Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 8 May 2002, 03:43 (Ref:279936)   #1
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Montreal GP

Well, I guess it's time to get the ball rolling. Only a month to go, so while most of us know who is showing up, might as well start up the 'ol topic.

Items on the agenda:

I'll be going the Saturday only routine again, but perhaps as Eero has suggested, perhaps we can meet up at the track for more than just a few minutes. Suggestions?

Are there types of restaurants that anyone REALLY hates. I'll be getting a list in my head of places shortly.(so to call for a reservation relatively soon)

If we all cross all our fingers and toes, maybe we can stop a Ferrari walk-away with a 1 sec/lap up on everyone, mind you, Austria in five days may give a better indication.

djb
Old 8 May 2002, 08:24 (Ref:280012)   #2
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Re: Montreal GP

Quote:
Originally posted by djb
If we all cross all our fingers and toes, maybe we can stop a Ferrari walk-away with a 1 sec/lap up on everyone, mind you, Austria in five days may give a better indication.

djb
for a small fee, I could give the red cars a yellow flag every so often just to slow them down...
I'll be there fri/sat/Sun with a ringside seat. Actually, I won't be sitting, it'll be a case of 3 different flag positions over the weekend, I just won't know where until I get there. Friday last year got JV. Could have made a fortune selling bits of BAR
Old 8 May 2002, 21:17 (Ref:280572)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I hate you Al
Old 9 May 2002, 02:26 (Ref:280684)   #4
eatapc
Veteran

eatapc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Montreal GP

Quote:
Originally posted by djb
Are there types of restaurants that anyone REALLY hates. I'll be getting a list in my head of places shortly.(so to call for a reservation relatively soon)djb
I have the now-famous peanut allergy. 1 bite is death (if I've forgotten my syringe). I can do without Thai and Indian, since they tend to put peanuts or cashews in everything.

BTW, I know someone with a nice hotel room and 2 tickets (3-day passes) who can't go. Anyone interested in buying them should let me know.
Old 10 May 2002, 03:43 (Ref:281443)   #5
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Al (aka that great 50's flic, and a darn good remake with Donald Sutherland in the late 80's or early 90's) I wish you a good visit here. Rather impressed that you come all this way, as well as wrangling yourself into a marshalling job, I would have thought that all the flaggy and funny suit positions would be taken by Canadian marshalling groups. In any case, have a good three days on the circuit, and yes, I'm sure we can start up a fund-raising thing for a wee "donation". If you have any questions regarding Montreal, do not hesitate.

Hard drive digester, glad to see you back. Will keep the peanut thing in mind, good to mention Thai or Indian, and I guess we'll just see how suggestions come along. As you know best, you can make a call depending on the best details I can get re: menus.

Oh, and Stephen, I think its fair to say that we all hate Al
Old 10 May 2002, 14:17 (Ref:281945)   #6
Bodysnatcher
La Grande Théière
Veteran

Marshall Islands
5 minutes from the kentagon
Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!Bodysnatcher has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks for the character reference Stephen - now they all hate me <sobs>
djb - no problems with Montreal, I was there last year and loved the place so much I had to come back with reinforcements. Did the Indy F1 in 00, perhaps it has a better circuit, but the town.....
Our Canadian buddies allow 2 marshalling points to be run by foreigners - last year was an eclectic mix of US/GB/French/Belgian on our crew.
Any donations for the slowing TGF down fund should be handed to the wee, beardied, bespectacled bloke in the orange RAC embroidered ovies with the Ecurie Ecosse patch on his left shoulder. (Now if that does'nt identify me to the 10/10 readers then F all will.) At least come and say hello.

On a serious point - we were probably just going to eat and drink in the evenings down the old port or Place Jacques Cartier - or is that just too obviously touristy. Bunch of are staying at McGill, cos we've got to minimise the expense somewhere. Why you guys should want to eat Chinese or Indian when the great local delicacy of poutin exists, I just don't know. <Homeric voice>Hmmm, poutin....
Whatever..maybe as many as 5 Brits could join in Sat night
anything but shellfish for me.

and BTW, just to increase the hate toward me, 20hours after returning home its off to Le Mans - marshalling of course.

Alasdair
Old 10 May 2002, 19:51 (Ref:282143)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Of course I am now even greener with envy Al!

Have a great time in Canada and Le Mans and see you when you return. By the way, why the aversion to shellfish?
Old 11 May 2002, 03:46 (Ref:282337)   #8
djb
Veteran

Please to meet you Alasdair. Poutine?--bleerk! I think I've only had it a few times in my life, and have no real urge to have any more, but then, if that what turns you on (I liked the Homeric voice, "chips--gravey--and globs of cheese")
Vieux Montreal, although it is touristy, is still an interesting part of the city, historicaly and architecturely, and there is a fair choice of restaurants. Pop in here once in a while to see what is being discussed. I'll probably call whatever restaurant the rest of us end up going to about two weeks before the Saturday, so do let me know of your Saturday night plans.

and in any case, I'll remember---bespectacled, orange and Ecurie Ecosse, hopefully will be able to say hello.
Old 13 May 2002, 03:08 (Ref:284521)   #9
djb
Veteran

my, my

when I said up top that the Austria GP in "five days time" would give us an idea of how much the Ferraris would be ahead of everyone, little did I know how much fodder it would give us for completely boring the wives to death Saturday night.......
Old 13 May 2002, 14:38 (Ref:285151)   #10
V-Man
Rookie

V-Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I will be attending the Canadian G.P. this year. It will be my third attendance in a row.
Old 13 May 2002, 17:10 (Ref:285350)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As always, I'll be there. I'm pretty sure NeilC and Eero will be there too.

Depending on work, I'll either arrive Friday morning or late Friday afternoon. After that, I'll likely spend all of my daylight hours at the track and the evenings are open!

djb, I'm all for meeting up with you guys for more than a fwe minutes on Saturday. Unfortunately, they haven't released a schedule for the weekend yet.

As for restaurants, there isn't anything I really don't like (even Thai or Indian ). Try to find a reasonably priced place...I don't have as much to spend as I did last year. University took its toll.

P.S. If you do know a good place to get Poutine in Montreal, let me know! I love the stuff if it's good...but it can be quite disgusting when bad.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 13 May 2002, 22:39 (Ref:285718)   #12
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Count Beth and me in. Anyone interested in "Tartare de Lapin" again? I'll get Neil to check in as well here.

Old 15 May 2002, 05:04 (Ref:286943)   #13
djb
Veteran

I have an idea for a place. The name is "Resto 917"--yes, as in Porsche, but it is simply the address on Rachel street. It serves French cuisine and is very good. Haven't been to it for a few years, but shall try to drop by (its not too far from work) to get an idea of prices. I believe it is in the range of where we were last year. Let me get back on that in a day or two.

ps, today was damn freezing. I just hope we will not be dressed for the gp as I was back in '80 I think, with a toque and mitts.....yeah, I know, pretty unlikely, I'm sure that we'll be as hot as last year. I've already restocked the household 30 strength sunscreen.
Old 17 May 2002, 04:26 (Ref:288557)   #14
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Dave, is there an internet source with any info on that place? I just checked a bit and couldn't find anything.

I guess I'm strange, but I wouldn't mind it if the weather was on the cool side. The Canadian GP has to be the most variable in terms of weather of them all, even though the dates always about the same. Some years there is incredible heat is like Malaysia, others it's been like a winter test at Silverstone.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 17 May 2002, 15:09 (Ref:288972)   #15
djb
Veteran

Sorry folks, I haven't made it over to the resto for a menu look yet. Everyone in the household is sick and on antibiotics, and for a month or so I was able to hold off the plague, until 2 days ago. So far just a bad head cold, but I promise to keep everyone appraised on the resto details etc. I too tried to find some net info for the place but to no avail. In any case Jay, I'll be sure to find somewhere that is reasonable cost wise and can let us sit around and blab.
Old 17 May 2002, 15:19 (Ref:288980)   #16
eatapc
Veteran

I saved this from the NY Times about 6 months ago. Not pushing these choices on anyone -- just an FYI.

Montreal: A Festive City and Food to Match

December 19, 2001

MONTREAL has no shortage of festive restaurants and
markets. These are a few of the more appealing. Holiday
hours vary. (Prices given are in United States currency.)

LE PASSE-PARTOUT, 3857 Boulevard DÈcarie, (514) 487-7750.
Boulangerie open Tuesday through Saturday, restaurant
Thursday through Saturday. Dinner entrees average $20.

L'EXPRESS, 3927 Rue St.-Denis, (514) 845-5333. Open daily.
Lunch entrees average $10.

TOQU…!, 3842 Rue St.-Denis, (514) 499-2084. Entrees average
$20.

AU PETIT EXTRA, 1690 Rue Ontario Est, (514) 527-5552.
Two-course dinner about $11.

LA CHRONIQUE, 99 Rue Laurier Ouest, (514) 271-3095.
Prix-fixe dinner $36.

P¬TISSERIE DE GASCOGNE, various locations including 237 Rue
Laurier Ouest, (514) 490-0235.

ATWATER MARKET, 182 Rue Atwater.

JEAN-TALON MARKET, 7075
Avenue Casgrain.
Old 22 May 2002, 17:32 (Ref:292782)   #17
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be there. My wife, being the gastronome she is, has made a list of places she'd like to try while we are there, but for Sat evening, whatever y'all decide is great with us. There is no food so bad that mediocre Bordeaux and good conversation can't make palatable. Jamie, don't worry about your budget, you're covered.

eatapc, is it safe to assume your name does not mean "eat a peanut cluster"?
Old 22 May 2002, 19:54 (Ref:292887)   #18
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Hi Neil, good to hear from you!

I should be alright (money-wise that is), I've had the weekend budgeted for some time, including a night out or two. And if it's good food, I'm always willing to pay a little more.

btw, Dave, is this place you're looking at: http://english.montrealplus.ca/profile/494640/

Here's Au Petit Extra, which eatapc mentioned:
http://english.montrealplus.ca/profile/492719/

If you know of any other place that might be good, by all means post it here!

Any other preferences for type of food?
Old 22 May 2002, 22:02 (Ref:292996)   #19
djb
Veteran

To begin with, sorry everyone for being so slow with getting details etc. Yes, Jay, this is the place, congrats for the web-info-finding. The little web blurb that Jay found is pretty accurate, the times that I have been have been very enjoyable, the food is great , you can bring your own wine and as I mentioned, they don't try to turf you out quickly.
I just called the restaurant, and so far there is no problem for a reservation. One thing that I had forgotten, they have only two evening servings for meals. It's either 6pm or 9pm. Initially I though that 6 would be too early, but then again, last year I hung around at the track to watch the FF race, but it did make for a very long day. Nine pm would certainly be too late, stomach wise and tired feet etc wise, so I think that 6 would be feasible.
Give me an idea of where you are all staying, but I would reckon that it would only take 10 mins or less by taxi to get there from your various hotels. Jay, I could even pick you up at the YH if it would help.
Oh yeah, the resto couldn't fax me a menu, but I WILL go by tomorrow afternoon after a shoot and get a photocopy. Basically, I just want to go to a place where I have had good experiences in the past, and as Neil said, we can drink reasonably good wine and yack. Oh, if you'd be interested, I could even be Mr. wine-getter, so you 'all don't have to buy some dubious deppanneur wine (corner store). Just a suggestion, let me know if you want to discuss wines, prices etc.
So far we are at least 9, the four couples and Jay.

Let me know how you feel about this, alright?
David
Old 23 May 2002, 01:31 (Ref:293115)   #20
eatapc
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by djb
Oh, if you'd be interested, I could even be Mr. wine-getter, so you 'all don't have to buy some dubious deppanneur wine (corner store). Just a suggestion, let me know if you want to discuss wines, prices etc.
I have a halfway decent wine cellar, so I'll volunteer to bring a few bottles with me. Red, of course, as I'd have no way to refrigerate any whites. Is there another volunteer that'll split the duty with me?
Old 23 May 2002, 13:27 (Ref:293551)   #21
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was about to volunteer some selections from my cellar because we are driving to Montreal, but, I'm afraid our logistics might make it difficult. We are staying at a fairly remote hotel, then driving to the nearest metro station. I fear it would be difficult to haul the bottles with us all day. (does the track restrict things like glass bottles?)

Maybe we should take dj's suggestion, and allow him to be our wine steward (can't spell "sommlier")? And if anyone was willing and able to contribute from your own selection, I'm sure they'd be welcomed and appropriately compensated.
Old 25 May 2002, 03:46 (Ref:295601)   #22
djb
Veteran

Neil, I’m not sure if there is a "no-glass" policy, but then again, would you really want to lug it around all day, and worrying about an accident? You can always let me know what part of town your hotel is in, if it is in my end of town, perhaps we could arrange a lift. As for parking near a Metro station, be very careful of reading the French only signage, for the no-parking times, ie street cleaning times, resident zone areas (and times) etc, this city is full of confusing signs that generate a fair amount of income from parking tickets.

Do any of you have an idea of how long you’ll hang around at the track? I’m assuming that everyone will want to get back to their hotel for a shower, and definitely-not-eating-a-peanut-cluster needs to drop off the kids and make sure they are alright. All this is to say that as the restaurant fellow told me that the 6pm setting must be out for the 9pmsetting, if you all find that 6 is too early , I can always find another place for 7.
Depending where you are at the track, it could take an hour to get back to your hotels, so let me know how you feel about the timing.
I did get a menu last night, but it's only in French and I'm too tired right now to try to translate, but the prices are in range noted in the website Jaimie found. The "5 services"-hor'doeurve,soup, main course,salad and dessert is $31can.

that's all for now, I'm off to see how today's sessions went at Monaco.
Old 25 May 2002, 04:17 (Ref:295607)   #23
eatapc
Veteran

The 6 pm dinner time is pretty early for a Saturday night, but I'll happily go along with it if the restaurant is good. 7 pm would be better, all else equal. I do like the idea of BYOB to keep expenses down, and I'll definitely contribute a few bottles.

P.S. I'm staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain -- the infamous "cheese grater" building. (Thankfully it's not the even uglier "peanut brittle" building. )
Old 25 May 2002, 04:45 (Ref:295619)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Unfortunately, and unbelievably, they've yet to release a schedule for the support races this weekend, so it's hard to say when we'll want to be there. The only series that I know will be there is the Formula Fords. Unfortunately, the Atlantics racers have moved their race to be a support race to the Cart race later in the year.

I've been lucky to snag nice job as a financial analysis clerk for the summer, so I'll be able to afford a few extradrinks , and the rest of the weekend shouldn't be a problem. Although I'll leave the wine selection to you guys, I know nothing about wine. Of course I'll compensate whoever supplies it.

btw, just as a survey, where are you guys going to be watching the (action?) from? I have a grandstand ticket for 33 at turns 6 and 7, but as always, will likely spend much time around the hairpin (great photo ops, and good place to watch support races) Dave, hope to see you snapping photos aroud here on Saturday.
Old 25 May 2002, 12:20 (Ref:295798)   #25
djb
Veteran

Basically, I don't want everyone to feel rushed, so if the other characters would rather go for 7, just say the word, if there is one thing Montreal is not lacking, it is restaurants, many with BYOB.
The "cheese grater" description is exactly what that building looks like!
Jaimie, that is strange that they do not have a schedule out yet, and that's too bad about the Atlantic cars. I guess that will just leave the FF, the Ferrari smash up derby and maybe some VW Bugs or something. Yes, Saturday I'll be wandering around as usual, and so would be up for a meeting if anyone would like.(limited of course to my peanut gallery ticket zone restrictions)

oh, and ps, for those arriving by car, I think that the Jacques Cartier Bridge is closed during the night sometimes for repairs, I recall seeing some signs to that effect lately--something like midnight to 8 perhaps. Neil, I imagine that you'll be droning along the 401, so that shouldn't be a problem, but just thought to mention it.

Last edited by djb; 25 May 2002 at 12:24.