Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 24 May 2003, 13:02 (Ref:608652)   #1
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First Solo 2 event !

I was driving my SVT Focus . I finnished 43rd out of 56 cars.Not great,but I learned a lot.My times went from 69 seconds and two cones eaten,down to 62 seconds and no cones hit on the fourth run. I hope to do better at the next one.It's being run on part of a road course .It will be faster with a more open course,which I like better.
I also hope to have the car better prepared..

Alan
Old 24 May 2003, 23:23 (Ref:609096)   #2
coln72
Racer

coln72 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Good stuff. Its a good sign that you are improving and an even better on that you were not last (my main aim). Just remember not to go to hard to early while you are still learning about your car.

You may wont to think about tyre pressures and play a little to see what your car likes. Personally I can run up to 50psi in the front depending on the surface (trying to help the car turn in and to stop the tyres rolling under)
Old 24 May 2003, 23:49 (Ref:609113)   #3
fast95pony
Veteran

Canada
Calgary,Alberta,Canada
fast95pony should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That's one of the things I'm going to change.I had 45 psi in the front,35 in the back. I'll try 50 psi next time. Also less petrol,and remove the spare tire/jack and don't eat a big lunch before !!
Old 27 May 2003, 07:22 (Ref:611151)   #4
coln72
Racer

It all helps. The passenger seat and interior may not be hard to remove.....
Old 2 Jun 2003, 16:30 (Ref:617960)   #5
Chui
Rookie

Chui should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
50 psi sounds like a lot and you have what appears to be too great a pressure difference between the front and rear. The car is naturally balanced, but you're risking (a) lots of understeer or (b) if 50 psi is too great lots of understeer with damaged tires.

In my ITR I run 33 psi front 30 psi rear on the street and 35 psi front and 32 psi rear for open track days and autocrosses alike.

Check for some SVT Focus messageboards and see what they are doing. Also, check out the excellent US magazine Grassroots Motorsports. I think they have a website, too.

Last edited by Chui; 2 Jun 2003 at 16:30.
"This is the law: The purpose of fighting is to win. There is no possible victory in defense. The sword is more important than the shield and skill is more important than either. The final weapon is the brain. All else is supplemental." ~ John Steinbeck
Old 4 Jun 2003, 04:24 (Ref:620006)   #6
coln72
Racer

I run these pressures to stop wearing out the outside edge of the front tires. It also helped the car turn in. I was not worried about mid corner understeer as with a locked diff and rwd it is real easy to steer the car on the throttle.

Also these pressuresd were used for a really slow event, there would be less of a gap front to rear for faster courses.