago, way before they signed on as title sponsor. Maybe I'm not in their target audience, based on what I watch on TV.

I remember seeing more IZOD commercials last year, though.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 19:57 (Ref:2663748)   #8
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
The Izod fashion show/ press conference introducing the title sponsorship was Nov. 4, 2009.

You haven't seen the commercials much, that's what I didn't know. Thanks.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 20:26 (Ref:2663776)   #9
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I watch races via the indycar.com web site, with commentary provided by IMS radio. The only exposure I've had while watching a race is a voice over, between the race commentary and commercial breaks, that announces "The Izod Indy Car Series" and the race venue. I didn't notice Izod advertise once during the St. Pete's race but loads of Danica and Peak motor oil. There was some banter about who Izod were targetting but it was unclear if it was a commercial or a pre-recorded interview.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 30 Mar 2010 at 20:33.
Old 30 Mar 2010, 20:39 (Ref:2663797)   #10
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Well, now I have read this thread I know what IZOD does as a company.

Up until this point, all I knew was IZOD were the title sponsor (well, I assumed it was title sponsor).

I had actually assumed it might have been some car parts firm, or something.......

I guess their lack of advertising what they do has worked in a way, since a thread has been created discussing the company and their product line...and got at least one extra person now knowing what they are about.......
Old 30 Mar 2010, 22:56 (Ref:2663875)   #11
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
What Jimmy is talking about, and a guy on another site who raised the same perspective about the "lifestyle" advertising, is what I think marketers call "transfer technique". We're cool, wear what we wear, watch us race, you can be cool too.

He added the following:

The direct ROI [return on investment] is only one piece of the value puzzle. Take a look at a google trends graph:

http://www.google.com/trends?q=izod%...ate=ytd&sort=0

The "news reference volume" factors into the overall ROI equation as well. For the most part, every time IndyCar is mentioned (in the news), IZOD also gets a mention.

What that shows me is not much buzz has been generated, for Izod or for the Series, in spite of the $10M plus annual investment which included expensive commercials and air time buys. $2M or $3M of that likely went straight to fund Hunter-Reay's IZOD car, which only gets him in less than half the events.

If this deal doesn't sell them a lot of new IndyCar shirts (most of which don't seem to be available yet), I don't see why Izod stays for six years.

This very small survey of "hardcore" fans here shows that the advertising campaign has not been too effective yet. How it will sell Izod a lot of clothes, or attract new viewers to IndyCar, isn't clear to me. Hopefully more will share their input.

There were a fair amount of commercials aired, beginning in December '09, to promote the first race. Sao Paulo drew a 0.4 rating on Versus in a favorable time slot with non-competitive programming. Even with a peak audience and the Direct TV households now added, that still doesn't break 1.0. Chicken feed.

What's going to change that trend to show Izod some ROI?
Old 30 Mar 2010, 23:11 (Ref:2663884)   #12
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with you Dutton, hadn't heard of them until now, and I now know a bit about them. Don't think I'm their target audience though since they don't operate in the UK.

Could they be waiting for the 500 until they release all thier indycar stuff. I imagine this race will get them a fair bit of coverage.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 15:53 (Ref:2664242)   #13
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Jimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJimmy Magnusson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road America Fan View Post
I think yes, they are making a significant presence but they are reaching out to the wrong crowd. Personally I think IZOD would be better off sponsoring golf tournaments and Indycar would be better off with a motorsports oriented title sponsor.

I'm not saying this campaign will not be successful for both but I think it could be more successful if the two had more in common.
IZOD's target market is mostly 18-34-year-old (-ish) males, so IndyCar is a sensible platform considering who watches it. If it had more viewers it'd be well worth it, but I'm not sure right now. You are right in saying though that golf makes sense because of the same reason lubricants makes sense in IndyCar.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:20 (Ref:2664261)   #14
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I would have thought car racing is a little more interesting to males aged to 18-34 than golf.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 16:46 (Ref:2664272)   #15
Jimmy Magnusson
Veteran

Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
I would have thought car racing is a little more interesting to males aged to 18-34 than golf.
And that's why they're here. But the point RAF is making (I think) is that in golf you can show your lineup in a more efficient way, by having the competitors wear them. The target market is far more important, though.
Old 31 Mar 2010, 17:41 (Ref:2664297)   #16
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Izod is a division of Phillips Van Heusen. PVH just bought Tommy Hilfiger, and also a company which will be debuting a new line of golf clothing this fall.

They spent $10M on a campaign to sponsor the NFL Hall of Fame selection process, and used the program to draw consumers to the J.C. Penney retailers and website to promote PVH merchandise (high-end dress shirts and ties are their staples).

Point is that they are HUGE, and the Izod title sponsorship was a low cost effort for them...a bit of a gamble, in that a small pile of chips could reap big rewards if the Series gains significant increases in exposure.

Or, they could feel as though they have drawn some bad cards and fold their hand.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 00:10 (Ref:2664544)   #17
mz2k
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
Eighteen to 34 year old males are more likely to take up golf than drive race cars.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 04:14 (Ref:2664574)   #18
Canada ALMS fan
Veteran

Canada
Calgary, Canada
Canada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCanada ALMS fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's not about them racing cars, it's about sponsors resonating with the 18-34 year old that watches and enjoys racing. Sadly I will only be part of that demographic for a few more months.
Race fans are extremely loyal to brands that sponsor motorsports according to multiple studies over the past 10-15 years.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 08:30 (Ref:2664646)   #19
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
No one ever said it was about them racing cars per se but that doesn't mean they don't want to or aspire to become a race car driver. It's about associating the image of a sport like car racing, with a successful life style and promoting the things one needs in order to attain that life style, like clothes, watches, shaving, etc.; that's what advertising and marketing is all about. Go to the Izod home page and you've a got a picture of a guy, who is very likely to be in the middle of that age group, wearing Izod's clothes and a race car; nice car it is too, it happens to be a Ferrari 312Ba.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 1 Apr 2010 at 08:45.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 10:47 (Ref:2664729)   #20
mz2k
Racer

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It's not about them racing cars, it's about sponsors resonating with the 18-34 year old that watches and enjoys racing.
That's what I don't get. It seems to me that the 18-34 year old males who watch golf are more likely to buy IZOD's products, than those who follow Indy Car racing (or any form of motorsport for that matter).

Unless of course, PVH decided that IZOD is the "motorsport" brand.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 11:08 (Ref:2664737)   #21
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by mz2k View Post
That's what I don't get. It seems to me that the 18-34 year old males who watch golf are more likely to buy IZOD's products, than those who follow Indy Car racing (or any form of motorsport for that matter).

Unless of course, PVH decided that IZOD is the "motorsport" brand.
If you go to their website it's geared to motorsport, with the Ferrari on the home page and their Race To The Party campaign, featuring Tony Kanaan, Marco Andretti, Dan Wheldon and Ryan Hunter-Reay.

I wouldn't be surprised if golf has taken a dent because of the Tiger Woods business. Also I couldn't name a hip, cool, trendy, young golfer for all the tea in China.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 16:00 (Ref:2664916)   #22
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
I wish that was the case, Tiger Woods is playing in his first event thus year next Sunday...the final round if the Masters is on opposite the IndyCar race. The Masters wll draw a 10.0, Barber will draw 0.3.
Old 1 Apr 2010, 17:14 (Ref:2664976)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada ALMS fan View Post
It's not about them racing cars, it's about sponsors resonating with the 18-34 year old that watches and enjoys racing. Sadly I will only be part of that demographic for a few more months.
Race fans are extremely loyal to brands that sponsor motorsports according to multiple studies over the past 10-15 years.
I think part of it can be attributed to the fact that everything in the world is cyclical. All sports have their ups and downs.

For people aged 18-34 here in the USA for almost all of them motorsport=Nascar.

And for a lot of the Y generation the extreme sports are more of an interest. It's easy for them to get a snowboard, bmx bike or skateboard and mimic the big stars. Golf is the same, anyone out there can go get a set of clubs and play all over the USA.

Indycar is a fuddy duddy sport.

It's not accessible as a sport. In other words to go out and even get started in karts or formula ford, it's gotten into hundreds of thousands a year. Almost no one 18-34 can afford that.

Also the last remaining fans consist of 1950's hold overs clinging to tony george or a select few left from CART hoping and wishing things will turn around. All those folks are older and the younger generation got lost in the last 15 years of the split.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 02:02 (Ref:2665203)   #24
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
Star, nice to see you back.

As for competitive driving, almost no one will ever get the chance. The importance is to establish relevance with younger audiences, and that is not being done effectively.

Surely there are ways. Tony Kanaan in a polo shirt on a jet ski ain't one of them.
Old 2 Apr 2010, 03:27 (Ref:2665219)   #25
SPRacer
Racer

United States
St. Petersburg, FL
SPRacer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think it helped matters when every time the IZOD model in victory lane draped the IZOD towel over Will Power's shoulder, he'd rip it off and throw it on the ground. Please tell me someone else noticed that!!!!

She did, however, do a good job of standing right behind him wearing a big smile and an IZOD racing suit.