Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 22 May 2002, 18:45 (Ref:292847)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Suppose you're building a library...

I know we've done this before, but I thought it might be fun to see what we could come up with here, with a slight twist. This isn't necessarily a "favourite book" thread, but obviously, if you find a book really useful, it's likely to be one of your favourites.

The scenario is this:

You've been asked to give your suggestions for essential books in a motorsport reference library. There's an unlimited budget, and the scouts are willing to go out and track down the most obscure out-of-print titles.

But you've got to convince them that the library needs them, so lists of titles are only half the quest.

You might have gathered there's an ulterior motive here - I'm always looking for useful titles that I might have missed....!

So, my choices for starters.

Some good stats books, listing results of events in a handy reference form.
Naturally, these would be the 12 volumes of Paul Sheldon & Duncan Rabagliati's "History of Grand Prix and Voiturette Racing". The original and the best.
For sports cars, there would be "Time and Two Seats" by Janos Wimpffen. Every event in the World Sportscar Championship lovingly written up in detail.

Essential biography?
Chris Nixon's "Mon Ami Mate" on Mike Hawthorn and Peter Collins, one of the finest biographies ever released.

Vital marque histories?
"Cooper Cars" by Doug Nye, authoritative, meticulously researched and comprehensive treatment of a very complex subject.
"Racing History of the Vintage Bentley" by Darrell Berthon. Well, I had to, didn't I? Written by someone who had access to all the personalities who were there, and unsurpassed in the 40 years since publication.

So - what else needs to go on the shelves?
Old 22 May 2002, 19:42 (Ref:292884)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
seeing as you "stole" one of mine - Mon Ami Mmate, I just swung round on the chair and fell upon Formula One by Michael Turner and Nigel Roebuck. Not necessarilty a classic as such but wonderful artwork and evocative stories.

Another I see on the shelf is "From Chain Drive to Turbocharger" by Denis Jenkinson. A story of how a British Marque (Frazer Nash) developed into a thriving and respected business (AFN Porsche).

Then I'd want the other side of the coin. MG by MmcComb. The story of how this great little marque was put to the sword due to personality clashes and self interest.

No racing library would be complete without Champion Year by Mike Hawthorn. The first British winner of the World Driver's Championship.

And then there's Alan Henry's book. The Turbo Years. F1 most evocative period.

I won't mention the many "Capri" or "Ford" in racing books which should also grace any self respecting library.
Old 22 May 2002, 20:01 (Ref:292891)   #3
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The Great Encyclopedia of Formula One is a good read, two volumes and every result up to 2000. Its also got alot of information about most of the teams that raced in Formula One. Finding time to read it all has been hard but I will get through it one day!

However one of my most treasured items has to be my Keith Sutton "My Ten Years with Ayrton Senna" book that he gave me for my 8th birthday. Full of photos but its in Japanese so I can't read most of the writing in it although some has been put into English.
Old 22 May 2002, 20:33 (Ref:292924)   #4
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From a factual point, perhaps the Autocourse series of year books. Would have to have Sid Watkins two books for a view from the otherside.

Plus a book I know you have as you recommended it to me that American Racing book by Tom Burnside, for little reason other than the candid b & w photo's taken when racing was somthing done at the weekends.

Personally, I would have the entire Le Mans year books as well (the ACO one's) Some splendid photo's and lap by lap guide of the race.

Finally perhaps a good World atlas to see where the places are and how much effort it took to get there in the 1920's / 1930's, Maybe you could get an atlas for every 10 years to see how the roads changed ? How on earth Bentley got a team of cars to Le Mans in the 1920's I really do not know, dirt roads, few fuel stations and garages. Plus some of those trans Asian races......

Simon
Old 22 May 2002, 21:33 (Ref:292970)   #5
JR27
Racer

JR27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To cover the CanAm series...I would select the books of Peter Lyons. I would also have all the articles from MOTOR SPORT authored by one Dennis Jenkinson (Race Reports and Letters from the Continent) bound by year along with all the issues of Grand Prix International as well. Other books on my list would be "Gilles Villeneuve. The Life of the Legendary Racing Driver" by Gerald Donaldson, "West McLaren Mercedes Teamwork" also by Mr. Donaldson, "Ferrari Formula 1" by Rainer Schlegelmilch, "My Years With Ferrari" and "Meine Story" both by Niki Lauda, "Jenks A Passion for Motor Sport" by DSJ, and "Formula One Through the Lens" by Nigel Snowden.

hmmmm, yeah, that's the ticket...

Murph
Old 23 May 2002, 04:08 (Ref:293157)   #6
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
40 Fabulous years, a history of the Australian Toruing Car Championship.

Australia's Greatetst Motor Race, a history of the Bathurst 1000.

Holden, the official racing History.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:21 (Ref:293262)   #7
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The book whose name I have forgotten published last year end about the business of F1

Ronnie Spain's GT40 book and the big Chapparal book from a few years ago give a contrasting view of corporate vs private sports car success

Frank Gardner's book from 1970 about how to be a racing driver - published by Castrol as I recall - when the flag drops the xxxxxxxx stops
Old 23 May 2002, 08:48 (Ref:293289)   #8
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm...

F1 Through the Lenses - Nigel Snowdon

Superb.
Old 23 May 2002, 08:55 (Ref:293294)   #9
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jos, that F1 book wouldn't be "The Piranha Club" by any chance, would it?

David, one day I'll find myself a copy of 40 Fabulous Years. I managed to track down the Bathurst book on eBay, so there's always hope.
Old 23 May 2002, 23:16 (Ref:294181)   #10
Vitesse
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, England
Vitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridVitesse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Grand Prix Car by Laurence Pomeroy (2 Vols)
The Autocourse History of the Grand Prix Car 1945-91 by Doug Nye (2 Vols)
The Encyclopaedia of Motor Sport by Nick Georgano - thirty years old but still the best!
A Record of Motor Racing by Gerald Rose
Grand Prix Racing 1906-14 by TASO Mathieson
The Gordon Bennett Races by Lord Montagu
A-Z of Formula Racing Cars by David Hodges
A-Z of Grand Prix Cars by David Hodges
Grand Prix Cars 1945-65 by Mike Lawrence
Motor Racing Mavericks by Doug Nye
Grand Prix! by Mike Lang (4 Vols)
The Power and the Glory by William Court (2 Vols)
Racing the Silver Arrows by Chris Nixon
Classic Racing Cars/Classic Racing Engines by Karl Ludvigsen
Indianapolis 500 Chronicle by Rick Popely
Anything by Rainer Schlegelmilch!

And I'm happy to say I own copies of all but three of those

Last edited by Vitesse; 23 May 2002 at 23:18.

Bob Marley
Old 24 May 2002, 01:23 (Ref:294265)   #11
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
more books

Hull and Slater's Alfa Romeo book is a must if you have any interest in Alfas. Excellent was expected is a must if your a a Porsche person. Scuderia Ferrari by Orsini is a must if you have any interest in early Ferrari history...

So many good books, so little time (and money)...

Stu
Old 24 May 2002, 04:16 (Ref:294335)   #12
upstart
Rookie

upstart should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVID PATERSON
40 Fabulous years, a history of the Australian Toruing Car Championship.

Australia's Greatetst Motor Race, a history of the Bathurst 1000.

Holden, the official racing History.
Surely the AGP book and the Bathurst 1938-1973 book are more important than these?
Old 24 May 2002, 04:40 (Ref:294347)   #13
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Upstart, you're right the AGP book certainly deserves a place in the library, a very significant book, though not to my taste. The other one however, intersting book that it is, is somewhat insignificant compared to the others.

Tim, try www.pitstop.com.au
Old 24 May 2002, 05:00 (Ref:294360)   #14
upstart
Rookie

I see. You do not know that book then?
Old 24 May 2002, 12:06 (Ref:294761)   #15
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Seeing as you fellows have recommended all the good books in my collection already. I'll plump for the Brookland Books series of contemporary magazine articles covering Le Mans, the Targo Florio and other fine races. For light entertainment, BS Levy's 'Last Open Road' and 'Montezumas Ferrari' novels are worth shelfspace.
Old 24 May 2002, 19:33 (Ref:295284)   #16
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea for a thread.
From my collection I would have to add 'James Hunt' by Gerald Donaldson, 'Moss' by Robert Edwards, (really captures the feel of the sport during the fifties and sixties), and the brilliant 'Into the Red' by Nick Mason and Mark Hales. I read that in a couple of hours so not that much depth to it, but a great insight into what it must be like to drive some of these machines. The notes about how Nick Mason came to own them are rather amusing too. The CD that comes with it is novel to say the least...
Old 24 May 2002, 22:19 (Ref:295417)   #17
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Welcome to the board, Remus. Some great choices there.

There are occasions when I'm "driving" my computer and I feel the need to put the V-16 BRM segment of the CD on, and just wallow.

Interesting point earlier about the various nuances of Bathurst history. Upstart, I'm presuming you were thinking of the "Cradle of Australian Motor Racing" title, for the Bathurst history. Now, that's one that has had some good distribution in Britain, and is a fascinating look at the early days. I'm proud to say I own it. I've got to say though, that I'm quite a fan of Bill Tuckey's prose, and if you say "Bathurst" to most fans outside Australia, they will respond with "The Hardie 1000" or "The Great Race".

Some more suggestions for the library.

"Archie and the Listers" by Robert Edwards. Yes, that's the same Robert Edwards who came up with the glorious Moss biography last year. Tells the story of the wonderful sports car star of the fifties Archie Scott-Brown, who proved himself to be one of the fastest drivers on earth in spite of several physical handicaps.

I'd also add - for the sake of including American-style oval racing in the library - Rick Popely's Indianapolis 500 Chronicle, as many of Floyd Clymer's Indianapolis yearbooks as we could get our hands on, and Greg Fielden's 5-volume "40 Years of Stock Car Racing and Beyond", which traces the NASCAR series from its earliest outlaw roots.

Incidentally, has anyone written a good history of the USAC championships yet?

And speaking of ovals, I would have to recommend Bill Boddy's "Brooklands - Complete Motor Racing History", the latest edition of his seminal 40-year old circuit history.

Keep 'em coming folks. There's already been one recommendation on this thread that has made me put one on my shopping list.

(Thanks Murph!)
Old 25 May 2002, 05:08 (Ref:295626)   #18
bugeye
Rookie

bugeye should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would definitely add "Rob Walker" by Michael Cooper-Evans, and if you followed the GTP era in IMSA you must have "Prototypes" by J.A. Martin and Ken Wells.
Old 25 May 2002, 15:56 (Ref:295975)   #19
Remus
Racer

Remus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I haven't spotted 'Portraits of the 60's Formula 1' by Rainier Schlegelmilch. I think this is the best thumbed edition in my (small) collection. It is a must for anyboby who thinks this heroic era is what this sport is all about. As for reference, I know they are a few years old now but I still like flicking through 'Ferraris at Le Mans' and the Porsche book of similar title - they contain contempory photo's of every car by the marques to compete upto around 1984. Finally, as a total 'Revival' meeting addict, I would not be without 'The Glory of Goodwood'by Lawrence, Taylor and Nye.
Old 27 May 2002, 10:56 (Ref:297330)   #20
upstart
Rookie

That is quite right TimD. Most in Australia too but the enthusiasts who are worth their salt recognise that Bathurst didn't begin in 1963. My comment was that the Cradle of Australian Racing book is not "insignificant" at all.
Old 27 May 2002, 16:58 (Ref:297693)   #21
the18racer
Rookie

the18racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Everything mentioned above plus Robert Edwards' biography of Stirling Moss, "Touch Wood" by Duncan Hamilton (fiction masquerading as autobiography but funny as hell) and "Stroker Ace" (ditto).
Old 29 May 2002, 02:14 (Ref:299025)   #22
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Upstart, you misunderstood me, I've read that book and it is in fact a very significant book, but IMO, the Great Race book is simply more significant because in the eyes of the vast majority of Australian Race fans, the October 1000 is the heart and soul of not only the circuit , but Australian Motorsport. Also, i imagined that outside of Australia, that book wouldn't mean much to the reader.
Old 29 May 2002, 02:56 (Ref:299053)   #23
upstart
Rookie

Quite apart from the authors being like chalk and cheese and the authority which each book carries being likewise, the period is of much more interest generally and especially from an offshore point of view. Cars that raced in Britain etc raced at Bathurst in those real race meetings. Apart from that it describes an era now gone rather than an evolving era. The variety and the history is much greater and the fact that the circuit pre-dates all but a very few others in the world make it a more valuable volume.
Old 30 May 2002, 19:51 (Ref:300725)   #24
verglas
Racer

verglas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Autocourse, naturally as well as Donaldsons bigraphy on Gilles Villeneuve and Roebuck's 'Chasing the Title'
Old 30 May 2002, 22:52 (Ref:300888)   #25
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nuts Bolts Fastners and Plumbing by Caroll Smith is the most informative book about Nuts Bolts Fastners and Plumbing in the world.

Seriously you have to read all the Caroll Smith Books

And who ever said the power and the glory well thats a great book I like that one lots it actually make motor racing seam dangerous.