Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:16 (Ref:633274)   #1
coxmattycox
Racer

coxmattycox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Proton/rockinham

After reading the proton post it sais, "with Team PSP in the thick of the action."

dose any one believe, they will be up there OR will they struggle to keep up with the new peugeots,
hmm , i dont see it happining
Old 16 Jun 2003, 18:26 (Ref:633278)   #2
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The car is quite competitive. Leslie has had a few podiums and Bennett has qualified it in the top ten; it aint yet a winner but I don't think it's too far behind MG on ultimate pace.

The Peugeot 307s as yet are very disappointing.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 11:46 (Ref:634060)   #3
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Give them a chance. This is such a negative forum which is filled with 13 year olds who no nohting.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:01 (Ref:634083)   #4
Jamie P-E
Racer

Jamie P-E is a back marker
Micheal give the 307 a chance, its a cracking road car so it should be a good race car.

Jamie
Old 17 Jun 2003, 12:04 (Ref:634093)   #5
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
And they have only done very limited testing, if any.

Last edited by Hobson; 17 Jun 2003 at 12:05.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 14:36 (Ref:634363)   #6
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And they've developed it Privately, with no backing from Peugeot, so I think they've done a stellar job. If they can beat Proton, even occasionally, the PSP humilation will be immense. Leslie and Bennett is theoretically a better lineup than Eaves and Breeze as well.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 14:37 (Ref:634364)   #7
coxmattycox
Racer

er, there me thinking this post was about PROTON
Old 17 Jun 2003, 15:15 (Ref:634414)   #8
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Erdosfreak
Give them a chance. This is such a negative forum which is filled with 13 year olds who no nohting.
Freak, please don't insult us unless you want it back

The pugeot i feel is going very well at the moment, it just needs time, i'm happy with what i've seen so far though
Old 17 Jun 2003, 17:07 (Ref:634541)   #9
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

With all due respect, excuse me but it sounds like your the one with the negative attitude.

Firstly you can't spell know or nothing.

Secondly, what kind of message are you sending out? The younger people on this forum come here to express thier opinions just like you do! What right do you have to publicly doubt the younger users. If you dont like something, have a word with a moderator.

Thirdly, this is a bit youthist realy. I've seen plenty of older users talk absolute rubbish, but I dont see you publicly slateing them. Infact you are completely miss-informed because there are some very tallented and clued up "kids" on this forum, if you them the chance.

And before you say it im not 13. Im sticking up for the younger members because someone has to! And I will appologise for this post in advance.

Last edited by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man; 17 Jun 2003 at 17:09.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 17:41 (Ref:634578)   #10
SPARK Msport
Veteran

England
Carshalton, Surrey
SPARK Msport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And before you say it im not 13. Im sticking up for the younger members because someone has to! And I will appologise for this post in advance.
Thanks, nice to see someone stands up for the `younger` members. If I may post my view i am a little bit disappointed in Proton, after Leslie said last year that the car would be a race winner i feel sorry for the team after all there problems (some not even there fault, pitlane probs and on-track). The new 307 is new, needs more testing - we havent seen this car rock the btcc world yet! When that car is sorted it will go like a rocket just remember who its designed by and who rans the team!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 17:42 (Ref:634580)   #11
coxmattycox
Racer

ARGH!!! the post was about proton!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:12 (Ref:634623)   #12
Jimeth
Racer

Jimeth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will you calm down!
Yes the Proton is disappointing for a supposed Works team, you'd expect them to be near the front, and when they are its normally through luck. However they have showed promise at time, and i know their budget isn't the biggest, plus all the commotion with their new suspension (weren't they allowed some extra testing for this?) so lets see how the next few races pan out for them. Leslie and Bennett deserve some good results!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 18:31 (Ref:634657)   #13
Reido Rules
Veteran

Reido Rules should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just get the opinion that PSP seem to be doing everything they can to impeed the process of the touring car effort. The back ground reshuffles and the prevention of 2002 cars being sold for capital have been poor moves. The team also spent comparitively few hours on the test track in the winter, so the fact that they can keep pace with MG and sometimes at least 1 Honda [cough] Chilton [/cough] is quite an achievement.

I find it hard to give Praise to VLR, I have no doubt that the 406's would have had more pace. Vic addmitted onec that he thought he'd taken on too much. I don't think he has but, he should have started earlier or used the 406's for a couple of meets while the 307's were made to perfection. I just feel that the 307's were a little rushed. But we can all be a genius afterwards!

I'm not 13 (far from it now) but years ago I was on a forum like this and all the 'adults' ganged up on me for my mistakes, and took the **** out of my age. There was no mature head like Sim! Credit, for sticking up for the small man.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:05 (Ref:634703)   #14
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To save time, couldn't VLR have purchased some used 307 racing cars and converted them to BTC spec? OTOH, to understand a car, it helps to scratch build it yourself.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:14 (Ref:634720)   #15
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
proton will be in the thick of the action. the production class action...
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:36 (Ref:634756)   #16
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
VLR would just be creating a bigger problem out there for themsleves. They had a Production 307 built (now Boardmans) but it's far easier to build a tourer from scratch than convert another car.

Back on topic (and this is where it should stay) Proton seem to be having a more difficult 2nd year than their first. Always that way I suppose.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:43 (Ref:634771)   #17
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
I do wonder if Vic was correct when he said he'd taken on too much. Designing and building 2 brand new touring spec 307s with a very late start date is enough for most teams. On top of that they have supplied a production 307 to Tom Boardman and are offering support to him. They have also undertaken the task of building a second production car for Team Varta too and are also running a two car Porsche Cup team. They have prepared one of the 406s for the STCC and will be providing personnel to run the car AND I believe they are involved in building rally cars too...!!

The fact that the Jimmy Edwards car is so late in delivery is an indication of just how much Vic has on his plate. However, despite all this, his team have worked wonders with their pair of 307s and respect is due.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 19:58 (Ref:634803)   #18
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Yep don't they run Peugeots BRC team ? (and I have an inkling they have something to do with the 206 Cup too)
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:30 (Ref:634844)   #19
Erdosfreak
Rookie

Erdosfreak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I apologise I was in a mood earlier.
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:33 (Ref:634855)   #20
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I apologise I was in a mood earlier.
I appologise for having ago at you earlier.

No hard feelings?
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:51 (Ref:634872)   #21
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Come on ladies, please keep it on topic!
Old 17 Jun 2003, 20:55 (Ref:634876)   #22
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no hard feelings. (formerly erdosfreak, changed name, bored of old one)
Old 17 Jun 2003, 22:07 (Ref:634958)   #23
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those Protons had a lot of straight line speed last year but lost out heavily in the corners, how have they compared this year against the other teams in top speeds? It is slightly disappointing that a team with a big sponsor like Petronas are so near the back of the grid but it may not be due to lack of development or lack of funding it may simply be that the Impian was a bad platform to begin with. Has anyone here driven one of these cars? if so what are they like as road cars?

As for Peugeot, now that they have a decent car to base their car on i'm sure they'll be getting on the pace by the end of season. I think we may see a return of at least a semi-works team next year after the recent announcements made by alan gow.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 10:56 (Ref:635381)   #24
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
proton completely underinvested in this season and effectively have started this season with a very similar car as last year. their development is a way behind vauxhall and mg.
Old 18 Jun 2003, 15:00 (Ref:635600)   #25
the_tsar
Racer

the_tsar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a shame really that they aren't up to speed. Compared to last year things seem to have gone down hill now that only Vauxhall and Honda are in realistic contention. We've got used to all teams doing fairly well over the last few years but it isn't that different from the 90's. Proton could be compared (some how) with Ford in 96 I suppose.