Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zanardi to test drive in F1?

From TSN.ca: http://www.tsn.ca/auto_racing/news_s...me=auto_racing

Rubens pushing for Zanardi test drive

TSN.ca Staff
11/15/2003

Rubens Barrichello says he is working on getting Alex Zanardi a test drive with Ferrari.

Barrichello, who competed against Zanardi at a recent karting event in Brazil, said he will do everything he can to get Zanardi on track at Ferrari's test facility in Fiorano.

Zanardi lost both legs in a horrific crash during a CART race in Germany two years ago. Since then, he has returned to competitive racing with the aid of specially modified cars.

In May of this year, he returned to the site of the crash and drove 13 ceremonial laps behind the wheel of a modified ChampCar using a hand control for the clutch and throttle while braking with his artificial right leg, which was fitted to a special pedal.

In September, Zanardi competed 20 practice laps at Monza behind the wheel of a modified BMW 320i touring car before finishing seventh in an October 19 race.

The last time Zanardi sat behind the wheel of a Formula One car was 1999 when he drove for the Williams team in Japan.

Last edited by Dov; 15 Nov 2003 at 21:51.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 21:54 (Ref:784570)   #2
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well he can test the car no problem, and what inputs and coaching he can give to new guys, and the team- this would be a class move, but i wonder what he really is capable of with a modded F1 car, his hands would be busy shifting, a thumb throttle? like an electronic linkage or something- lots can be done, but would it be for a real position or merely a ceremonial, or figurative test team member
Old 15 Nov 2003, 22:02 (Ref:784581)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'd love to see that!
Old 15 Nov 2003, 22:14 (Ref:784597)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I'd like to see it happen as well, its every young Italians boys dream to drive for Ferrari one day and im sure Zanardi is no different.

I remember a few years back now Ferrari gave Alessandro nannini test drive after he severed his arm in a helicopter accident, he returned to racing and was very good in touring cars and then ferrari offered him a test drive to which he said it was the highlight of his career.

I hope Rubens can convince jean todt to give Zanardi a go, he certainly deserves it.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 23:33 (Ref:784646)   #5
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
When Alex came over from CART, there was talk that he had had some discussions with Ferrari, but unfortunately he went to Williams. How things may have turned out differently if he went to a different team.

Would be great to see the man in a Ferrari!
Old 16 Nov 2003, 01:20 (Ref:784701)   #6
alonso11
Veteran

Hungary
Budapest
alonso11 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring

...his hands would be busy shifting, a thumb throttle?
In the ETCC BMW 320i car he used a traditional -even if specially adjusted- pedal to brake (And yea, I think indeed some manual power system).He had two tests before the actual race and also tested a steering brake system but wasn't comfortable with that and then tried using his feet and realised that he still had about 75% of the sensations necessary to assert pressure on his leg in order to brake. He said that at first it was very hard but after working on his physical condition and the structure of the leg it became nearly perfect.

Quote:
Originally posted by gttouring

...but would it be for a real position or merely a ceremonial, or figurative test team member
I don't know what the purpose of the Ferrari test would be two things are for sure:

1.) He will returnt to ETCC in 2004 for a full-season campaign!
2.) Since the tragedy he drove not only the ETCC BMW but also the Champcar Lola very-very competitively.He mixed with the very best (like always) during both occasion: during the champcar test on the Lausitzring he recorded a laptime -37.487- that -if memory serves me- would have put him 5th in the starting line-up (!!!) while during the ETCC race he finished 7th despite racing againts the very best TC pros and having so little experience with touring cars.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 01:40 (Ref:784717)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ah yes indeed- he did place up 5th in the grid with his time in the (Reynard-FordCosworth it was) even more impressive as the Reynards have been the Dogs all season.
and a guy of Zanardi's caliber would have no trouble with touring cars-proper testing would make him a threat and a terror on the track again- I Can't wait for another Zanardi Burnout and Doughnut- but why didn't Alfa Romeo step up and offer him a drive?
Old 16 Nov 2003, 04:11 (Ref:784774)   #8
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The story is that Zanardi took his road BMW to Roberto Ravaglia's garage to get some adjustments made to it, and joked that they should have a go at making the same adjustments to one of the race cars. The race engineer at the team (who worked with Alex in F3000), took it a little more seriously, and it moved on from there.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 11:12 (Ref:784930)   #9
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to see it happen, but what about the safety implications? He wouldn't be able to extract himself from the car within the required 10 seconds for a start.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 11:45 (Ref:784944)   #10
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I presume that would be waived for a test, but it does prevent him (and other disabeld drivers) being able to race in single-seaters. Frankly I think it's absurd. Drivers who wish to compete in modified cars should accept that risk of not being able to get out of the car quickly enough, and, if they want to compete, be allowed to.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:46 (Ref:784968)   #11
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
yeah i hope so.... just for his courage and battling spirt ALESSANDRO deserves it!!
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:51 (Ref:784973)   #12
Maxmil
Veteran

United States
New England, USA
Maxmil should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Took me awhile to think through this proposition. To be truthfull, my first reaction was negative on the grounds that Alex really didn't have the experience or demonstrated abilities to become a "professional" test driver in F1. (By "professional" I mean a test driver who does not test as a steppingstone to his first F1 drive, but tests as a vocation.) In CART, for sure, but Alex's F1 record is undistinguished to put it mildly. Then I went and checked Badoer's record and changed my mind. If Luca could test successfully in F1, there is no reason to suppose that Alex cannot, based on his record.

The second reson is the difficulty in exiting the car in an emergancy, but I think BootsOntheSide has disposed of that one. I share his views.

So, after some thought, I hope Ferrari does it and, obviously, that Alex succeeds in every way.

Old 16 Nov 2003, 14:52 (Ref:785014)   #13
racefanatic
Racer

United States
Mindy
racefanatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be really fun! It would scare me to death, but it would still be exciting. I miss Alex racing competitively! It was great to see him do those laps in Germany and finish well in ETCC. Also, I'm pretty sure that his team finished 4th in that go kart race last weekend. Good luck to Alex!
Old 16 Nov 2003, 15:51 (Ref:785039)   #14
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely it would be more likely that he'd get a test in a BMW Williams? They are the least F1 team he drove for and he has ties with BMW through the ETCC.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 21:53 (Ref:785239)   #15
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by kristof14
Surely it would be more likely that he'd get a test in a BMW Williams? They are the least F1 team he drove for and he has ties with BMW through the ETCC.
Well, i should imagine that Alex and Williams didn't part on the most ideal of circumstances. (although, this is something i'm not 100% certain of), plus Alex doesn't have either Williams driver pushing for his position in the test team, where as, he appears to have Rubens pushing in the Ferrari camp.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 09:52 (Ref:785610)   #16
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I don't expect it to happen, but jeez, if Zanardi gets behind the wheel of an F1, then he will amaze me even more than he already does. A truly remarkable man, he never fails to astound me.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:25 (Ref:785643)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Thread split. Zanardi's 1999 season discussion is now here http://tentenths.com/forum/showthrea...threadid=46587

mac.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 11:03 (Ref:785672)   #18
Asp
Race Official
Veteran

England
Cumbria, UK
Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!Asp has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
I presume that would be waived for a test, but it does prevent him (and other disabeld drivers) being able to race in single-seaters. Frankly I think it's absurd. Drivers who wish to compete in modified cars should accept that risk of not being able to get out of the car quickly enough, and, if they want to compete, be allowed to.
It's a good point, but even fully fit drivers risk their lives when racing - it's just a smaller risk. However, no-one wants to see a major injury. And when the injury is even worse because the driver couldn't get themselves out of the car quickly enough, it's just too nasty to think about.