Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 27 Jul 2003, 03:18 (Ref:672289)   #1
sgjb
Racer

sgjb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Team Player's being investigated once again: Carpentier spun on purpose!!??

It is being reported that the Cart brass are held up in seclusion listening to audio of Player's pit to Carpentier's Car. The rumor is Player's asked Patrick to try and kill the session by rubbing a wall and coming to a stop on the main straight thus preserving Player's and Paul's pole position. Patrick had a second lap time similar and would remain on row 3 even though he would bring out a red flag. He probably was a little too good at it as the car was quite damaged. It seems Player's is really wanting to go out with a bang with dominating each Canadian race. Any thoughts!
Old 27 Jul 2003, 03:22 (Ref:672293)   #2
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Um, no. No chance of that. Who said that anyway? Intentionally crashing your car to preserve your teamate's best time? I sincerely doubt it. If drivers and teams are seriously suspecting this than they're just whining and they lose all credabitlity from me. I'd just like to know where you got this from.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 03:23 (Ref:672294)   #3
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They asked him to crash the car?! Does anyone else think that sounds totally ridiculous?
Old 27 Jul 2003, 04:10 (Ref:672302)   #4
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think Patreek Carbender needs anyone to tell him how to spin.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 04:47 (Ref:672306)   #5
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comment about the red flag to protect tracy was on Speed during the live broadcast of quali.
And i agree, Patreeek Carbender is a hole, and well it was coincidence
Old 27 Jul 2003, 05:05 (Ref:672310)   #6
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is the most ludicrous theory I've heard in years. Nancy Boy and Junky should go crying home to their mommies if they're going to whine every time one of the big boys shows them up!
Old 27 Jul 2003, 05:10 (Ref:672311)   #7
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
This is the most ludicrous theory I've heard in years. Nancy Boy and Junky should go crying home to their mommies if they're going to whine every time one of the big boys shows them up!
I agree with you Lee. I gotta say whilst CART is raising Media interest with all the *****in' going on lately I find it negative, and frankly quite often couldn't care less who blocked whom. So what. Happens in nearly every racing series in the world
Old 27 Jul 2003, 05:41 (Ref:672316)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I also find this week to week whining about who blocked who between the drivers to be very boring, but what I find interesting is this on going feud between PT and Pook. Can't wait to find out what's really going on.....hope it's not serious enough to drive Paul out of CART.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 06:01 (Ref:672323)   #9
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, I preferrd it when teh week to week whining was about who ran into who....that was more interesting.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 27 Jul 2003, 06:37 (Ref:672337)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't think anyone would be stupid enough to intentionally crash their car... hmm, well...
Old 27 Jul 2003, 11:19 (Ref:672418)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dov
I also find this week to week whining about who blocked who between the drivers to be very boring, but what I find interesting is this on going feud between PT and Pook. Can't wait to find out what's really going on.....hope it's not serious enough to drive Paul out of CART.
We will have an eyewitness account of this brouhaha on our site today.

I have been trying to imagine Bernie Ecclestone and Jacques Villeneuve screaming at each other over the urinals during a VIP party, and I just can't make it work. Perhaps Mr. Pook needs more from Bernie than financial aid -- he needs to learn how to behave like a CEO!
Old 27 Jul 2003, 11:21 (Ref:672420)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As for the idea that anybody would ask a teammate to sacrifice his life (lets face it, you cannot know what will happen when you crash a car, intentionally or otherwise) so that a teammate can retain pole position -- well, even Ferrari would not stoop that low, and even Rubens would not offer his life for TGF's championship. The crybabies have gone so far overboard now that they may not even be able to see the ship they fell off.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 14:05 (Ref:672482)   #13
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Liz

I have been trying to imagine Bernie Ecclestone and Jacques Villeneuve screaming at each other over the urinals during a VIP party, and I just can't make it work. Perhaps Mr. Pook needs more from Bernie than financial aid -- he needs to learn how to behave like a CEO!
Yep. I'm with you but I have to wonder how much of this is really to do with Tracy. I'm starting to wonder how much of this was politically motivated. If Forsythe buys CART, doesn't he want to reinstall Heiztler as CEO? Was Heiztler popular when he had the job before? I don't know much about that time except that he didn't seem to be doing a good job but that may have been more to do with the situation as it was at the time. What political motivation would people have to see that either CART is being run by a bunch of chimps or that Forsythe has too much control. Who has the most to gain by p*****g Forsythe off?

Do Haas and Gentelozzi have more political clout in CART than the others (except for Forsythe, of course)?

I'm wondering if there is a large behind the scenes movement in CART to see that Forsythe doesn't buy it. I have no idea what Forsythes plans are for CART but maybe there is a large group who is against a more international series and would like to see CART return to an American based series.

I'm really wondering what Gentelozzi's political motives could be since it seems he was the chief instigator in this incident. I mean Tags is, what, 9th in the championship? He's 7th on the grid this weekend? I doubt, despite Tags assertion otherwise, that he would have been on the pole if Tracy hadn't blocked him. It's not like Tags is going to challenge Tracy or Junquiera for anything. And even Junquiera seemed suprised by the ruling.

Hmmm....is something fishy going on here? I just love a good conspiracy theory.

Of course there is the distinct possibility I've been reading too much into this.

Cheers
Old 27 Jul 2003, 15:40 (Ref:672510)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heitzler?!

Good lord, Radioshoes, PLEASE, don't even mention that accursed name unless you've got some direct evidence!!!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 27 Jul 2003 at 15:40.
Old 27 Jul 2003, 16:54 (Ref:672541)   #15
Liz
Veteran

Paul Gentilozzi is very well known as a man the drivers do not like -- but whom they agree to a man is the only one who can save Trans Am. He has learned the lesson that Pook has not yet learned, that it isn't necessary to be loved, but it is vital to be respected. About Mr. Haas I know nothing.

From what I have read, Mr. Heitzler was a fraud.

Personally, just from a lifetime of observation and rather a lot of backstage gossip from hockey players, I suspect this is the bottom line of the difficulty: Pook thinks he can be respected as the CEO, AND be one of the boys. The two roles are mutually exclusive. He must get out of the pitlane, the paddock, and the day to day confrontations, get himself an office and an entourage, and confine his appearances to ceremonial tours unless it is vitally necessary that he be seen. And he MUST hire race stewards who can be firm, consistent and prompt in their actions, and who will not be influenced by crybabies or the least bit interested in who thinks they are circus clowns or dictators -- if they are fair and impartial in their rulings, it won't matter what some disgruntled driver calls them. (If it does matter, they could adopt the stance that hockey refs use: say "What did you say?" and if he's stupid enough to repeat it, fine him.)
Old 27 Jul 2003, 22:27 (Ref:672791)   #16
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rubbing the wall does not mean crashing; but crashing can occur if one rubs a bit too hard.

There is an attorney who might call this a "rush to judgement"

Much stranger things have happned in motor racing
Old 28 Jul 2003, 04:38 (Ref:672923)   #17
MolsonRox
Rookie

MolsonRox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sgjb -- you need a reality check. Just think about how ridiculous your suggestion is. Why on earth would Carpentier risk his wellbeing for Tracy to get pole? He has way too much class to stoop that low. If you're really so bored and looking for a conspiracy in the Players paddock why not consider what happened on race day in Toronto? Carpentier had the fastest car in the morning session and somehow his car was myseriously loose hours later during the race. Do you think "Players brass" can answer that one? Huge difference in stakes between the two to boot.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 07:16 (Ref:672983)   #18
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the 10/10ths Forum, MolsonRox!
Old 28 Jul 2003, 15:58 (Ref:673429)   #19
Radioshoes
Rookie

Radioshoes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Heitzler?!

Good lord, Radioshoes, PLEASE, don't even mention that accursed name unless you've got some direct evidence!!!
Please, call me "shoes".

I have to confess I don't have evidence but then isn't that what great conspiracy theories are made of? I just remember that Forsythe didn't agree with Pook's appointment and didn't he try to block it? I seem to remember reading things like that at the time. I have heard rumours that they don't get along as well but can't say how true that is. I wonder how much Pat and Paul know of Forsythe's plans. If people are trying to block Forsythe from buying CART and Paul knew about it, I wonder how that would affect Paul's outlook. Nah...that's even too far-fetched for me.

As for Mr. H, isn't he running Forsythe's Mexican interests? Wouldn't he be Forsythe's logical choice if Forsythe buys CART?

I really am wondering if all of this is because of the uncertainty in CART right now. Does anyone know what's going on? Nerves are frayed and tempers flaring. It's almost like a powder keg ready to explode. Hopefully Vancouver took care of most of it.

And Liz, thanks for the info on Gentilozzi. Makes me wonder how Tags and him get along. Isn't Tags a bit temperamental? I agree with you about Pook, he does need to act more like a CEO. But I wonder if his behaviour is more a result of the tension he must be feeling over the things that are going on that we can't see. All of this in Vancouver just seems so reactionary.

Isn't there supposed to be a big announcement on the 7th of August? I seem to remember reading that elsewhere. If there is, I wouldn't want to be in CART right now.

Cheers
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:49 (Ref:673464)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Tags and Mr. Gentilozzi get along just fine -- their temperments are quite similar. (You may recall the radio call his boss made to Tags stating, "Either pass somebody on the track or park it!" or something similar, whereupon Tags passed 2 cars.) Personally I like them both, but their wives must be saints.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 16:51 (Ref:673465)   #21
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
In a pre-race interview, Tags clearly stated that he loves his new team and wants very much to stay right where he is.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 17:57 (Ref:673533)   #22
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Radioshoes
As for Mr. H, isn't he running Forsythe's Mexican interests?
Suddenly the cancellation of the ALMS race comes into focus....
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 28 Jul 2003, 23:42 (Ref:673773)   #23
¡As-de-mim!
Veteran

¡As-de-mim! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Carpentier spun on purpose: And then during the race he took out one of PT's main competitors. I can't wait til next weekend to see what Team P/F has up their collective sleeves.
Old 28 Jul 2003, 23:53 (Ref:673786)   #24
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thats a pretty serious allegation.

I can honestly say I cant stantd the way players does things i think its dirty and often cheap, but I can also honestly say thats below everyone who has ever raced, at least I hope so
Old 29 Jul 2003, 00:53 (Ref:673809)   #25
evo
Veteran

Canada
Medicine Hat
evo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, Dominguez sure is a threat to Tracy.