Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 22 Aug 2002, 14:33 (Ref:363694)   #1
alfaman
Racer

Mauritius
Middlesex
alfaman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Criticising Castle Combe

For how much longer will Castle Combe be considered the poor relation of Britain's racing circuits? Teams and drivers are always quick to criticise the track when something goes wrong and blame the closeness of the tyre walls, the narrowness of the track or that it's too windy/sunny/wet etc...

When one of the Graham Nash Motorsport Saleen's had an accident at Camp corner during this year's F3/GT meeting the team boss was quick to highlight his "safety concerns" about the GT championship racing at Castle Combe. Despite the fact that his car was T-boned by a Porsche and didn't go anywhere near the "dangerously close tyre walls."

But after Oulton Park when 2 of his cars were scooped up and returned to the factory in hundreds of pieces after hitting various things INCLUDING the tyre wall not a word of criticism. And no demands that Oulton Park is taken off the 2003 calendar.

Does he have a personal dislike of Castle Combe or did he just want to blame someone or something for what was essentially a racing incident.

His type of comments aren't rare - Richard West always said that the TOCA tour would never visit Combe - just imagine the crowd if it did!

Personally I think it's a wonderful circuit with a fantastic atmosphere amongst the spectators - particularly at Quarry corner.

It's a shame people from high profile championships have to make such derogatory comments because casual spectators and some competitors may be put off without ever going there.

I discovered it 10 years ago and despite the chicanes and the new debris fencing (and the commentators! - but that's a different story & thread) I always look forward to meetings there.

For anyone who's not been try it - as Dr Pepper says "What's the worst that can happen?" Unless you're in a Saleen I suppose.
Old 22 Aug 2002, 17:07 (Ref:363762)   #2
THR
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wolverhampton, England
THR has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
i love combe.... my fav track. good racing.. close.. can see a lot.. cant see its unsafe.

didnt know they complained about it! the GT+F3 meeting was awesome... really good!
they reckon its bumpy to... but i wouldnt say it is more than some of the other ones!

just needs a bigger paddock and garages... but then half the circuits do!

love it