Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 15 Oct 2013, 16:10 (Ref:3318063)   #1
Rodger Davies
Veteran

Wales
Bradford, UK
Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!Rodger Davies has a real shot at the podium!
R.I.P. Sean Edwards

This morning I learned of the death of Sean Edwards as a passenger in a track day incident in Australia.

Thoughts are with his family and friends, especially as he was so close to Allan Simonsen and did so much for Allan's foundation over the last few months. Such a sad year...

On a personal note, Sean was one of the most friendly and talkative drivers I've ever met in paddocks, was a member of several online communities (especially well known to any aim racers out there) and his was always one of the careers I've followed closely. I've always thought he was destined for a works Porsche drive one day, and his mastery of the Nurburgring in GT cars is up there with the best Ring Masters of yesteryear.

I'm sure I won't be the only one to miss his presence both on track and the paddock at events in the future.

RIP Sean, you achieved so much in such a short time, your character and talent will be sorely missed.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 16:14 (Ref:3318067)   #2
deggis
Veteran

Finland
deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!deggis is going for a new world record!
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/motorsport/24532901
Old 15 Oct 2013, 16:44 (Ref:3318078)   #3
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
I did not know he was the son of Guy until i read the bbc report, another sad loss in a very bad few months for motorsport
Old 15 Oct 2013, 17:33 (Ref:3318096)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Shocking. Very sad news. A massive talent gone.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 18:29 (Ref:3318111)   #5
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Terrible news. I remember Sean as a poster here, many years ago when he was just starting out in Porsches. My thoughts are with all those he was close to.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 18:37 (Ref:3318113)   #6
skycafe
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Water on three sides
skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!skycafe is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I did not know he was the son of Guy
I didn't either. Very sad, sympathies to the family, and may he rest in peace.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:16 (Ref:3318125)   #7
Cuttlefish
Racer

United States
Seattle, WA
Cuttlefish should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Absolutely tragic. Gutted for his family, friends, and the sport.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:30 (Ref:3318135)   #8
Richard117
Racer

Netherlands
Netherlands
Richard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRichard117 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some freak facts:
The car caught fire, his father Guy helped Lauda from his burning car at the Nurburgring.

Guy Edwards and Emilio de Villota raced together in this car and both lost their child this week:

Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:40 (Ref:3318141)   #9
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
Very, very sad. This guy was a multitalented driver with a shining future ahead of him. So sad it got cut short by an inexperienced 20 year old...

R.I.P. and all the strenght for his family and friends(amongst one of his best was Jeroen Bleekemolen...)
Old 15 Oct 2013, 19:44 (Ref:3318144)   #10
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If it had been a standard single round finale in Abu Dhabi Sean would have stood a good chance of winning the Supercup title with an 18-point lead.

As it is it's a double header instead.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 20:00 (Ref:3318150)   #11
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thoughts to Seans family and prayers for him. A short trip to Bathurst and a few days tuition is not where you would expect such a tragedy to occur. As mentioned earlier, there were some heroic actions by the first responders it seems, and thoughts to them as well. A very sad day. Prayers for the young driver as well.http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...-1226740247873

Last edited by Juarez Jed; 15 Oct 2013 at 20:07.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 20:06 (Ref:3318156)   #12
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
A guy who should have bossed this race for years to come, it's such a shame this is the only time he got to compete at Le Mans.

Old 15 Oct 2013, 20:43 (Ref:3318188)   #13
WolfsburgRS
Veteran

United States
Baltimore, MD
WolfsburgRS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Sean. Terrible news.
Old 15 Oct 2013, 20:49 (Ref:3318189)   #14
GTfour
Veteran

Netherlands
Holland
GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!GTfour has a real shot at the podium!
This shouldn't miss here. An im memoriam by another friend, Chris Harris:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=28664
Old 16 Oct 2013, 00:46 (Ref:3318257)   #15
Juarez Jed
Veteran

Juarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJuarez Jed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
An update on the young driver, wish him all the best at this terrible time

http://www.speedcafe.com/2013/10/16/...-induced-coma/
Old 16 Oct 2013, 01:15 (Ref:3318259)   #16
Lagunaseca_4life
Veteran

United States
Central Valley CA
Lagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLagunaseca_4life should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow I'm shocked, thoughts and prayers to his friends and family.way to young to go. R.I.P. Sean.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 02:23 (Ref:3318269)   #17
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm shocked, stunned, appalled and can't say much else right now.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 08:22 (Ref:3318328)   #18
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
If it had been a standard single round finale in Abu Dhabi Sean would have stood a good chance of winning the Supercup title with an 18-point lead.

As it is it's a double header instead.
A shocking tragic accident. Words can't describe the pain his poor family and friends are going through right now. RIP Sean.

In terms of the Supercup, Richard Westbrook among others have asked Porsche to make the finale a non points scoring event. I hope Porsche take this request on board.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 09:13 (Ref:3318349)   #19
Haine Kane
Rookie

France
near Rouen (normandie) FRANCE
Haine Kane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My tribute to Sean

R.I.P.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 11:22 (Ref:3318391)   #20
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very sad indeed. The loss of a great driver who was just becoming one of the great GT drivers, killed while teaching drivers on his first visit to Australia.
Deepest condolences to Guy and the family, his girlfriend and all his friends. He will be missed by race fans throughout the world. My thoughts are also with the other driver, Will, hope he makes a speedy recovery, and all those who attended the scene of the accident.
Rest in Peace Sean.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 12:16 (Ref:3318410)   #21
BanjoMaster
Rookie

BanjoMaster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Extremely glad to hear that Will Holzheimer didn't suffer the serious burns that were first reported - hopefully this will greatly increase his chances over the next few days and weeks. He's just a kid, Sean not much older. Such a terrible terrible waste.

2013 has been a roundly sh1t year for motorsport. It's robbed us of some our greatest and most loved, and if it would just kindly hurry up and end without anyone else we know and admire getting hurt, it'd be greatly appreciated
Old 16 Oct 2013, 13:20 (Ref:3318436)   #22
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
In terms of the Supercup, Richard Westbrook among others have asked Porsche to make the finale a non points scoring event. I hope Porsche take this request on board.
I've been thinking about this. I'm not really sure it's what Sean would have wanted.

Westbrook said they should make it a non-points race on account that Edwards dominated the season. He dominated the early season, before being reeled back as the year wore on. That said I do feel that he would have been crowned champion.

It's a tough decision - as winning the supercup is a big step in the career of a young driver. I don't know what the right answer is but let's see what they do. It's such a sad situation.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 14:21 (Ref:3318455)   #23
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmi View Post
I've been thinking about this. I'm not really sure it's what Sean would have wanted.

Westbrook said they should make it a non-points race on account that Edwards dominated the season. He dominated the early season, before being reeled back as the year wore on. That said I do feel that he would have been crowned champion.

It's a tough decision - as winning the supercup is a big step in the career of a young driver. I don't know what the right answer is but let's see what they do. It's such a sad situation.
it's also difficult because the usual question is "to race or not to race" - obviously, you race. but would any racer want to willingly step out of the title battle (especially when leading) and let the others have it out? no chance! so arguably a non-points race or a normal points finish wouldn't be what he would have wanted at all.

i'm not sure it's porsche's decision to make. it seems like the sort of thing that the drivers need to come to a gentlemans agreement about. if they don't want to have the title decider without sean, then the guys with a mathematical chance should come to an arrangement where they race as normal until the last lap, then the relevant guys pit, and let the others get on with it. take themselves out of the equation but still race.

glad to hear the other guy involved in the accident is doing better than first reported. any accident taking one young life is bad enough.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:22 (Ref:3318480)   #24
Thorney
Racer

Thorney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Run the race to the last lap board (which acts as the 'finish line' to the drivers), then all park up on the grid in that order as a tribute. Drivers get to race, a fitting tribute to a great driver and friend and sponsors all happy with coverage.
Old 16 Oct 2013, 15:43 (Ref:3318490)   #25
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
I did not know he was the son of Guy until i read the bbc report, another sad loss in a very bad few months for motorsport
Reading the report in the paper this morning it also stated that Sean played his dad in "Rush" Another reason for people to see the film