Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 28 Feb 2013, 22:17 (Ref:3212429)   #1
alolympic
Rookie

alolympic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Low drag E-Type question

So, I'm sure most people are aware of the factory low drag e-type having been fully restored last year.
After seeing pictures of the car, like here -

I am left wondering about the wing extensions behind the front wheels.
What are they for?
From my (poor) understanding of aerodynamics, they seem to be counter productive to 'low drag' seeing as the turbulent air created within wheel arches produce a lot of drag. Ideally, you want air to escape from the arches, but surely here, the extensions will reduce the ability for air to escape, and contribute more drag??
Someone please explain, it's not important, but I'd love to know.....
Old 28 Feb 2013, 23:30 (Ref:3212461)   #2
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think they're probably just deflectors for water coming up off the front tyres. Similar looking plates were often fitted to '50s GP cars, Alfa 159s and Maserati 250Fs etc.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 05:48 (Ref:3213520)   #3
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good to see the car resurrected,but how much of the original was used? Not a catch question,just interested as it looks like not only the tub would have been useless plus I wonder if the engine and box would have survived. A friend owns the scuttle of the first proto E-Type,complete with chassis number still attached,riveted alloy construction.

Last edited by terence; 3 Mar 2013 at 05:54.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 08:48 (Ref:3213586)   #4
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
According to the restorers, about 90% of the original bodyshell survives- over 5000 hours went into straightening it out...

http://classic-motor-cars.co.uk/rest...dner%E2%80%9D/

The extensions behind the front wheelarch don't seem to be unique to the Lindner coupe, they're found on 'conventional' Lightweights as well- although looking at period pics, they seem to be a development that happened along the way- The Briggs Cunningham cars at Sebring in '63 don't have them...

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-03-23-020.jpg

...but they've appeared by Le Mans...

http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...06-16-014a.jpg

....and the Kjell Qvale car, which after a couple of races in '63 was sold on and then spent the next 30-odd years stored in the new owner's garage, seems to have never had them:
http://www.racingsportscars.com/phot...-03-23-023.jpg

http://www.coventryracers.com/gallery/zoom/?id=100307

http://www.theautochannel.com/public...-99/pg82.frame
Old 3 Mar 2013, 10:52 (Ref:3213645)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Any chance it was required for a regulation? The Le Mans Briggs Cunningham cars have a 'mud flap' on the rear too.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 11:56 (Ref:3213671)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Seems a logic answer to me, the shape of the E-Type with the lower body tucking under I would have thought could send up a lot of spray.
Old 3 Mar 2013, 17:25 (Ref:3213748)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
Any chance it was required for a regulation? The Le Mans Briggs Cunningham cars have a 'mud flap' on the rear too.

Quite possibly because without them,there would be too much tyre showing at the rear of the arch
Old 4 Mar 2013, 00:50 (Ref:3213880)   #8
MalcolmC
Racer

New Zealand
Down there a bit
MalcolmC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they are 'mud flaps' they seem to work ok:
http://www.topgear.com/india/car-gal...currentid=5242
Old 6 Mar 2013, 12:15 (Ref:3215028)   #9
L-G Sjöberg
Racer

L-G Sjöberg should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
I seemt to recall they were put there to fullfil the requirement that the fenders/wings would have to cover at least 120 percent of the circumference of the wheel.