Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Indycar Series

Old 28 Mar 2011, 17:06 (Ref:2854975)   #1
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The 2011 Simona vs. Danica Thread

Well...

Simona got 4th and Danica 12th yesterday with Simona running as high as second place!

Looks like we have a "REAL" female racer in IndCar now.

Sure, some of the early crashes took big competitors out of contention or out of the race, but she made some great moves on restarts to pick up spots and she was all over Kanaan in those final laps.

The Princess beter keep one hand firmly on her tiara, because Simona could easily take it away from her.

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 28 Mar 2011, 18:54 (Ref:2855034)   #2
RaceFreak
Racer

RaceFreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Princess is already staging her exit from Indycar. She knows her future is limited unless she creates a "new" splash by going to NASCAR.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 00:14 (Ref:2855148)   #3
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
^She'll be average in stockcars as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post

Looks like we have a "REAL" female racer in IndCar now.
Burn.

Simona showed some real potential last year and she seemed to appear in the top 5 from nowhere yesterday. Indeed, she had some help from others' issues, but she kept it up there and could've perhaps been on the podium; she was a bit too patient with Kanaan, IMHO. Then again, she could have also put it the wall like many others did through out the weekend. Good for her!

1-nil to Simona.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 00:42 (Ref:2855153)   #4
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
^She'll be average in stockcars as well.
Which is fine for her, as that is pretty much her shtick. Being average where no woman has been average before. Well, that and being good-looking. It is interesting to do a Google image search on the two; every pic of Simona has her in a race suit, whereas nearly every one on the first page of Danica results features a bikini...

I do rate Simona, and I think she'll do better this year with more experience, as HVM hopefully will too as they enter a second season where Viso isn't driving their car into the wall every 30 seconds. I saw her at Mosport in FBMW in 2006 racing Robert Wickens and Esteban Gutierrez, who are in FR3.5 with Carlin and GP2 with ART respectively, and felt all 3 had top flight potential. Funny, however, that the European stayed in the US and the two Western Hemisphere boys went across the pond!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 01:53 (Ref:2855169)   #5
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
See how Indycar.com cleaned up an article to protect their effing Danica.

Quote:
Wilson, Beatriz injured in opening race
By indycar.com staff

28 Mar 2011

INDYCAR director of medical services Dr. Michael Olinger said that Dreyer & Reinbold drivers Justin Wilson and Ana Beatriz suffered hand injuries during the season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

Beatriz will have surgery March 29 on her fractured scaphoid bone (wrist), which was incurred during the fifth lap when car made contact with the No. 7 Team GoDaddy car driven by Danica Patrick. Beatriz completed the race in the No. 24 Ipiranga/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car, advancing six positions from her starting spot to finish 14th.

Wilson, driver of the No. 22 TransSystems/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car, has a small fracture of a wrist bone and will be fitted with a special carbon fiber brace, according to Olinger.

Wilson, who started sixth and finished 10th, was injured on a Lap 44 restart when his car and Patrick's made contact.

The new and improved version...

Wilson, Beatriz injured in opening race
By indycar.com staff

28 Mar 2011

INDYCAR director of medical services Dr. Michael Olinger said that Dreyer & Reinbold drivers Justin Wilson and Ana Beatriz suffered hand injuries during the season-opening Honda Grand Prix of St. Petersburg.

Beatriz will have surgery March 29 on her fractured scaphoid bone (wrist). Beatriz completed the race in the No. 24 Ipiranga/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car, advancing six positions from her starting spot to finish 14th.

Wilson, driver of the No. 22 TransSystems/Dreyer & Reinbold Racing car, has a small fracture of a wrist bone and will be fitted with a special carbon fiber brace, according to Olinger. Wilson started sixth and finished 10th.
Sims will own that c*nt this year.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 03:07 (Ref:2855181)   #6
cmotd
Racer

Australia
cmotd should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79 View Post
Simona showed some real potential last year and she seemed to appear in the top 5 from nowhere yesterday
She came into turn one too fast and drilled into Will Power on one of the restarts and sent him from 3rd to 7th and damaged his car. that's when she ended up in 2nd. Lucky for her that she didn't damage her car, not so lucky for Power who wasn't able to run at full speed after that. But that's racing, and apart from that one blunder she drove an excellent race - I think she's definately better than Danica - Danica will keep getting the sponsors and exposure though because she's better looking
Old 29 Mar 2011, 05:11 (Ref:2855192)   #7
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, i think Simona has Danica covered & after the Indy 500, Danica should maybe head to NASCAR for the rest of the season...
Is there a reason why Mike Conway runs the same colours as Danica this year???
Old 29 Mar 2011, 08:56 (Ref:2855256)   #8
PabloTeK
Racer

United Kingdom
Err... Can I have a sports question?
PabloTeK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should this thread be maybe expanded to include Ana Biatriz? Went all hardcore apparently in the race as she managed to drive from lap 4 onwards with a broken wrist and finished a whole 2 places behind Danica!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 11:01 (Ref:2855303)   #9
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd rather continue the Danica vs Mike thread from 2 years ago than the "women in IndyCar" thread of last year, because Danica and Mike are on the same team. There is more fairness in that.

Anyhow, I cannot support Simona this season because of her "rogue sponsor" who runs atomic / nuclear power plants especially given the cruel events that are still ongoing at the time of writing in Japan with 4 nuclear power plants that are adjacent to each other, having gone haywire.

I've cheered for Team Green since when Dario first ran for them. They have since become the Andretti team. I wasn't a supporter of Danica before, but rather TK and RHR. Now she is Andretti's longest standing driver. Here's hoping Danica will be even stronger on the ovals than last year.

This is the first thing I read about Bia Figuereido's accident, having not been able to watch the race due to the webstream being down on the indycar.com site. I was certain she is going to do well on the ovals. Here's to a full and quick recovery.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 12:52 (Ref:2855378)   #10
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
See how Indycar.com cleaned up an article to protect their effing Danica.

Sims will own that c*nt this year.

Please refrain from dodging the autocensor and using disgusting terms such as the one you tried to disguise.

Old 29 Mar 2011, 13:05 (Ref:2855383)   #11
icemachine
Veteran

Canada
Richmond Hill, Ontario, Canada
icemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridicemachine should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yannick View Post
Anyhow, I cannot support Simona this season because of her "rogue sponsor" who runs atomic / nuclear power plants especially given the cruel events that are still ongoing at the time of writing in Japan with 4 nuclear power plants that are adjacent to each other, having gone haywire.
Hardly fair, especially when you consider that nuclear power plant accidents (including Chernobyl) have been responsible for less deaths in their history than coal power is responsible for every year.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 13:56 (Ref:2855409)   #12
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
De Silvestro is an excellent driver. She's got the build, fitness and the temperment to be a winner with the right car. She's got the right attitude too.

Patrick is a middling driver without any of these characteristics.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:01 (Ref:2855411)   #13
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!Paradise City is going for a new world record!
Andretti Autosport has turned into an entitlement zone. Expensive cars go to the pampered prince and the princess and the suddently unfashionable old warrior gets the boot. I'm an Andretti fan but I don't like what that team has become.

I suppose both the prince and princess are there because they are sponsor magnets. Hopefully things will fall in such a way as give Hunter-Reay a look in.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 14:12 (Ref:2855420)   #14
Yannick
Veteran

Yannick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by icemachine View Post
Hardly fair, especially when you consider that nuclear power plant accidents (including Chernobyl) have been responsible for less deaths in their history than coal power is responsible for every year.
I don't want to argue about "number of deaths" here because I don't want to spoil the experience of being on a great entertainment related message board like this.

Yet, I refuse to support the HVM team now that it supports a company whose day-to-day business includes placing a risk of contaminating an area of an at least 80 kilometer radius around their facilities and turning it into a prohibited area for more than several decades - without them actually owning the land in question or saving any funds at least for the evacuation of the people who live there.

It is not known yet how long it takes to clean up an area of that size contaminated in the burn-out of a nuclear power plant. So we cannot compare that to the time it takes from the day you begin to dig an open pit for coal mining until the day that renaturation is complete. But I fear the former may well take longer than than the latter.

I'd better not continue replying that matter in this thread, as to not let it get overly "political".
Old 29 Mar 2011, 15:13 (Ref:2855447)   #15
HJJ
Veteran

United States
Hoschburg, just outside of Brasleburg.
HJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHJJ should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Northcutt View Post
Please refrain from dodging the autocensor and using disgusting terms such as the one you tried to disguise.
Better than dropping an F-Bomb on network TV like the princess did.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2855475)   #16
JHamilton
Veteran

United States
Atlanta, GA
JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!JHamilton is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
She came into turn one too fast and drilled into Will Power on one of the restarts and sent him from 3rd to 7th and damaged his car. that's when she ended up in 2nd. Lucky for her that she didn't damage her car, not so lucky for Power who wasn't able to run at full speed after that. But that's racing, and apart from that one blunder she drove an excellent race - I think she's definately better than Danica - Danica will keep getting the sponsors and exposure though because she's better looking
Was that Power she hit? I didn't think so, but can't remember. Although definitely her mistake it looked to me like she stuck the nose where it wouldn't fit rather than missing the braking point... semantics I suppose.

Either way a great drive from her! 1-0 Simona.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:36 (Ref:2855547)   #17
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmotd View Post
She came into turn one too fast and drilled into Will Power on one of the restarts and sent him from 3rd to 7th and damaged his car. that's when she ended up in 2nd.
Must have missed that amongst the rest of the carnage and contact on those restarts!
Old 29 Mar 2011, 18:44 (Ref:2855549)   #18
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJJ View Post
Better than dropping an F-Bomb on network TV like the princess did.
Using the "C" word in any context, forum or even conversation is not acceptable in normal society...

Old 29 Mar 2011, 20:05 (Ref:2855594)   #19
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Thank you, Tim. It's even less pleasant when used in the context of this particular thread. I would not be tempted to use the equivalent pejorative term when speaking about the abilities of these drivers' male colleagues, whether I disliked them personally or not. Driving is what we're talking about here.

I get the impression that Simona cares about racing for itself, while Danica believes it is only a means to an end -- the end being celebrity and cash. Danica can be successful at meeting her goal without winning, so she doesn't have to. Although I wonder how the f-bomb on the St Pete broadcast will affect her brand status in the "cute little girl t-shirt" market.

keke
Old 29 Mar 2011, 22:23 (Ref:2855644)   #20
Steevp
Racer

England
Cambridge
Steevp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Someone up there ^ said Danica is better looking than Simona? I know which one I'd rather spend an evening with.. and we'd be chatting about her 4th place finish at St. Pete.
Old 29 Mar 2011, 23:09 (Ref:2855659)   #21
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
In regards to Simona's sponsor, anyone with some angst about nuclear power should study up on the coal industry back to the 19th century and all the deaths involved with mining and extraction of coal. Air pollution back 100 years ago makes today's air crystal clear by comparison.

There is not much one can do against a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami so lets be reasonable.

At the end of the day we live in a modern world with modern conveniences and everything in life has a price tag. I personally don't desire to live in a house made of rocks and mud and have light provided by whale blubber. But all those that do can certainly choose to do so.

I haven't paid any attention to the irl as usual, didn't know a race is on, but of course I enjoy hearing news that princess permapout got beat. I did see the nascar clip though of her whining about the one dude running so hard and all I can say if women like danica take over motorsport and feminize it, it's the end for everyone. No one wants to hear whining about running hard, motorsport is about running hard, not coasting.
Old 30 Mar 2011, 01:06 (Ref:2855674)   #22
Paradise City
Veteran

Bhutan
Dublin
The nuke thing is a big non-issue. Big companies often have a poor track record, esp. oil companies and the like.
Old 31 Mar 2011, 03:17 (Ref:2856177)   #23
mazdaspeed
Rookie

United States
mazdaspeed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I live about 12 miles from Three Mile Island, and just south of the large anthracite and bituminous coal veins in Pennsylvania. I was here when the Three Mile Island crisis occurred. Anyone who knows Pennsylvania at all knows the state was King Coal for a long time. If I were given the choice of power from coal (which causes devastating illness and death to the miners) or nuclear power given where I live, I'll take my chances with nuclear any day.
Old 11 Apr 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2861982)   #24
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Simona was 9th and Danica 17th yesterday in Alabama.

Simona blew right by her when Danica's tires started to fade later in the race, as did a bunch of other cars.

Old 18 Apr 2011, 07:53 (Ref:2865501)   #25
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Danica scored a solid 7th while Simona had a rough day and ended up 20th yesterday in Long Beach.

Current score: Simona 2 (11.0 avg), Danica 1 (12.0 avg).