Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 9 Jan 2002, 11:03 (Ref:195928)   #1
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Fuel starvation

I drove down to Byron Bay from Brisbane (2hrs and 15 minute drive) on Christnmas Day with the temperatures hovering between 42 and 45 degrees C on the road. I first encountered a strange problem when I tried to fill the tank after the first hour, only to find the bowser auto shut off kept shutting off the fuel supply as soon as I tried to fill up. I managed to trickle 13 litres into the tank in 7 minutes, and gave up. After another hour, the car suddenly started to misfire, and I was really worried. I managed to partially cure the problem by shifting down to third gear from overdrive, and limped into Byron Bay. My brother-in-law told me that he had the same problem in his SAAB, and that it was caused by fuel vaporisation. My return drive on Dec 27 was under much cooler conditions with temps around 30 degrees and I had no problems with engine misfire at all.
Has anyone else suffered the same problem under these very hot conditions? BTW, the temperature gauge registered normal all the time. Is there any preventive measures one can take in such hot conditions?
Old 10 Jan 2002, 12:18 (Ref:196498)   #2
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never heard of this with relation to filling the tank, but it's common in driving. Fuel vaporises and fills the line with fumes instead of liquid... the fuel pump(s) don't pump that so well.

If you can find out where the actual vaporisation is taking place, pouring cool water over the line will fix it.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 02:39 (Ref:196873)   #3
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Ray, this would have worked with my Peugeot 403, 504 or even the 505, but I don't have the slightest idea where anything is in the Volvo turbo. I opened the bonnet, took one look, and shut it.
I think the fuel in the tank must have been vaporising so much that the back pressure shut of the filler's pump.
For those who want to know how to start a car if they have fuel vaporisation problems, you get someone to put their hand over the air intake while you crank the engine. Worked for me once with the 403. Some teenager saved quite a few drivers on the Geelong Road during the 1972 (I think that was the year) fires when he helpled them restart their cars.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 11 Jan 2002 at 02:42.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 05:11 (Ref:196884)   #4
Ray Bell
Veteran

Ray Bell should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dicky fuel pumps in Pugs respond well to a cupfull of water over them... that's all you need, a cupful over the fuel pump... had a 404 that needed it often.

As for the Volvo, it's probably fool injected, so look for the main pump and get the water over it... or the one at the back, near the tank, they are prone (same as 504TI) to getting too much heat from the road... maybe an air duct?
Old 11 Jan 2002, 10:18 (Ref:196940)   #5
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand the turbo Volvos do run reasonably hot, so that is the most likely cause on a hot day as well.

A turbo-ed 242GT ran Targe Tassie a few years ago. To keep it cool, he altered the bonnet at the back to let the hot air out.

The 740T is fuel injected too.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 11:18 (Ref:196960)   #6
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Mine is the V70AWD, and when I opened the bonnet, the only thing I recognised was the battery.
Old 11 Jan 2002, 12:24 (Ref:196984)   #7
Airhead
Veteran

Airhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAirhead should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valve...

This is God's way of telling you to buy a Ford.
Old 12 Jan 2002, 05:05 (Ref:197408)   #8
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mr Moffat aren't Volvo now owned by Ford? So it obviously has all the standard Ford traites.

Valve would this not be a Warranty issue that you freindly local Dealer could look at? I work for a fleet leasing company and i do know we have had a problem simalur to that in WA in a S40. I don't know if they are the same but I will try and find out.

In so far as filling the fuel tank Commodores are cronic for this as the ambient temp gets higher. It useally on those is a problem with the breathers on the filler neck or the carbon canister.
Old 13 Jan 2002, 10:35 (Ref:197876)   #9
elephino
Veteran

elephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelephino should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Oh yeah, forgot you had a V70. In that case it is beyond doubt it is fuel injected. Secondly, all the plastic coverings make it difficult to work out what is what (or where).

Two Pulsars ago, the fuel tank didn't always fill very well and I think it was worse when hotter. In this case it was related to the design of the tank which was rather flat. But then my dad's Mazda 121 (1978) has a rather tall tank and cannot fill it much more than 3/4 full.
Old 15 Jan 2002, 03:34 (Ref:198871)   #10
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve After talking to some dealers apparantly there is some insulation that can be put around the fuel line going to the fuel rail to stop this vaporisation problem. The dealers are apparantly aware of it