Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > 24 Heures du Mans

Old 14 Jul 2009, 07:51 (Ref:2501384)   #1
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Guarding one's valuables at Le Mans, a must these days...

We all know that at any big event,be it a rockfestival,a crowded hot summersday at the beach or in this case the Le Mans 24 hours,one should take care of ones valuables.
Put your camera in the locked car during sleeping hours,no fat wallet right next to the tents zipper entrance,etc.

Logical as this may seem,I allways remind our fellowcampers of this for I too have been the victim of a "tentburglary" at Le Mans.
So far,so obvious.

I start this thread however because of developments in the last few years of our years biggest and most loved event.

Last year,at the end of the Sunday afternoon,a camping group of french criminals was revealed at camping Bleu. The two tents and one car they had,were literarly stacked to the roofs with stolen goods. Mountainbikes,generators,stuffed weekendbags,helmets and all other kinds of valuables. These lowlifes were exposed however and were lucky the gendarmerie reacted quickly to arrest them,otherwise the angry mob that'd gathered would've probably had their dogs dangly bits for diner...

This year a group of lads who'd been our neighbours at Bleu last year,came and visited us at Houx annexe. They were again camping at Bleu and had their generator stolen the first night they were there.

This year our camp was hit as well. First a midi off road bike was stolen(lock cut with the right tool)when we were at the track for the race start.
Then afterwards,two cars had there paint scratched. One Nissan 350Z received a scratch of about a foot on the side(definetly a key job) and one replacement Mercedes B-class was scratched over the entire lenght,for which this firsttimer had to pay €850,- to have it repaired...
To top it of,someone had nicked the grill badge of my mates Audi RS6.

What are we going to do about this increase in crimminallity at Le Mans,gentlemen?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 08:31 (Ref:2501396)   #2
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Short of lodging a complaint to the ACO , theres nothing more to do .

Maybe with enough signatures , they might post a few more security guards around the sites . But its hard for the security to tell exactly who owns what .

There was security guards and dogs guarding the bogs in Houx this year , or at least in that general area .
Old 14 Jul 2009, 10:06 (Ref:2501440)   #3
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry to here about your problems.

I dont feel it has got any worse over the recent years, the pikeys have been invading the sites since I have been going for will over 25 years. What has changed is the amount of stuff they can target.

Generators, mini moto's etc have now become 'the must' have items on site, as these items are high value, and hard to secure then clearly loses will happen. Whats also clear is that its not just the locals that nick stuff. fellow campers can also be light fingered.

People sometimes feel agrieved at fellow campers as well, if you party till the early hours with a generator pounding away 24 hours then some people will feel justified in taking 'revenge'.

This year we only lost two items, a deck chair and a a pair of barbie tongs. both items unlikey to be of value to pikeys so we feel to blame was closer to home.

They was most much higher security visable around the site we felt this year, there was a panel van with guards touring the site most of the time.

The best advice is to get to know your neighbours.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:46 (Ref:2501506)   #4
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic View Post
a pair of barbie thongs
Where did you get them please ?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:17 (Ref:2501534)   #5
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
i have been lucky in the past but as always lucky can be helped by picking the right campsite and taking care to not make it easy for those after your goods, we take very little that we could not afford to loss and as already mentioned get talking with those camped around you, there is usually someone around and if they see anyone that they don't know around your pitch hopefully they will scare them away before they have time to do anything.
You should also not be afraid of questioning people who are standing around if they are up o no good they will move on pretty fast, I know that just moves the problem on but even in france lynching suspects is not always approved of by the local police.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 13:19 (Ref:2501581)   #6
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Badger View Post
Where did you get them please ?
Ken had them in his bag.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:27 (Ref:2501710)   #7
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
In the 10 years I've been going, we've never had a thing stolen. It's a shame to hear all of this.

As for what to do? Well, the British reaction would be to write a formal letter to the ACO expressing our dissapointment, and that if something is not done, we will be very very cross with them.

That doesn't work.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 10:03 (Ref:2502113)   #8
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
Our neighbours genny disappeared, but as it had been the subject of heated debate with their other neighbours, we suspect it wasn't 'stolen', merely 'removed so it stopped being so noisy at 2AM"...

I relaxed a little when I saw our other nieghbours, who were displaying more money than us, left their tent wide open on several occasions! I reckoned on them, or the guys over the way with the 360 Stradale, as being more popular to hit than us!
Old 15 Jul 2009, 10:23 (Ref:2502130)   #9
grantp
Subscriber
Veteran

grantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridgrantp should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I noticed yesterday that one of the Military Surplus Equipment sales sites has rolls of razor wire available. Could that help?

Old 15 Jul 2009, 22:16 (Ref:2502502)   #10
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by grantp View Post
I noticed yesterday that one of the Military Surplus Equipment sales sites has rolls of razor wire available. Could that help?

Yeah,and then a couple of those "Achtung: Minen!" signs.
Old 15 Jul 2009, 22:24 (Ref:2502505)   #11
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim the Grey View Post
Our neighbours genny disappeared, but as it had been the subject of heated debate with their other neighbours, we suspect it wasn't 'stolen', merely 'removed so it stopped being so noisy at 2AM"...
The words I'd qualify such people in are not allowed to be used on this forum...

Honestly,if one gets irritated by a generator at Le Mans,to such a degree that it justifies steeling,one simply doesn't belong at the place.
At least have the godgiven honour to negotiate a suitable solution for both parties. Were talking expensive equipment here and there are MANY at Le Mans.

Oh,and the small matter of over fifty VERY LOUD racing cars during some 35 hours of the event...
Old 16 Jul 2009, 12:12 (Ref:2502720)   #12
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTfour View Post
The words I'd qualify such people in are not allowed to be used on this forum...

Honestly,if one gets irritated by a generator at Le Mans,to such a degree that it justifies steeling,one simply doesn't belong at the place.
At least have the godgiven honour to negotiate a suitable solution for both parties. Were talking expensive equipment here and there are MANY at Le Mans.

Oh,and the small matter of over fifty VERY LOUD racing cars during some 35 hours of the event...
I get very irritated by generators running all the time. If people want to have one, fine I understand that they are useful, but sadly some think its ok to run them all the time.

I know Le mans is noisy, and during the race a generator does not make any differance. However, on wednesday, thursday or friday if a generator is running at 2am say and the owners do not respect the wishes of those around them, then if something happens to cure the problem then so be it.

TBH I sometimes think as the same mini moto rides by for the 84th time for no apparant reason other than to kick up more dust and be hazard to people walking, the world would be a happy place if that was put beyond use for a while.
Old 16 Jul 2009, 18:08 (Ref:2502903)   #13
The Badger
Veteran

Quote:
TBH I sometimes think as the same mini moto rides by for the 84th time for no apparant reason other than to kick up more dust and be hazard to people walking, the world would be a happy place if that was put beyond use for a while.
We saw that dude come off it at the Houx annex end of Houx camping ground . He limped away while his friend took the hog home . **** !!!
Old 16 Jul 2009, 21:15 (Ref:2503004)   #14
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Fact is that there are noisy things like mini motorbikes and generators all over the Le Mans partygrounds. And remember,they are partygrounds!
Many people see this as their number one feast of the year and make the most of it. If one want's a quiet night's sleep on the thursdaynight,I suggest a nice hotel or private campsite in one of the further removed villages.

Nobody wants to be harrased by kamikaze minibike/motopeds/cars when having a good time there,that still does not justify theft!
Old 16 Jul 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2503023)   #15
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I stayed in a private campground this year. Were these type of campgrounds popular 25 years ago or are they increasingly so, for people that want safe and secure camp areas?
Old 17 Jul 2009, 06:02 (Ref:2503104)   #16
Le Vieux
Veteran

Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!Le Vieux has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
I get very irritated by generators running all the time. If people want to have one, fine I understand that they are useful, but sadly some think its ok to run them all the time.

I know Le mans is noisy, and during the race a generator does not make any differance. However, on wednesday, thursday or friday if a generator is running at 2am say and the owners do not respect the wishes of those around them, then if something happens to cure the problem then so be it.

One of several reasons why I don't stay at the circuit and have opted for peace, quiet and security. Yes, Le Mans = party time, but bad manners are unacceptable whatever the occasion.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 06:49 (Ref:2503111)   #17
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
Fact is that there are noisy things like mini motorbikes and generators all over the Le Mans partygrounds. And remember,they are partygrounds!
Many people see this as their number one feast of the year and make the most of it. If one want's a quiet night's sleep on the thursdaynight,I suggest a nice hotel or private campsite in one of the further removed villages.

!
Many people also Le mans as a motor race, sure party but respect is needed.

Those that show none can expect to become targets themselves. Not saying its right, big or clever, but do admit to dark thoughts about our neighbours one year whose attitude to the various people around them was very unhelpful if not down right rude.

I for one was not suprised when it was discoverd the pull cord on their genny was cut.

We do now leave the sites on Sunday for a decent meal and comfy bed, but dont see why I should have to be instructed to not stay other nights so the minority can do whatever they please.

GT Four do you run your genny for 24 hours?
Old 17 Jul 2009, 07:34 (Ref:2503130)   #18
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:

Those that show none can expect to become targets themselves. Not saying its right, big or clever, but do admit to dark thoughts about our neighbours one year whose attitude to the various people around them was very unhelpful if not down right rude.

I for one was not suprised when it was discoverd the pull cord on their genny was cut.

We do now leave the sites on Sunday for a decent meal and comfy bed, but dont see why I should have to be instructed to not stay other nights so the minority can do whatever they please.

We generally turn our genny off about midnight - by that time the fridge is cold enough to keep the beer cold until we turn in.

However - It doesnt really bother me that people keep their gennys running longer I am generally tired enough each night to sleep through it.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 11:02 (Ref:2503220)   #19
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
These guys were nice enough, but their genny WAS loud... And it was powering a music system turned to LOUD...

I wasn't THAT fussed, I can sleep through a Vulcan doing touch n gos! But they did do it till late, a lot.

As said elsewhere, the 'wasp farting in a jar' scooters should be crushed on sight! They do lap, after lap, after lap. Eventually, they drive you nuts!
Old 17 Jul 2009, 14:31 (Ref:2503317)   #20
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:

Exactly,especially when equipment of many hundreds,or in the case of cars many thousands of euro's are concerned! Will you start throwing rocks at the Corvette's or try to pull out their sparkplug cable's when possible?

Have there been friendly requests to turn down the noise first? Or were there only cross faces and frustrated glances to the people in question?
Too often,people start irritating themselves about small things,ignite the same feelings with others and are mad or unreasonable even before one of them has even tried to find a grown up solution...

That is simply the act of a cowardly criminal. If I spot someone doing this,even if it's not our own generator,I will brake on of his fingers.(if he's lucky...)
Thanks for reminding me to bring enough replacement cord to counter act such lowlife actions,by the way.

Hahaa,the minority? You make me laugh. I don't know were you've been camping,but at Houx annexe,there were plenty of party's to find.
Nobody instructs you to stay anywere else,just don't irritate your little minds on others having a good time and stop trying to justify theft and vandalism on other people's valuables!

Ofcourse not,but you can bet your sweet little toupet that we won't shut it down at exactly midnight on the Thursday,Friday or Saturday nights.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 16:23 (Ref:2503383)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:

Exactly,especially when equipment of many hundreds,or in the case of cars many thousands of euro's are concerned! Will you start throwing rocks at the Corvette's or try to pull out their sparkplug cable's when possible?

No why would I? that make no sense!

Have there been friendly requests to turn down the noise first? Or were there only cross faces and frustrated glances to the people in question?
Too often,people start irritating themselves about small things,ignite the same feelings with others and are mad or unreasonable even before one of them has even tried to find a grown up solution...

Agree, if we have an issue, we will always speak to those first, and only once has an soloution not been reached.

That is simply the act of a cowardly criminal. If I spot someone doing this,even if it's not our own generator,I will brake on of his fingers.(if he's lucky...) Nice
Thanks for reminding me to bring enough replacement cord to counter act such lowlife actions,by the way.

Wrong, see above, the aggresive attutude shown when a polite request was made, showed these people to beyond reason.

As i said I dont think it was the right soloution as it invites retaliation, and that may be directed towards an innocent person, but it did solve the problem.
As for cowardly I dont think so. Direct action when faced by mindless pricks is often very brave. (cutting the pull cord is not the only way to stop a genny, more permarmant soloutions can also be used i would have thought?)

Hahaa,the minority? You make me laugh. I don't know were you've been camping,but at Houx annexe,there were plenty of party's to find.
Nobody instructs you to stay anywere else,just don't irritate your little minds on others having a good time and stop trying to justify theft and vandalism on other people's valuables!

This year we where on the Annexe and had no problems whatsoever with any of those around us. I dont know what Sunday is like now as I have already said we now go. Sure there are plenty of partys always have been, believe it or not I have even been to a few!

However its easy to justify 'putting beyond use', Its not everyones idea of fun being kept awake all night, i am not talking about midnight curfew, but 2 or 3 am is not alot of fun to those around you. Sure party on but respect those around you, if not there is the chance you will become a target by one of those brave souls who dare to stand up for themselves

Quote:
Ofcourse not,but you can bet your sweet little toupet that we won't shut it down at exactly midnight on the Thursday,Friday or Saturday nights.
Better take plenty of pull cord then, maybe a spare genny or 2 as well. btw, I would think you are a reasonable guy, therefore if it was clear you were ****ing of those around, then you do something about it.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 18:07 (Ref:2503436)   #22
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
Quote:
Better take plenty of pull cord then, maybe a spare genny or 2 as well. btw, I would think you are a reasonable guy, therefore if it was clear you were ****ing of those around, then you do something about it.
I am a very reasonable guy,that's why it p****s me of so much that our cars have been paintdamaged for many hundreds of euro's! I can't believe we made too much or too antisocial noise. Our camp is generally known for it's hospitallity and warm welcome to everyone. (Most of the times,our neighbours "borrough" power from our generator for a few euro's,for it's a big,(and thus silent)unit.)

As for deffinetly putting our genny out of order,mostly about 5 of us are mechanics with a lot of engine/electrical experience and we allways carry enough tools and spares to basically be able to fix anything. On top of that,when the generator is shut down,we put it in the locked van.

This still leaves the thievery. Wouldn't it be a good idea to actually try to appeal to the ACO and have them increase the number of security units,especially during the time 2 hours before,to three hours after the start of the race?
Old 18 Jul 2009, 07:24 (Ref:2503675)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Quote:
I am a very reasonable guy,that's why it p****s me of so much that our cars have been paintdamaged for many hundreds of euro's! I can't believe we made too much or too antisocial noise. Our camp is generally known for it's hospitallity and warm welcome to everyone. (Most of the times,our neighbours "borrough" power from our generator for a few euro's,for it's a big,(and thus silent)unit.)

As for deffinetly putting our genny out of order,mostly about 5 of us are mechanics with a lot of engine/electrical experience and we allways carry enough tools and spares to basically be able to fix anything. On top of that,when the generator is shut down,we put it in the locked van.

This still leaves the thievery. Wouldn't it be a good idea to actually try to appeal to the ACO and have them increase the number of security units,especially during the time 2 hours before,to three hours after the start of the race?
I very much doubt you where in any way to blame for what happened to your cars, The same sort of thing happens every day on the streets, sometimes its jealousy others its what passes as a joke.

A few years ago I was told of someone who had the car scratched at le mans. it was a diesel Audi, The attack was witnessed and the culpret overheard boosting that he ****ing hated diesels. When you are dealing with that sort of mentallity there is very little you can do to protect your stuff.

The ACO not a police force and all they can do is hire in private security.

This is often a red rag to a ball and without powers of arrest the security teams are little more than window dressing, but it would deter the pikeys.

However they was more security than I have ever seen before around the place and when I got back about 15mins after the finish were touring the annexe, but the sites are huge and with many other needs the local police are pretty streched I would have thought.

We have a rule, never take to Le Mans what you can't afford to lose.
Old 18 Jul 2009, 17:05 (Ref:2503823)   #24
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that's why I always leave my head at home

Ciao Marco
Old 20 Mar 2011, 21:26 (Ref:2850244)   #25
JoshW
Rookie

JoshW should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Reviving an old thread:

I will be attending my first Le Mans this year. I am coming from Sydney Australia, and this will be the midpoint in a backpacking holiday around Europe.

I am camping at the Porsche Curves, through Travel Destinations. I was just wondering how safe this area is? The stories I’ve heard about thievery and pikies makes me a little worried as I wont have a car to lock my belongings in. My backpack will essentially be my home, and to have it stolen would be pretty disastrous.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions? Or am I just being over worried lol

Cheers,

Josh