Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 28 Aug 2003, 11:48 (Ref:701694)   #1
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Which race series would you choose?

I was at brands at the weekend as a spectator, not having the funds to race myself.

Which got me thinking: Hypothetically, of all the different forms of racing, which would you choose:

Sports 2000,
FFord (new, Classic)
One-make series
Mixed make series
Classic,
Sports,
Renault Clio's
Fiesta's

The list is almost endless

lets assume we don't have the budget to race in the EuroBOSS series (or classic F1/ Le Mans cars). Which would you choose.

I'm not sure. I love them all, but is pushed might choose Sports 2000. Might...
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:10 (Ref:701714)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Probably FFord (the new ones) or Clio's.
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:30 (Ref:701736)   #3
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Of that list, I'd choose.....

I don't know. What do we class as "Classic" and what as "Sports"?
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:39 (Ref:701745)   #4
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Rallycross without a doubt - sideways action on the dirt and close racing on the tarmac. I just need to find the cash for a 4wd supercar and then the budget to run it. Knackers, there's always something isn't there?

Single seaters are a bit too flimsy for my liking - one little knock and they fall apart (or take off). Got to have a little bit of door banging (non-contact sport of course but it can't be helped).
Old 28 Aug 2003, 12:47 (Ref:701754)   #5
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports 2000
Old 28 Aug 2003, 13:21 (Ref:701795)   #6
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Grassracers seems fun too. (tiny, lightweight car-like vehicles with 1100cc bike engines)
Old 28 Aug 2003, 13:34 (Ref:701809)   #7
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
FF1600
Old 29 Aug 2003, 08:32 (Ref:702426)   #8
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
classic ... for me ....

Ciao Marco
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:57 (Ref:702690)   #9
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
CTCRC, or if you don't know what it means, Classic Touring Car Racing Club.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 13:59 (Ref:702691)   #10
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
new FFord, the chance to make an impression and move up the ladder if I was good enough. Actually, I did a few FFord races a couple of years ago (local, not the Zetecs) and I'd love the chance to do it again.
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:31 (Ref:702844)   #11
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Classic touring cars with Mustang or Falcon Sprint.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 29 Aug 2003, 16:49 (Ref:702866)   #12
Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
Veteran

Sim_Da_BTCC_Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
William, i'm interested, were you by any chance at one stage talking to ourselves about wanting to race, sitting at Paddock Hill Bend?
Old 30 Aug 2003, 09:06 (Ref:703232)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Hobson
CTCRC, or if you don't know what it means, Classic Touring Car Racing Club.
Yep. Although Historic Sports would be good too.
Old 30 Aug 2003, 19:31 (Ref:703518)   #14
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, id pick the Clios in a heartbeat!

Fiestas well you cant keep the things together during a race, however clios have the reliablity and parts arent too dear for them so thats the best to go for the rest youd need £30,000+ to race a season

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 30 Aug 2003, 22:18 (Ref:703658)   #15
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Formula Fords, whatever form would be brilliant!

Clios would be good but the damage bill would be too much to bear!
Old 1 Sep 2003, 16:13 (Ref:704895)   #16
Williamp
Racer

Williamp should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Sim_Da_BTCC_Man
William, i'm interested, were you by any chance at one stage talking to ourselves about wanting to race, sitting at Paddock Hill Bend?
Donb't think so. I'm a wonderer, and tend to spend my racing days wondering about the track looking for the ideal spot. Still havent found it, although I've recently got into Clearways after a long break. Its really nice to see that part of the circuit after so long!!!
Old 2 Sep 2003, 22:52 (Ref:706236)   #17
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Williamp - what an excellent thread - I have often thought about this myself lost in that fantasy of having won the lottery - and it's got to be Mini7's. Good close racing and as you improve I think you have the ability to move further up the grid.
Clio's would also be good - but IMHO they are getting seriously dangerous and the chances of having a big shunt and hurting yourself severely seem rather on the high side to me!
Old 3 Sep 2003, 10:38 (Ref:706683)   #18
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sports 2000
Old 3 Sep 2003, 11:21 (Ref:706763)   #19
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've read this thread with some interest, and noticed the old chestnut of lack of funds crop up many times. During a race day we often have spectators come to us in the paddock and start a conversation about the cars, and frequently the words " I would love to do this if I had the money come up". In truth it isn't the main stumbling block, we spend about on average £60 per week per car on our racing. That figure can easily be covered by someone who smokes, drinks or has a loan for an £8k car. Don't listen to the costs of people who race with teams, they are always high. If you really have the determination and spare time and ability to work on the car, assuming you choose an appropriate formula
you can get out there with the rest of us and enjoy yourself.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 16:47 (Ref:707130)   #20
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
British GT
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:10 (Ref:707225)   #21
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
You can't beat the good old british Mini - so Mini racing for me.....
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:19 (Ref:707243)   #22
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones You can't beat the good old british Mini - so Mini racing for me.....
You can.

But if that's your bag why not? But which championship?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 18:58 (Ref:707292)   #23
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A Lister Jaguar in the BRDC Fifties Sportscars for me. I love the idea of an open sports racer with far more power than grip and the big Lister fits the bill perfectly.

As a realistic starter series, I'm still enamoured with the idea of running a Porsche 924 though.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 19:35 (Ref:707333)   #24
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
You can.

But if that's your bag why not? But which championship?
Oh Mighty Mini's they look good fun but if someone wants to offer me a free drive at Le Mans then I would pretty happy too......
Old 4 Sep 2003, 05:39 (Ref:707692)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Tim,

Ooh a Knobbly Lister.