Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 8 Sep 2001, 17:21 (Ref:143729)   #1
vauxhall
Veteran

vauxhall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC/BPCC split? way to save the calender?

lets face it BTCC can get 20 - 25 grids in 2002, loadsa teams wanna join in!!!

So since the BPCC/NSC's have been involved teams have been pulling out left right and centre becasue of costs, but if the proddies become a support race to the BTCC, then maybe we could have are MIGHT calender back?

THe proddies only turn up for some meetings, like NOT GT/F3 clashes

BTCC 2002 Calender:

TRACK
SUPPORT RACE

Brands Hatch GP
BPCC

Oulton Park
BPCC

Donnington Park
GT/F3

Snetterton
BPCC

Rockingham
BPCC

Silverstone
GT/F3

Croft
BPCC

knockhill
BPCC

Rockingham
BPCC

Oulton Park
BPCC

Donnington
BPCC

Silverstone
BPCC

Brands Hatch
GT/F3

BTCC ROUNDS 13/ 26 races
BPCC ROUNDS 10 / 20 races
BTCC/GT/F3 ROUNDS 3 rounds

So the BTCC gets the calender back its had for around 10 years, BPCC teams have there 10 round calender and we got the GT days also!
Old 8 Sep 2001, 17:32 (Ref:143732)   #2
runnyhunny
Racer

runnyhunny should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
vauxhall,

Would you please stop copying and pasting messages/threads (especially your own) from other forums into here. It's pointless, and irritating.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 18:40 (Ref:143744)   #3
vauxhall
Veteran

i'll do what i want!
Old 8 Sep 2001, 18:54 (Ref:143748)   #4
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Not half as pointless as this bid to change the calendar. The calendar as announced by TOCA is it, final, definative, and no amount of wingeing from you or any other group of fans is going to change that.

You might not like it, but you'll have to learn to accept it.
Old 8 Sep 2001, 18:58 (Ref:143751)   #5
vauxhall
Veteran

i think it might be PROVISIONAL at this point in the year!

like last years calender changed about 5 times
Old 8 Sep 2001, 19:10 (Ref:143755)   #6
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Last year no-one knew what regulations were being used, who was racing, who was in charge, would there even be champiosnhip, etc etc. The other problem last year was that the FIA couldn't decide when the GP was going to be on. This year the calendar is not marked as provitional (previous years were) and barring and major FIA problems I very much doubt it will change. Last year some of the changes were due to PowerTour clashes, which is also not an issue. Remember that TOCA/BMP/Octagon own or run just about all the (major) UK circuits and major UK championships.
Old 9 Sep 2001, 00:26 (Ref:143869)   #7
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see there's a three week gap between races in June, that'll be to 'accomadate' the world cup.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 07:50 (Ref:144302)   #8
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just reading now on www.grandprix.com, that only Brands Hatch is going to host more than one round of the 2002 BTCC championship. Apparently, the night races at Snetterton and Silverstone are going to be dropped too and there will be no night races at all - I always found them to be a crowd-puller. Octagon also reckon that the BTCC has lost $7million in revenue this year.

You can get the full article from http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns04771.html
Old 10 Sep 2001, 13:32 (Ref:144389)   #9
Minardi fan
Veteran

England
Llamaville, Kent
Minardi fan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Redshoes, I don't think the TOCA fans are going to quieten down on this - next season's calendar is utterly appalling.

Vauxhall, most of the racing this season has been in the Production class - not to have them at all the meetings would be a joke.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 17:47 (Ref:144497)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

I don't realy expect that I'll change those peoples minds, I'm just trying to explain why things are like they are. I've been following some of the backlash on TOCAtour and I feel realy sorry for Richard West. You can tell by some of his comments that he's getting royally ****ed off with it all.

I suspect if you ask those fans why they didn't travel to every race this year many will say it was because they couldn't afford it. Strange then that they can't seem to realise that those same economics apply just as much teams and drivers.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 17:56 (Ref:144505)   #11
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I don't like to get on anyone's back as I know just how infuriating it can be - especially when they don't have all the facts behind how I came to make a decision...

But without wishing to encourage this 'witch hunt', i'd like to register my opinion on the loss of the Snetterton night race. I can appreciate the reduction in the number of the rounds - in fact this is probably a good move for the series and the national racing scene as a whole, but I really don't understand how it could be msubstancially more expensive to hold a night race compared to a normal two day meeting.

Obviously there is the cost of lighting and electricity, but what else ??
Old 10 Sep 2001, 18:09 (Ref:144522)   #12
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Well the main reason I haven't been to any BTCC rounds this year is the same reason why the other 12-15,000 people stayed away. The simple reason being that the series has gone downhill. Its not I haven't got the money, quite the opposite, I have more time and money this year than I did last year (last year I went to 4 meetings).

Compared to 98' and 99' when I went to nearly all rounds, the simple reason being that there were a lot of cars in the touring class (in 98' anyway) and that the support package was fab.

If they sorted the bad support package (easy to fix I would assume) and get more BTCT cars (hard to do) then I would definatly return trackside.

Why are there so few support races this year anyhow?
Old 10 Sep 2001, 18:21 (Ref:144531)   #13
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
As Mr West stated at the start of the year, it is a transitional year... and I think that they put all their efforts into pulling together a superb set of rules for the main championship... a set of rules which are really starting to take off.

As to the number of cars on the grid... I think you better get your memory card changed... compare the number of BTC-T cars this season against the pitiful 10 or whatever we had last year... take a look at what we'll have at the final round:

4 Vauxhall
3 Peugeot
2 Lexus
2 Alfa
2 MG

That is 13 cars. Not many more than last year, but it is more... and despite the domination by Vauxhall up until now they are the rest are finally starting to catch up and a great spectacle awaits. Can't wait to see what we have on the grid next April...
Old 10 Sep 2001, 19:06 (Ref:144552)   #14
redshoes
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Antill
Obviously there is the cost of lighting and electricity, but what else ??
I agree about it being a shame we've lost the night race. It doesn't necessarily make good TV but it's a great atmosphere.

I think the figure of £88k was mentioned just for the lighting rigs.
Old 10 Sep 2001, 22:37 (Ref:144666)   #15
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yeah, I saw £88k too. For a transitional year, like this year, there maybe shouldn't have been a night race. But i have a feeling it will be back in a few years, once the championship is up to speed again.

"1 step backwards, to take 2 steps forward" springs to mind.