Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 May 2011, 05:29 (Ref:2879074)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The return of Williams-Renault?

Linky

Reports that Renault are looking to expand its engine operation, with Williams a possible candidate for their powerplants.

Good news for the sport, as it shows Renaults commitment to stay as an engine supplier at the least, and good news for Williams, the Renaults may not be the fastest engine but they are virtually bulletproof...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 12 May 2011, 06:12 (Ref:2879086)   #2
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seems a win-win situation for both Williams and Renault. Renault would get more data in terms of their 1.6T engines and Williams would get as you said Chatters, virtually bulletproof motors. Plus, extra credit for bringing back the old Williams-Renault name.
Old 12 May 2011, 07:06 (Ref:2879107)   #3
AussieTimmeh
Racer

Australia
Newcastle
AussieTimmeh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my opinion, old names and combinations of names that were famous in the past and trying to be revitalised mean very little, other than trying to squeeze a few more dollars out of it. Lotus (the green one) are still not scoring points, the retro paint job on the black Lotus Renault hasn't improved their results, Schumacher is going nowhere, and with or without Renault engines, Williams can't seem to stop the rot.

I appreciate history but that's what it remains for me - history. If it gives underperforming teams something to feel good about, then good for them, but they aren't the ones on the podium and going places.

All the bringing back of old things hasn't added any extra value to them, instead they get a few press articles and then proceed to devalue the relationship.

From a purely technical perspective, is the Cosworth engine really the biggest of Williams problems? I can't see a change to the Renault engines fixing anything.

Pretty negative point of view I guess, but I stand by it.

Actually I'll add a positive - I agree that Renaults commitment to the sport is fantastic, and hopefully if/when engine regulations change, they can finally get rid of the engine freeze problem that has kept the horsepower in the Renault engine down.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:17 (Ref:2879147)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieTimmeh View Post
From a purely technical perspective, is the Cosworth engine really the biggest of Williams problems? I can't see a change to the Renault engines fixing anything.
Cosworth know from their own data that their engine would be winning races if it had been bolted into the back of a Red Bull/Ferrari/McLaren.

It's a reliable and powerful engine.

The one thing that is stopping Williams F1 from winning races is Williams F1.

Last edited by Marbot; 12 May 2011 at 08:22.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:45 (Ref:2879167)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If this happens and they retain the current livery it would be sexual. That said, so would Williams simply remaining afloat.

Everyone seems very confident that the Renault motor will be bulletproof btw. No guarantee that will be the case under the new regulations and Renault did once attempt to pioneer the 111 degree V10, which was not only hideously unreliable but had less power than Nick Clegg.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:54 (Ref:2879171)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I remember that Renaults first Turbo F1 cars were affectionately known as "The Yellow Kettles", and for obvious reasons.
Old 12 May 2011, 08:58 (Ref:2879174)   #7
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
On the other hand, we have to acknowledge their first foray into the V10 era in 1989 was outstandingly impressive and soon knocked the dominant Honda off their perch.

I guess if you wanted to choose a partner for the new regs you could do far worse than Renault. And probably not any better.
Old 12 May 2011, 09:03 (Ref:2879177)   #8
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
1989 was the year that everyone understood that a V10 was the best compromise between Ferrari's V12 and Cosworths V8. Obvious really!
Old 12 May 2011, 09:19 (Ref:2879182)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
But who are the other possibilities alluded to by the Renault gumbies to try and throw speculation into the mix?

Surely not HRT or Virgin?

I wonder whether STR might be eyeing off a switch so the 4 cars can be the same
Old 12 May 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2879212)   #10
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
McLaren? Why not? They've already tried one French en...oh...that's why not.
Old 12 May 2011, 20:52 (Ref:2879594)   #11
stripedcat
Veteran

stripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridstripedcat should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Can only be good news for Williams. The Renault is a pretty good engine. It is probably the second best after the Mercedes, at the moment.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:35 (Ref:2917926)   #12
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williams-Renault back in 2012

Originally only saw this on Twitter, thankfully there's a bit more info here - http://www.attwilliams.com/news/view/1859

This makes me happy, if only for the return of the name
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:44 (Ref:2917936)   #13
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregc View Post
Originally only saw this on Twitter, thankfully there's a bit more info here - http://www.attwilliams.com/news/view/1859

This makes me happy, if only for the return of the name
Brilliant news, reminds us of Williams heyday, lets hope that this along with other changes that are being made will get them back where they belong..
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:45 (Ref:2917937)   #14
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Confirmed!

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92843
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 4 Jul 2011, 13:51 (Ref:2917942)   #15
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
If they could just get Adrian Newey to come back.........

P.S. I feel a merge coming on.

Last edited by Marbot; 4 Jul 2011 at 14:00.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 14:42 (Ref:2917978)   #16
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Can u feel it ? Good.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:06 (Ref:2917991)   #17
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
They've had seven/eight years of false dawns if winning races is your bag.

Quite 'Frankly' if they hadn't scored this coup I would've foresaw a slow demise but now they have renault in the bag this could be their ticket back to the top.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:09 (Ref:2917993)   #18
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It's going to take a lot more that a Renault engine but it is a step in the right direction, a good moral booster..
Old 4 Jul 2011, 15:22 (Ref:2918000)   #19
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
just short of finding it sexual i am still pretty excited by the news.

i hope AussieTimmeh's fears that this is just an attempt to cash in on old glory does not prove to be true, but his point it does make me think that in light of Williams current form vs Red Bull's current form, sharing the same engine as the reigning top team is not that successful of a route to take in order to overtake Red Bull. in other words is this kind of like having an engine deal with Ferrari? or maybe thats also just a cynical way to look at things.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:29 (Ref:2918103)   #20
Day
Rookie

United Kingdom
Hampshire
Day should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark Webber back to Williams in return?
This would free up a spare Redbull seat for dare I say it... Lewis Hamilton
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2918108)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It's going to take a lot more that a Renault engine but it is a step in the right direction, a good moral booster..
Williams' problem is most definitely not the engine. Though this has a warm nostaligic feeling to it... it will take something major elsewhere in their aero/chassis for a renaissance, if indeed a renaissance ever happens.

By the way, how has their share price been doing ?
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:37 (Ref:2918116)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Williams' problem is most definitely not the engine. Though this has a warm nostaligic feeling to it... it will take something major elsewhere in their aero/chassis for a renaissance, if indeed a renaissance ever happens.
Head pointed out that switching from Cosworth to Renault was no guarantee of success, but would remove one question mark over Williams's package.

"A lot of these engines are very close in their ultimate performance, some of their characteristics will vary quite a bit," he said.

"With Team Lotus one can see changing with engine, it didn't light their performance up.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92850

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
By the way, how has their share price been doing ?
28% down, was the last I heard.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:40 (Ref:2918118)   #23
nobster
Veteran

Netherlands
Eindhoven, de gekste!!!!
nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!nobster has a real shot at the podium!
good to see them working on a better future, hope all new puzzle pieces will fit at williams.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2918127)   #24
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's all very nostalgic. But the nostalgic 'piece' that they really need is currently doing sterling service at Red Bull.
Old 4 Jul 2011, 18:59 (Ref:2918129)   #25
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
It's all very nostalgic. But the nostalgic 'piece' that they really need is currently doing sterling service at Red Bull.
He is the common denominator to success.