Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:08 (Ref:3027006)   #1
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Petrov replaces Trulli at Caterham for 2012

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97552

Well...I'm actually quite happy with this...
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:14 (Ref:3027008)   #2
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think trulli should look back upon his career and hold his head high, just like rubens, the bloke has had a good long run since 1997, and its time to let another youngster have a go........also I'm convinced this is more about selling caterhams in Russia, its a massive growth market for the whole auto industry........I bet this deal was also somewhat under pressure from Bernie, as he will want the continued growth of viewing figures from Russia, not to mentuion the potential of a GP there, possibly :-/
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:17 (Ref:3027012)   #3
p-matt
Veteran

p-matt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't particularly rate either driver, but probably the right call given that Trulli has been treading water in F1 for a few years now.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:22 (Ref:3027016)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Hardly a surprise, shame it was dragged out for so long!!
Old 17 Feb 2012, 10:32 (Ref:3027020)   #5
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
yeah, lovely guy as trulli is i'm glad to see the back of him on the f1 circuit. i don't know how they functioned with someone quite so negative and miserable in the team last year whilst the power steering wasn't working for him.

it's obviously all about the chequebook (and how long it took to clear) but i don't think petrov is going to get anything less out of the car than trulli had done.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 11:56 (Ref:3027047)   #6
OZ_HCR32
Veteran

OZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridOZ_HCR32 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not very impressed by Fernandes and all his talk about moving up the grid. I respect what he has done to date and the direction he is taking the team but to sack a known, quality driver for a guy you have not even tested? I would have accepted it better if they gave him kms at the second test to see how he compared...

As is its all about the money and the hope he can do the job at Caterham. I like Petrov and stoked he has a seat...but I still think its a bonhead move for a team that is looking to up the pace this year
Old 17 Feb 2012, 12:05 (Ref:3027053)   #7
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I get the feeling the new car really isn't that impressive, regardless of what they've said to the contrary. MG's move upstairs (out of the way) and the lack of pace last week doesn't look good. I know that it's just testing, but, this team is very pro-PR and if the car had the pace to run in the 20's/19's bracket I personally would have expected them to have banged in a glory run - just for the positive PR spin to come off the back of that.

I hope I'm wrong as it would be good to see them fighting it out with the Sauber's/Williams', but i'm not overly hopeful...
Old 17 Feb 2012, 13:42 (Ref:3027098)   #8
p-matt
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider View Post
I get the feeling the new car really isn't that impressive, regardless of what they've said to the contrary. MG's move upstairs (out of the way) and the lack of pace last week doesn't look good. I know that it's just testing, but, this team is very pro-PR and if the car had the pace to run in the 20's/19's bracket I personally would have expected them to have banged in a glory run - just for the positive PR spin to come off the back of that.

I hope I'm wrong as it would be good to see them fighting it out with the Sauber's/Williams', but i'm not overly hopeful...
I agree, especially the bit in bold. That's why I cannot warm to the team because they have raised expectations very high and not delivered.

Kovalainen has been awesome, but besides him I don't find anyone else in the team likeable at all.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 14:19 (Ref:3027120)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
I think that it's way too early to tell who is fast and who is slow. But Caterham were one of the teams that were smiling at the Jerez test.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 14:22 (Ref:3027122)   #10
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
It was time Jarno....

I like Petrov and glad he has the drive...
Old 17 Feb 2012, 14:27 (Ref:3027125)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith View Post
It was time Jarno....

I like Petrov and glad he has the drive...
Yep, pretty much agree with that.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 14:29 (Ref:3027126)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Fernandez: "It was not an easy decision to bring Vitaly in to replace Jarno, but it was one we made to ensure that we give fresh impetus across the whole team and with a realistic eye on the global economic market."

Says it all for me.

Simple fact of F1 life is that it's money and not the driver that makes the car go faster.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 15:16 (Ref:3027132)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
One for another, can't see what difference would/could make, but, hey, that's life... "global economic market" that's the new excuse, or say, the new reality.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 17:28 (Ref:3027184)   #14
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
First time since 1970 that there hasn't been an Italian driver on the grid. That's a bit sad.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 18:27 (Ref:3027207)   #15
adam46
Racer

United Kingdom
Isle Of Wight, UK.
adam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridadam46 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Wow that statistic is an eye opener.

Now Vitaly for god sake, don't air any dis-like for the Power Steering.

It only matters if it has a motor...
Old 17 Feb 2012, 18:42 (Ref:3027213)   #16
wolfhound
Veteran

Ireland
wolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridwolfhound should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbot View Post
First time since 1970 that there hasn't been an Italian driver on the grid. That's a bit sad.
But there are three French drivers after non since Sebastian Bourdais left.

A number of years ago I think there were 7 Italians in F1 at the same time but I stand to be corrected.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 19:42 (Ref:3027249)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfhound View Post
But there are three French drivers after non since Sebastian Bourdais left.
Which isn't really that long ago.

When will the next Italian driver enter F1 if no one is currently interested in backing their career choice?

We should not be too surprised that if in the future we see lots of Chinese, Indian and Russian drivers being taken on at the expense of almost anyone else. Perhaps then we may realise that having teams spending many millions on producing two F1 cars isn't really what most fans want to see.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 19:45 (Ref:3027251)   #18
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
i feel like the italian motorsports body (csai or something?) needs to support its young drivers a bit more, if only to get the successful ones all together more and promote the sport to businesses. the french have the ffsa equipe de france scheme which if nothing creates the impression of support. they have been lucky in that vergne is outrageously talented and was picked up when red bull were looking to expand their young driver pool, and bianchi was brought up on a kart track and is of a strong racing dynasty. grosjean managed to cling onto the rdd scheme at the right time - which was great if you could afford to stay involved. pic has been part of the rdd and has good family backing. so what are the rich young italians doing nowadays if they're not karting and racing?

i suppose ferrari are picking up the slack now, but they haven't really found anyone mindbendingly brilliant. and they've got foreign drivers leading the thing in bianchi and perez.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 19:59 (Ref:3027259)   #19
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Italy is the world centre for the karting industry, and has been for years. Furthermore, there's never been a shortage of Italian drivers in plum works kart seats... even to this day. A number of these kart manufacturers [e.g. Tony] are on an industrial scale, arguably larger than organizations like Dallara, and not only have first pick of the talent, the also have the wherewithal to get these drivers further up the ladder. Maybe that's where the spotlight ought to be shone in Italy.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 22:38 (Ref:3027342)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not that Petrov was any great pick, but it was time for Trulli to call it a day and give other people a go. He had his one great day at Monaco like Panis did, but like Panis or Fisichella, he rarely had the goods to turn fast laps all race.
Old 17 Feb 2012, 22:48 (Ref:3027345)   #21
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
Youve missed the bigger picture. Its Bernie. F1 is going to Russia. Say no more, they had no other choice/or were paid to take Petrov. Plus he brings dosh with him. Had to happen.
Old 18 Feb 2012, 00:42 (Ref:3027378)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by djinvicta View Post
Youve missed the bigger picture. Its Bernie. F1 is going to Russia. Say no more, they had no other choice/or were paid to take Petrov. Plus he brings dosh with him. Had to happen.
I'm sure your right, but then, Trulli was woefull last year ! Caterham haven't actually lost anything by dropping Jarno in favour of Petrov performance wise!!
Old 18 Feb 2012, 01:05 (Ref:3027387)   #23
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
It's also slightly ironic that having produced a power steering system that is now to Trulli's liking, they, Caterham, then ask him to leave....
Old 18 Feb 2012, 01:09 (Ref:3027388)   #24
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I would have thought *power steering* in a F1 car works, or it does not?

It does teach a lesson and that is do not broadcast your dislikes about team or car to the media..
Old 18 Feb 2012, 06:51 (Ref:3027453)   #25
p-matt
Veteran

I think the power steering incident demonstrated exactly why Caterham don't need Trulli.